Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are Miche cassettes the key to use a Campagnolo drivetrain with a Shimano Freehub?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Are Miche cassettes the key to use a Campagnolo drivetrain with a Shimano Freehub?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-21, 06:36 PM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts

This might be a dumb question but, I always believed Miche offered Campagnolo compatible-only products. As I was shopping for a cassette to use with my 10sp chorus groupset, I noticed that Miche lets you decide (e.g. for the Primato cassette) if you wish to buy the Campagnolo version or the Shimano version. Now this almost certainly means that the inner splines are different on each version, in order to fit the different freehub types.

But do the sprockets also change from a version to the other (i.e. do they replicate the shimano sprockets pattern on one side and the campy pattern on the other)? Or do their cassettes offer a sort of in between that allows you to access the Shampagnolo 3rd dimension? I'd be really happy if I could just used a Miche cassette with a set of Shimano-built Fulcrums that I have lying around, with my Chorus groupset that is.
Old 11-18-21, 07:00 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
JTech Shift Mate Jtek Shiftmate Shimano Campagnolo and SRAM compatibility tables (jtekengineering.com) Andy
Old 11-18-21, 08:28 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
If the wheels are 11sp then you can use an Ultegra cassette on the wheel by placing .2mm spacers, yes 0.2mm, between all the loose cogs, and a 1mm spacer behind it. That will make it so close to Campy spacing you'll wonder why this hadn't been done before. And the reason is that before 11sp you couldn't do it because the freehub wasn't wide enough. A 10sp Shimano freehub is not wide enough to add the spacers, it is just wide enough for the 10 cogs as they are.

I did this on my trainer where it came with an 11sp Shimano and I, like you, have 10sp Chorus.

The problem with Miche is that when I went to buy one they were totally unavailable. Maybe that's changed. The Shimano cassette as I've described accomplishes the same thing, and the Ultegras come in a lot of ranges. The only thing is that they all differ in their cog placement and cages. The one I used had a combined 8-9-10 with the others loose, and I couldn't fit a spacer in the 1-2 position. It still works flawlessly after 3-4 years and I can swap between rear wheel and trainer in about 15 seconds either way.
Likes For zacster:
Old 11-18-21, 08:48 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
There are these conversion cassettes, but not sure how likely it is you have a campy RD for 10s that can do a 32 or 34 tooth cassette: https://www.interlocracing.com/shop/...earch=cassette

Last edited by Sy Reene; 11-19-21 at 09:43 AM.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 11-18-21, 10:15 PM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts
Short cage!
Old 11-18-21, 10:24 PM
zacster

My short cage Chorus can go up to 29, which is what I run now. I don't think it will take any more. These are becoming hard to find too.

I should add that when I needed .2mm spacers I had to cut them myself from overhead projector sheets (remember those?) I used the 1mm spacer that would go behind the cogs as the template and it was a real PITA to do. You may be able to buy them but the good thing about what I did is that they were flexible, although anything that thin would be flexible I guess. Also, when I said Ultegra cassette I meant 10sp, not 11sp. And only Ultegra, not Dura Ace and not 105 or the cheaper ones. Only Ultegra has the loose cogs. I'm not sure if the MTB lines of cassettes are loose or not but if they are they might work too but likely in too large a sprocket.

Last edited by zacster; 11-18-21 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-19-21, 08:33 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
As best I can tell from the Miche catalog their Shimano and Campy 10-speed cassettes differ in both cog configuration and spacers so you can have one or the other. What you are looking for used to be called a "conversion cassette" that had Shimano splines but Campy spacing and I didn't see those in the catalog.
Old 11-19-21, 09:42 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
As best I can tell from the Miche catalog their Shimano and Campy 10-speed cassettes differ in both cog configuration and spacers so you can have one or the other. What you are looking for used to be called a "conversion cassette" that had Shimano splines but Campy spacing and I didn't see those in the catalog.
A "conversion cassette" is what I linked above. I probably should have called it this in my post. I'll edit.
Old 11-19-21, 02:58 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I've used the conversion cassette from Miche with great success. It's a generic shimano cassette with campy cog spacing. Das it. (they don't try to mimic the ramps or shapes of the plates, as I'd imagine that stuff is patented.) It shift great.
Old 11-19-21, 06:01 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by superdex
I've used the conversion cassette from Miche with great success. It's a generic shimano cassette with campy cog spacing. Das it. (they don't try to mimic the ramps or shapes of the plates, as I'd imagine that stuff is patented.) It shift great.
While I don't doubt that it worked for you the ramps are what make the shifts fast and silent.

Maybe the reason Miche gave up on conversion cassettes is that 11sp doesn't need it. The spacing is so close to being the same it doesn't matter. 10sp is becoming a dinosaur, just a bunch of us old folk that cling to it. I do because anything new on a bike will outlast my riding days and the value proposition doesn't work.