Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I ride a $200 mtnBike that I bought 20 years ago. Can you still get a $200 bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I ride a $200 mtnBike that I bought 20 years ago. Can you still get a $200 bike?

Old 10-04-21, 04:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
The exceptional 2020 BF crop has not improved with age.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-04-21, 06:44 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Is it just me or are we seeing many many more threads like this that normally occur during winter when people are bored?

This is a really a boring subject that has been overused and abused over the years. OP doesn't like how much more bikes cost now, "regular" people would be better off with Wal Mart bikes...blah blah blah....

hmmmm, what is a regular person? Definition:

average people: (AmE) The terms average Joe, ordinary Joe, Joe Sixpack (for males) and ordinary, average, or plain Jane (for females), are used primarily in North America to refer to a completely average person, typically an average American.Nov 14, 2014

Or:

The definition of a regular is a person who routinely visits the same place, or a garment size for men of average build and height. An example of a regular is someone who stops at the same coffee shop every day on their way to work.

Noun
Regular person man in the street Mr. Average average Joe Everyman John Doe ordinary citize

My god...this is boring.....and I'm buying into this boring thread.....AUGHHHH.......
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 10-04-21, 06:56 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Is it just me or are we seeing many many more threads like this that normally occur during winter when people are bored?.
The price of popularity ... BF is the premium senseless debate site now .... edging out all the conspiracy-theory sites ..... or maybe a lot of people are tired of informative threads .... after all cycling is pretty simple ... so they have gotten creative with off0site logins to sneak their sock-puppets into the population.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-05-21, 12:59 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Did you get that pre-COVID?
I heard that bike prices went CRAZY
Yeah, I bought it summer before last. But I'm not really seeing a rise in prices on craigslist and FB marketplace where I live. Matter of fact, I've been seeing some killer deals for a bunch of '80's vintage road bikes like never before. But at this point I have too many bikes.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 10-05-21, 04:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Lol. I've been playing guitar for 34 years...both electric and acoustic. I know plenty about them. Trying to compare an old guitar to a bike is apples and oranges.

I agree that the skill set needed to spot the wheat from the chaff is different, but the principle is the same--you need to know what to look for. I also have no doubt that sorting out the good guitar from the crap is probably a harder task. My understanding from my classically trained guitarist is that acoustic guitars tend to deteriorate with age so it's not like finding an old good violin that usually improves with age.
Old 10-05-21, 04:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Yes, it turns out I was wearing boxers under my jorts.
No issues when I freeball it

Ok, but are you still finding riding difficult, unpleasant and boring? You started a thread trying to get us to take a fitness test to rationalize your lack of progress. Basically, you've given us no reason to believe you're using the right bike and quite a few reasons to suspect otherwise.

And I seriously doubt "buy your bike from Amazon" is good advice for a newb. Who's going to help them when the assembly goes bad? If they end up paying an LBS to assemble it, they really won't be saving money.
Old 10-05-21, 07:28 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Is it just me or are we seeing many many more threads like this that normally occur during winter when people are bored?
My takeaway is that CheGiantForLife doesn't have a clue about bikes and what a good bike costs and what quality components are. At that point it doesn't pay to responds to him. Just let him go buy a department store bike and be on his way.
Likes For prj71:
Old 10-05-21, 09:17 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Actually while walking the dog today by a bus stop there was a completely intact mtb thrown in the weeds (no doubt stolen). So I would say one can still get a $200 bike for free.

I did pull the bike out of the weeds and set it up so it was visible to the neighborhood and the next thief.
What I also find funny is those abandonned bikes on bike racks and roadsign posts rusting away. They stay there for years and slowly lose parts as people scavenge them. In the end you have a frame or wheel still attached with a u-lock.
Old 10-05-21, 09:26 AM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts

My $180 bike, bought used this august

With another $100 invested. Saddle needs to be tilted up…
Likes For Flatforkcrown:
Old 10-05-21, 09:31 AM
Flatforkcrown

Bad logic. I've bought amazing guitars that were barely touched and were mint condition. Does not mean the guitar is faulty. Just means seller didn't use it for a multitude of reasons, including maybe just being lazy.
no. The good ones get used. Maybe your ear is as developed as your bike knowledge.
Old 10-05-21, 09:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

This is a really a boring subject that has been overused and abused over the years. OP doesn't like how much more bikes cost now, "regular" people would be better off with Wal Mart bikes...blah blah blah....

hmmmm, what is a regular person? Definition:

average people: (AmE) The terms average Joe, ordinary Joe, Joe Sixpack (for males) and ordinary, average, or plain Jane (for females), are used primarily in North America to refer to a completely average person, typically an average American.Nov 14, 2014

Or:

The definition of a regular is a person who routinely visits the same place, or a garment size for men of average build and height. An example of a regular is someone who stops at the same coffee shop every day on their way to work.

