Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Weird rules for the group ride

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-22-21, 09:52 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts

Sup guys, I tried to ride with a group ive heard about, most of them were super nice but 2 of the leaders told me I couldn't ride with them because I didn't have any kit and didn't sign a waver, which I thought was super weird. They aren't even that fast. Its a climbing ride that slow rolls between hills, so I just stayed behind. At one point another rider passed them on the flats, so of course I had to take off too and was eventually overtaken at the hill, but as soon as I was overtaken I pulled over so as to not "be riding with them." Pretty sure the group leader hates me, meh, and ironically I crashed hard on a corner on the way down a hill after many of them complained at me to get a helmet. Havent crashed that hard on a descent in like 7 years.

My question is, whats the deal with them being uptight about my kit. The group leader told me to come back with a helmet and JERSEY (LOL who requires that!!) is the waver because jerk cyclists will get hurt and sue the club? Whats the big idea here, the local race ride is way more dangerous with much stronger riders, and they don't give a damn about what I ride with.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 06-28-21 at 08:21 PM.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 06-22-21, 09:58 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Sup guys, I tried to ride with a group ive heard about, most of them were super nice but 2 of the leaders told me I couldn't ride with them because I didn't have any kit and didn't sign a waver, which I thought was super weird. They aren't even that fast. Its a climbing ride that slow rolls on hills, so I just stayed behind. At one point another rider passed them on the flats, so of course I had to take off too and was eventually overtaken at the hill, but as soon as I was overtaken I pulled over so as to not "be riding with them." Pretty sure the group leader hates me, meh, and ironically I crashed hard on a corner on the way down a hill after many of them complained at me to get a helmet. Havent crashed that hard on a descent in like 7 years.

My question is, whats the deal with them being uptight about my kit. The group leader told me to come back with a helmet and JERSEY (LOL who requires that!!) is the waver because jerk cyclists will get hurt and sue the club? Whats the big idea here, the local race ride is way more dangerous with much stronger riders, and they don't give a damn about what I ride with.
There is this thing called liability. Groups tend to try to reduce that as much as possible. Around here, if you showed up with no helmet to an organized ride without signing the waiver, you would be told not to ride with the group also.
Old 06-22-21, 10:06 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Sup guys, I tried to ride with a group ive heard about, most of them were super nice but 2 of the leaders told me I couldn't ride with them because I didn't have any kit and didn't sign a waver, which I thought was super weird. They aren't even that fast. Its a climbing ride that slow rolls on hills, so I just stayed behind. At one point another rider passed them on the flats, so of course I had to take off too and was eventually overtaken at the hill, but as soon as I was overtaken I pulled over so as to not "be riding with them." Pretty sure the group leader hates me, meh, and ironically I crashed hard on a corner on the way down a hill after many of them complained at me to get a helmet. Havent crashed that hard on a descent in like 7 years.

depends also if the group ride is under the auspices of a club with club officers - these individuals could also be held personally liable in the event of a suit. If the local race is, for example, an informal event, there’s no organization or officers to sue. Our club insists on helmets and everyone signing an annual waiver. A ride doesn’t have to be hammering for people to be injured in a crash. We also have a club jersey, but most people don’t bother with it - your club seems to take it more seriously - so be it. If you don’t want to play by their rules, you’re free not to ride with them. They’re also free to tell you to scram
Likes For Litespud:
Old 06-22-21, 10:08 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
If it's an official club, their insurance may stipulate the wearing of helmets on any club rides in order to be covered.

The waiver thing is most likely related to that also. It's a litigious world we live in these days unfortunately and clubs do need to cover themselves.

Or then again, maybe they just don't like you.....
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 06-22-21, 10:14 PM
LarrySellerz

Ooh that makes sense, this ride is open to anyone but its an "official" club ride, wasn't thinking about insurance and liability.. The race is unstructured with no leader. Thanks guys this makes more sense now
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 06-22-21, 10:25 PM
krakhaus 

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
You show up to a club ride with no helmet, they say you can't ride with them, but you do anyway, then you crash. I think you made their point quite well.
Old 06-22-21, 10:44 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by krakhaus
You show up to a club ride with no helmet, they say you can't ride with them, but you do anyway, then you crash. I think you made their point quite well.
the universe works in mysterious ways, im pretty confidant that them telling me to get a helmet and me telling them to **** off was related to the crash. IDK if god is real but the universe appreciates irony, might be scared into wearing a helmet. They were super nice for the most part, one guy even asked to take my picture because im a wild man, was shirtless on a hybrid. https://imgur.com/gallery/FmANBH0 pic of myself after crash. Bikes in worse shape

Also even though I didn't ride with them I was still helpful I think, I swept and encouraged the few riders strung off the back and offered to pull them back to the group, notified the real sweeper a few times when they had dropped someone.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 06-22-21 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-22-21, 11:12 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
Let's see. A shirtless, helmetless guy on a hybrid shows up as a stranger on a group ride.

A guy who looks like that most likely has sketchy skills. I'm not riding anywhere near him.

