Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Saddle Specs

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-21, 04:43 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Saddle Specs

I’m looking for a saddle that is nearly flat across the top along its length, width in the low 140’s, and one that quickly tapers/narrows to the nose, and rounds off to the sides around its widest part.

Not sure if this explanation gives a good visual?

Some saddles that don’t work for me:
- Selle SMP, top is too curvy. My sit bones like resting on a small (2-4 degree) dip and with this saddle being so wavy, the curve up digs into my perineum
- Ergon and many others too square in the back, and flat from side to side with not much tapering to the nose, so my hips don’t clear properly
- Fizik Arione is too narrow

Im looking around the net and struggling to find something that works. I have a Fabric Curve on order, we’ll see how that fits.

Thanks!
Old 09-29-21, 05:15 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 1,027 Posts
Selle Italia are generally flat; did you look at those?
Likes For chaadster:
Old 09-29-21, 05:44 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Fizik pave cx
Sella Italia flite boost
Kontact
E3 form

I ride on flat and firm saddles. There are many others that I've liked, too. Where are you located, and how much are you willing to spend?
Old 09-29-21, 08:21 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 692 Posts
Scoop

Fabric makes the Scoop Saddle in several curves........ Details

Barry
Old 09-29-21, 05:24 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10-02-21, 04:28 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, Selle Italia, especially the SLS and SLR models. I have Selle Italias on two road bikes. The SLS Kit Carbonio is narrow (about 130mm, I think), long, pretty flat. The Q-Bik is around 140mm, I think.

The third has an older Cobb V Flow (primarily a triathlon saddle), which I didn't like at first but do now after making a few bike fit adjustments. The shape and measurements are comparable to my Selle Italia Q-Bik, a bit flatter toward the nose, but much more padded which took some getting used to. It's fine now.

All of these allow me to scoot around on the saddle to suit my preferences for cadence and knee angle depending on the terrain. I don't like being locked into a single position on a saddle for longer rides. A smoother saddle surface suits me better.

My 20 year old Selle San Marco was very comparable -- flat, narrow, long, slightly flexible plastic shell -- but the cover is so worn and rough I can't slide onto the nose and back as easily anymore. I'll probably move it to one of my hybrids for casual rides.

I also tried a Bontrager Ajna, marketed as a woman's saddle but ... it's just a fairly conventional black road saddle with perineum relief cutout like the Cobb V Flow and Selle Italia Q-Bik. Overall it would have been fine but the pebbly texture made it difficult for me to scoot around easily onto the nose and back, so the saddle is in a box waiting for another project or maybe to sell or give away. The nose was a bit shorter than my preferred saddle but that wasn't as much a factor as the grippy texture.