Noun
Regular person man in the street Mr. Average average Joe Everyman John Doe ordinary citize

My god...this is boring.....and I'm buying into this boring thread.....AUGHHHH.......

You forgot another one--a regular person is one who poops on a predictable schedule. I'll leave it to others to assess whether OP's thread production meets this criteria.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-05-21, 09:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts

Those of us familiar with the OP's post history know that that is the goal.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-05-21, 10:01 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You forgot another one--a regular person is one who poops on a predictable schedule. I'll leave it to others to assess whether OP's thread production meets this criteria.
This line of discussion should move over to 50+...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-05-21, 10:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Those of us familiar with the OP's post history know that that is the goal.

He's the guy who started the "how do racers rub their noses" thread, except he gave it a much worse title,

I think the shift here is he's gone from asking experienced riders inane questions to giving us inane advice.
Old 10-05-21, 10:43 AM
Bholz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. BUT I also believe that some of the old stuff is just as good as the newer, more expensive things. Take golf clubs for example. I have a set of old Ping Eye 2's from the 80's that I game better than my new Ping G410's. In this day and age, people always think newer equals better. Do with what you got, and have fun with it.
Old 10-05-21, 10:52 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Bholz
I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. BUT I also believe that some of the old stuff is just as good as the newer, more expensive things. Take golf clubs for example. I have a set of old Ping Eye 2's from the 80's that I game better than my new Ping G410's. In this day and age, people always think newer equals better. Do with what you got, and have fun with it.
Newer DOES equal better when it comes to bikes especially when making the comparison to a bike from 20 years ago. We have better materials, better bearings, better shifters, better chains, better hubs, better brakes etc.

Since golf clubs don't have mechanical moving parts it's just another bad comparison like guitars.
Old 10-05-21, 11:02 AM
Flatforkcrown

Newer DOES equal better when it comes to bikes especially when making the comparison to a bike from 20 years ago. We have better materials, better bearings, better shifters, better chains, better hubs, better brakes etc.

Since golf clubs don't have mechanical moving parts it's just another bad comparison like guitars.
better is subjective. Better for what? Is an entry level new road bike better than my 80 De Rosa professional? Are the cartridge bearings in your hubs better than the bearings cups and cones in old campy record hubs?
Old 10-05-21, 11:06 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
I've never suggested a box-mart bike to a newbie, and probably never will. I've worked on a few, and can even get 'em fairly safe, but I'd never use 'em for anything more than "non-cyclist" utility, like short trips to (insert *nearby* destination here) when I don't want to leave a good bike outside for a time.
I've been there, and even defended my old Huffy when I had it, but with experience and knowledge, left it in the dusty file drawers in the back of my memory. I did give it to a neighbor who ended up leaving it outside to be stolen eventually.
I've done FAR better, for the money, with a good used "real" bike.

By the OP's standards, this should be a perfectly fine camera for the budding photographer!
Old 10-05-21, 12:15 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
He's the guy who started the "how do racers rub their noses" thread, except he gave it a much worse title,

I think the shift here is he's gone from asking experienced riders inane questions to giving us inane advice.
Well, give him some credit. A few of the other ones who surfaced in 2020 started right out giving "advice."
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-05-21, 12:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Well, give him some credit. A few of the other ones who surfaced in 2020 started right out giving "advice."

Can't name names, but there were some interesting bans, as I recall.

One guy seemed to specialize in telling us how much better he was than us and give some platitudinous advice as cover. For some reason, every single one of his posts and threads have been deleted.

Last edited by livedarklions; 10-06-21 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-05-21, 01:34 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by Flatforkcrown
better is subjective. Better for what? Is an entry level new road bike better than my 80 De Rosa professional? Are the cartridge bearings in your hubs better than the bearings cups and cones in old campy record hubs?
Yes and yes.
Old 10-05-21, 01:50 PM
Flatforkcrown

Yes and yes.
ok, now I’m interested. Explain those to me.
Old 10-06-21, 08:12 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Flatforkcrown
ok, now I’m interested. Explain those to me.
If I have to explain you obviously don't know how much better the components are on bikes these days.
Old 10-06-21, 08:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

If I have to explain you obviously don't know how much better the components are on bikes these days.
Cop out, much?

Uh, yeah, that's why he asked the questions you pretended to answer. Generally, if you make an assertion, you should be prepared to support it.

The hubs question was pretty specific. Shouldn't take you more than a few lines to hit it out of the park.
Old 10-06-21, 08:50 AM
Flatforkcrown

Cop out, much?

Uh, yeah, that's why he asked the questions you pretended to answer. Generally, if you make an assertion, you should be prepared to support it.

The hubs question was pretty specific. Shouldn't take you more than a few lines to hit it out of the park.
that’s giving too much credit… they didn’t even pretend to answer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.