Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bullhorns?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bullhorns?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-22, 02:00 AM
maglia_grigia

Bikes: Bianchi C2C Via Nirone 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Bullhorns?

Just looking to get a range of views. I have a road bike, which I love. I'm not built for speed and don't race - use this mainly for exercise, sub 60 min rides, but hopefully with the odd longer ride when time & weather allows.

I basically never ride in the drops. Given I never use the drops.... this got me thinking if I could make the switch to bullhorns. Being honest, this is primarily cause I think they look good and I can't see that I would be sacrificing much as I won't miss the lack of drops.

I do worry the fact you see so few Bullhorn set ups.. is this due to it being difficult / expensive to set up with brakes and shifters? Or is it less comfortable / practical?

Anyone got any decent cost effective set ups that look ok?
Old 02-21-22, 08:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
You probably dont see many setups because there is little to no demand for them. If you dont use the drops, just dont use them. There, you are good to ride now.

You can always hacksaw off your drops if you really think the look is good. Ronan Mclaughlin did that for his Everesting record...though he is a on another level of performance than most of us.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-21-22, 11:17 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
People will think you drink PBR!
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 02-21-22, 11:21 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Bullhorns don't really work with standard road shifters and brake levers. This is why you mainly see them on single speed/fixies and not on geared road bikes.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 02-21-22, 11:25 AM
maglia_grigia

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Bullhorns don't really work with standard road shifters and brake levers. This is why you mainly see them on single speed/fixies and not on geared road bikes.
Yeah, I have realised that the more research I've done. Would have to cobble something together that probably wouldn't be very ergonomic. .

Might keep my road bike set up and use this as motivation to get a retro frame and do a single speed project.
Old 02-22-22, 10:25 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I just did a drop chop & flip flop just last week for my single speed - I wish the turn forward was a little longer before it started turning upward, but, it is what it is with using an existing drop bar. I've only had a few rides, but so far they feel pretty alright.
As said, they don't take standard shifters or brake levers like a road bike, so you'll need to get some triggers or thumb shifters if needed, and some cross brakes. Or i suppose you could put some bar end shifters in, like aero bars on a TT bike.

Likes For the sci guy:
Old 02-22-22, 03:27 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I have a track bike with bullhorn bar. I don’t race on a track, just do laps at the park and sometimes ride it on the road. It works because there is just one brake and no shifters. A drop bar would be a disadvantage here. But the bullhorn gives a hand position that very closely resembles the brake hoods on a road drop bar, which is my favorite place to grip. I really like this setup.

On my road bikes, I use drop bars. Even though I seldom hold onto the drops, they work best by giving an easy place to attach the levers. In other words my choice of handlers is dictated by what I need to attach to them. With both types, I have a place that’s comfortable for me to grip.

Last edited by Broctoon; 02-22-22 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-22-22, 04:15 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
mstateglfr: Hey!!!... Why didn't I think of this.... Great!

Long ago, since I could no longer get into the Drops because of back problems, I went to Bull Horns. No problem as I use Friction Shifters on the Down Tube or Stem. I also use Tecktro Bar End brake levers and have had no problems.

Last edited by zandoval; 02-22-22 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-22-22, 09:52 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
↑↑↑ This is me, now in my 70s with back issues I don't need drops. I have dozens of old bars so I use bar end shfters at the end of a cut like the sci guy shows, just a little bit higher maybe, and use Guidonnet levers. I do extra pad the up curve left on the bar with the padding appreciated. Love it so and I can not do this to my Italians so they are not being ridden. I will post photo tomorrow.
Old 02-22-22, 10:15 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Some years ago when I first built up that Raleigh I bought a set of bullhorns from Origin8 but they were pretty long in the “horn.” I didn’t think much about it then but I’m much more in tune with my fit and feel these days and I sometimes wonder how I ever was able to ride comfortably. Hilariously, I think what is like best is something between the short stubbiness of my chop & flop job, and the Origin8 horns. Not sure if they still make them or not.
I do miss those Cane Creek bar end levers though. They were awesome. Lost them in Harvey flood waters and never got another set.
Pic below

Old 02-23-22, 12:37 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 896 Times in 440 Posts
I made up a set I liked using new Chinese Toseek carbon bars (~$60 on ebay) plus Sram Aero 500 levers ($61 on Amazon now) and Sram Apex calipers ($58 on Amazon now), plus Jagwire cables. I included the cables and calipers so I could swap the whole setup as a unit.

quick-change handlebar setups

I used a Redshift ShockStop stem, but the bars are pretty absorbing by themselves. I liked it pretty well, and it may get its turn again.

