Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Other Path Users

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-22, 06:45 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Other Path Users

Lately I have encountered a lot of skaters on the path. It wouldn't be that big of a deal, but they do that Apolo Ohno back and forth thing, eating up the entire path in the process. I am not a skater, but apparently the swerving thing is necessary to maintain a 3 MPH pace. I am not sure that the skaters are aware that their necks allow them to look over their shoulders.

Today was a first. There are several horse stables adjacent to the MS River levee path in the NOLA area. I encounter horses from time to time. The riders are normally good about keeping to one side and monitoring their surroundings. As I came up behind one today, it was moving erratically back and forth across the path. While well behind the horse, and at a volume that I hoped wouldn't startle the horse or rider, I announced my presence. No response. I announced again. No response. When they horse drifted off to the right side, I accelerated past. I looked at the rider as I did. The rider was texting and riding.

I know it's called PAYING attention, but it's actually free. And remarkably easy as an added bonus. That is all.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 02-15-22 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-14-22, 06:57 PM
Russ5415

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi from Baton rouge. All multi use paths have the issue. I found walkers with earbuds to be the worst when I'm comes to being unaware of their surroundings and easily startled. Rarely encounter horses. But when I do I'm uber cautious as a spooked horse is dangerous for everyone.
Likes For Russ5415:
Old 02-14-22, 07:06 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Talk when approaching horse(s). They are normally smarter than their riders. Watch the horses ears. They will point your way to listen. Also watch the riders hands and heals. They will startle and spook their own horse then blame you. Then tell them to take dressage lessons and learn how to really control a horse.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 02-14-22, 07:06 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Russ5415
Hi from Baton rouge. All multi use paths have the issue. I found walkers with earbuds to be the worst when I'm comes to being unaware of their surroundings and easily startled. Rarely encounter horses. But when I do I'm uber cautious as a spooked horse is dangerous for everyone.
Once you get out away from NOLA, these paths are quite good, with very little traffic of any sort. I can easily avoid the higher traffic areas, but a morbid sense of curiosity gets the best of me. And hey, if I didn't have that weird curiosity about me, we wouldn't have awesome threads like this. Yah, I am not too keen on spooking a horse either. Have you seen the teeth on those things?
Old 02-14-22, 07:11 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Talk when approaching horse(s). They are normally smarter than their riders. Watch the horses ears. They will point your way to listen. Also watch the riders hands and heals. They will startle and spook their own horse then blame you. Then tell them to take dressage lessons and learn how to really control a horse.
This was the first rider who thought paying attention costs money. Most of them are very good. Most of the time they see me coming and move to the side. I always pass with minimal speed disparity. When they don't seem to notice me, I slowly approach, slow down to match speed from about 15 feet behind and say "I am coming up behind you." This was the first time a rider has not acknowledged me. I thought it was kinda funny that it was a distracted riding situation.
Old 02-14-22, 07:36 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I can easily avoid the higher traffic areas, but a morbid sense of curiosity gets the best of me.
Kind of like when I open these threads.
Old 02-14-22, 07:47 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Lately I have encountered a lot of skaters on the path. It wouldn't be that big of a deal, but they do that Apolo Ohno back and forth thing, eating up the entire path in the process. I am not a skater, but apparently the swerving thing is necessary to maintain a 3 MPH pace.
Many of the more "wide slice" skaters are actually moving along at a pretty good clip not out of of the range of expectable path cycling speeds.

But regardless, this is what bells are for. People need to be willing to pull things in to occupying only their directional half of the path, regardless if that's their personal movement pattern, their family biking group, their walk with a friend, or their family or dog walk.

And then people who want to pass need to be willing to wait until the oncoming lane is clear.

Expecting to be able to pass someone while using only the half of the path for your direction is more than a bit like a driver who insists they have an inalienable right to pass a cyclist without waiting for an opening in the oncoming lane...

And yes, I'm spoiled, because the overwhelming majority of users of all modes around here actually get it. Things like the day last week when someone continued walking spaced enough from her friend that she remained well over in the opposing lane after the first bell, the second, and as I passed on its far edge ringing continuously are really the exception.

Saturday was the kind of warm preview-of-spring day that had absolutely everyone out on the path, and for a minute I was concerned but people really just got it - only shouting I did was to the under-10 riders in our own group, and that was more precautionary than actually needed, as it's the environment in which they've learned to bike.

Last edited by UniChris; 02-14-22 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-14-22, 07:49 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Rolla
Kind of like when I open these threads.
lololol. This is quality content right here. Have you ever read of a horse rider who is distracted by his phone swerving back and forth across the path?
Old 02-14-22, 08:04 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Have you ever read of a horse rider who is distracted by his phone swerving back and forth across the path?
https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/t...seback.744972/
Old 02-14-22, 08:16 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
I liked this one.