Old 06-22-21, 11:21 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Yeah, I don’t think any of those rules are weird for a ride organized by a club.
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-22-21, 11:56 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by caloso
Yeah, I don’t think any of those rules are weird for a ride organized by a club.
Asking me to wear a jersey threw me off, like any jersey not the team jersey lol.
Old 06-23-21, 12:02 AM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Asking me to wear a jersey threw me off, like any jersey not the team jersey lol.
A jersey helps keep sweat from flinging off your body on to other people.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 06-23-21, 12:27 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by colnago62
A jersey helps keep sweat from flinging off your body on to other people.
lol.... now ive heard it all.
Old 06-23-21, 12:38 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
You turned up to a club's organised group ride with no helmet and no top?!?!

Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 06-23-21, 12:41 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
You turned up to a club's organised group ride with no helmet and no top?!?!

yeah on a flat bar hybrid without foot retention too. Won't show my face again because A) too embarrassed after crashing and B) apparently this is a no drop ride that discourages attacks unless its a hill. Im out here to be the fastest, not to have fun

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 06-23-21 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-23-21, 12:50 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Im out here to be the fastest, not to have fun
Hm. Well, not wearing a helmet saves you some drag, but your hair and beard probably make up for that.

As for rocking a hybrid, you obviously don't mind a significant handicap...
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 06-23-21, 01:08 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Hm. Well, not wearing a helmet saves you some drag, but your hair and beard probably make up for that.

As for rocking a hybrid, you obviously don't mind a significant handicap...
The hybrid triggers cat 6 in the actually fast people who are out on long structured training rides and might otherwise let me go, most of the riding I do is commuting so I'm going much harder for a much shorter distance than most. If I want to race randoms (pretty much the main reason I ride) the hybrid works way better than a road bike.

Like if I was riding a road bike and ucanttouchthis was on the tail end of his recovery double imperial century ride, he might let me go cause he is tired, but if I passed him on the hybrid he would throw down like 3k watts and try to pass me, the race is on

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 06-23-21 at 01:33 AM.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 06-23-21, 01:22 AM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I have talked to people involved in a club/group ride in Australia, but have not ridden with them. There are quite a lot of people involved, and went on serious rides, including overnight camping. They said they join the club/group, but don't pay any money, and people organize rides. Which makes me think, they must not have insurance. They probably wont have any problems, as it is probably not an official identity, and there is no one to sue.
Old 06-23-21, 01:29 AM
alo

In Australia, there are a lot of surf lifesaving clubs, where they help anyone who needs help while swimming at the beach. They save a lot of lives. The lifesavers are volunteers and don't get paid. But the clubs need to pay for insurance.
Old 06-23-21, 01:33 AM
alo

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Let's see. A shirtless, helmetless guy on a hybrid shows up as a stranger on a group ride.

A guy who looks like that most likely has sketchy skills. I'm not riding anywhere near him.
You could ride with me, except I am in a completely different part of the world.
Old 06-23-21, 01:50 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Group riding isn't about being fast enough to keep up. Group riding is a set of skills, and experience shows that randos who show up intentionally dressed NOT to fit in are very unlikely to have those skills. A group rolling at 20-30mph in close formation requires A LOT of trust, because things can go really bad, really fast.

Good example - I used to ride with a club. We were doing their Saturday AM ride, accelerating along Portola toward Sand Hill. Just passed the junction with Mountain Home, and suddenly there's the unmistakeable sound of a bike and rider hitting the pavement and the whole group flares out, slows down, barely avoiding crashing into each other. Somebody who wasn't part of the ride went ripping past them and cut into the line. He wasn't the one who went down and he didn't stick around after he brought the other guy down, either. That guy ended up having to call for a ride, because some rando without the necessary skills tried to cut into a group ride.

Look, I understand your schtick. You're the guy who can hang with the fast boys but doesn't dress like them or ride one of those fancy bikes. Maybe you're reasonably fast, maybe not. But the whole act does not make people want you in their paceline, where following the rules and acting predictably are paramount.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-23-21, 04:48 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Great thread. Thanks, LS!
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 06-23-21, 05:08 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
I'm not a group rider, but I'd be inclined to side with the group leaders' decision to ask you to not ride with them. There are certain etiquettes for any group activity be it a ride or run. Showing up without a helmet is seen as a disregard for your personal safety so why would anyone in the group feel you would respect their safety? If it is an organized club or group, the waiver is not an unreasonable request as well.

I have profound hearing loss, I'm an introvert and anxiety that would make me worry about being "that guy" that spoils another's enjoyment have made me avoid group rides. However if I did join one, I know that I would need to abide by the rules of the group be they club structured or simply a friendly group activity. I think you should look into why the group did not welcome you and correct those things before joining another group ride.

Last edited by Chuck M; 06-23-21 at 05:40 AM.
Likes For Chuck M:
Old 06-23-21, 05:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Great thread. Thanks, LS!
Definitely exhibits, like, creativity.
Old 06-23-21, 06:21 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
I've never experienced a weirdo trying to crash a club ride. We'd get a kick out of seeing Sup Larry on the road. Probably give him a beer if he could wait around for us to finish. In fact, it would be fun to have some our other members show up. Cheez for example, maybe even our two special guys from across the big water!

Last edited by shelbyfv; 06-23-21 at 11:23 AM. Reason: more inclusive
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-23-21, 06:42 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
While riding with a helmet is a really good idea (a friend crashed last week..lower speed fortunately, but he did split his helmet..fortunately not his head).

Personally, I don't ride with people that use the word "kit". Such a BS term. Not impressed with the attitude that often goes with it..and I've been riding the road for 45 years.

I'm a great fan of using a "non-standard" bike to ride with or better than all the "well kitted" boys.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.