Circus bike, for a bear!

I had it way higher than I needed, but liked it a lot that way, as it made the steep head angle steering less twitchy, and was quite comfy.
Old 02-23-22, 02:27 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
...was quite comfy.
I laugh at how my ridding set up has changed over the years.

I can still remember slamming my stem, putting my nose on the front wheel, getting into that large gear up front and that little itty bitty gear in the back and CHARGE!!! OH... and who needs a seat anyway.

Being more beat up than I look and at 68 geezer-dom has opened new thresholds in my bicycle setups.
Old 02-23-22, 02:34 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I'd never do this with brifters.

Weird ideas I have for this:

1. 1x setup using a bar end shifter (tt shifter) in the end of one side and a front-only brake on the other side.

2. You could go really weird and go 2x with di2 using the DA TT brakes that have two buttons on each brake. Basically a TT bike basebar Di2 setup without extensions.

Otherwise, single speed with TT bike brakes or fixed with TT bike brakes would be cleanest if set on this.

If set on brifters, keep the drop bar on it and just don't use the drops. Or add enough stack in through spacers and the stem so that the drops are usable and the bar tops/hoods are higher.
Old 02-24-22, 08:31 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
I liked bullhorns during my FGSS days. I recently toyed with the idea of setting up a frame with bullhorns, cross levers, and TT shifters, but never went through with it and stuck with regular drops with brifters. I've seen brifter/bullhorn setups in person and on the net, and maybe it works fine but all I can do is chuckle at the idea.
Old 02-25-22, 12:57 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You probably dont see many setups because there is little to no demand for them. If you dont use the drops, just dont use them. There, you are good to ride now.

You can always hacksaw off your drops if you really think the look is good. Ronan Mclaughlin did that for his Everesting record...though he is a on another level of performance than most of us.
You gotta admit, that's the most cost effective way to accomplish the OP's goal.
Old 02-25-22, 10:22 AM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
I used to ride home bullhorns when I was 15. I have not used any bullhorns since. I did get another set of homemade ones for free off of a fixed gear conversion that I rescued from the scrapyard but I gave those bars to my friend. She really liked their aesthetic.

Here is the one that I rescued. I did strip it completely and donate the frame.

The bike I had when I was 15. Definitely was too small for me.

Original condition when found.

lol

Last edited by grant40; 02-25-22 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-26-22, 06:27 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I wouldn't mess with them. You know the old saying. If you're wanting a radical look, why not use/flip a set of cruiser bars for the Longhorn style? Or just roll/turn the bars up into the DUI/Hobo Fixie look?
Old 05-01-22, 10:10 AM
Mr Sir

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
95% of the time the drops are dead weight and drag for most riders.

Last edited by Mr Sir; 05-09-22 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-02-22, 07:36 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Chopped drop bars would likely be closest when considering road bike brake/shift levers, but a flat bar conversion with bar ends wouldn’t be too hard, either - though definitely less grip space there compared to a true bullhorn setup. Another though could be to consider gravel bars. Wide flares and very shallow drops could be interesting too.
Old 05-03-22, 04:36 AM
maglia_grigia

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Glad to say I installed bull horns on a single speed project I have been putting together.
Just about there - waiting on a few parts and can hopefully get the cranks and drivetrain on in the next day or two.
Got a coaster brake rear wheel so no levers or shifters required . Will test this out and hopefully not bother with a front brake (yes i'm aware this is illegal, but if it's ok for the whole of the Netherlands, I will take the risk).

Will post a picture when I get it all assembled .
Likes For maglia_grigia:
Old 05-03-22, 03:50 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I rode them for years back in the late '80's-early '90's on a steel bike that used friction shifters. I liked them a lot.
Old 05-07-22, 05:59 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by maglia_grigia
Glad to say I installed bull horns on a single speed project I have been putting together.
Just about there - waiting on a few parts and can hopefully get the cranks and drivetrain on in the next day or two.
Got a coaster brake rear wheel so no levers or shifters required . Will test this out and hopefully not bother with a front brake (yes i'm aware this is illegal, but if it's ok for the whole of the Netherlands, I will take the risk).

Will post a picture when I get it all assembled .
Not having a front brake is illegal in Scotland?