Quite apart from the legalities I think it's a total discourtesy to the horse to use a phone while riding. I know others don't see it the same way and there are such things as emergencies, but it's something I hate to see either out and about or in the school.
Lol what? My horse has never turned round whilst I've been snapchatting him to my friends and flashed a look of disgust at me
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-14-22, 08:33 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Yah, I am not too keen on spooking a horse either. Have you seen the teeth on those things?
It's the hooves, speed, and sheer mass you should worry more about! I imagine a spooked horse jumping into you probably feels much like being doored... by half a car.

lololol. This is quality content right here. Have you ever read of a horse rider who is distracted by his phone swerving back and forth across the path?
Maybe if he was riding while drunk?
Old 02-14-22, 08:36 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Each of the few times I've been on a horse, I had to face the reality that the horse knew what it was doing, and I... did not.

It's not quite riding in the back seat of the self-driving car, but closer to that than most other modes.

I remember once riding the East River Greenway and ringing my bell which prompted a little dog who clearly knew a few things about sharing a path to smartly move in behind his oblivious human.
Old 02-15-22, 01:22 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I'm not too fond of paths. Motor vehicle drivers tend to act more predictably, even if they aren't following the laws to a T.

Last edited by urbanknight; 02-15-22 at 01:37 AM.
Likes For urbanknight:
Old 02-15-22, 03:30 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I quit multi use paths a few years ago, before the whole COVID thing hit. In concept , the MUP is a great idea. In reality it is far more frustrating than it is worth. Here, in my area , even the bike lanes are not used correctly , but at least there is room to go around . I gave up trying to expect folks to do the right thing , I just go around .
Old 02-15-22, 04:46 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Riding an MUP path is a lot like going to the drive thru with a big order during rush hour. If you think you're EVER gonna get what you want, you're just frustrating yourself for no good reason.
Old 02-15-22, 05:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
There’s an A&S forum precisely for threads like this. But you already know that.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-15-22, 06:26 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by indyfabz
There’s an A&S forum precisely for threads like this. But you already know that.
I didn't intend for this one to be taken seriously. A lighter hearted look at paths.
Old 02-15-22, 06:33 AM
hevysrf

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
In my experience, the MUP signage directs bicycles to yield to all other users. I'm so slow that it's not usually a problem.
Old 02-15-22, 06:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Riding an MUP path is a lot like going to the drive thru with a big order during rush hour. If you think you're EVER gonna get what you want, you're just frustrating yourself for no good reason.

You're just riding on the wrong MUPs. Some of them are fantastic.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-15-22, 06:49 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You're just riding on the wrong MUPs. Some of them are fantastic.
Yeah, people move and stay here for our trails. People visit from all over the world to use the larger route across the state.

I gave up dedicated road riding thirty years ago because our trails are more enjoyable and a safer place to ride. I ride thousands of miles each year on our trails and by far the biggest nuisance is ice left after a big snow.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 02-15-22, 07:00 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Yeah, people move and stay here for our trails. People visit from all over the world to use the larger route across the state.

I gave up dedicated road riding thirty years ago because our trails are more enjoyable and a safer place to ride. I ride thousands of miles each year on our trails and by far the biggest nuisance is ice left after a big snow.
We must be riding on the same trails. No complaints here.
Old 02-15-22, 07:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by ofajen

Otto
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
We must be riding on the same trails. No complaints here.
Some MUPs are great places to ride, some are crap. Just like roads.

I find in these discussions people just assume that all MUPs are alike. There's MUPs where I can ride fast for miles without encountering anyone else. There's other ones I won't ride on because they're really pedestrian paths with bikes "allowed".
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-15-22, 07:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I find in these discussions people just assume that all MUPs are alike. There's MUPs where I can ride fast for miles without encountering anyone else. There's other ones I won't ride on because they're really pedestrian paths with bikes "allowed".
Yeah. Riding conditions can even vary greatly based on the day of the week and time of day.
Old 02-15-22, 07:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yeah. Riding conditions can even vary greatly based on the day of the week and time of day.
And section of path. For example, the Minuteman in the Boston area is completely different in terms of on-path traffic at one end than the other.
Old 02-15-22, 08:26 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Today was a first. There are several horse stables adjacent to the MS River levee path in the NOLA area. I encounter horses from time to time. The riders are normally good about keeping to one side and monitoring their surroundings. As I came up behind one today, it was moving erratically back and forth across the path. While well behind the horse, and at a volume that I hoped wouldn't startle the horse or rider, I announced my presence. No response. I announced again. No response. When they horse drifted off to the right side, I accelerated past. I looked at the rider as I did. The rider was texting and riding.
Are you sure that wasn't a scene out of Blazing Saddles?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.