Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

what’s that thing on my rear axle?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

what’s that thing on my rear axle?

Old 02-28-22, 12:56 PM
Overdraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Since I bought a 7000$ bike at a nearby LBS that hadn't been torqued properly by a so-called head mechanic (cassette, handlebars, stem & seat post), nothing surprises me anymore.

I am just wondering why the OP didn't try to play with it before starting this thread... Mine is magnetized and it pulls off pretty easily. #AEROGAINZ
OP here! I tried spinning it and extracting it without effect but since it's a plastic part I thought I'd ask before I 'used a bigger hammer'. After inquiry it turns out mine is a push/pull interference fit not a magnet like yours. And anyway, isn't this kind of the point of a forum? Or should we only chime in AFTER we've broken the thing we don't fully understand?
100% on the bike shop observation... my only experience so far is pro car mechanics who can be pretty incompetent so I can easily imagine it extending to other shops...
Likes For Overdraft:
Old 02-28-22, 08:20 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
My Domane has the same set up ...I was an out of towner too but must be more charming because I gotta disk brake spacer. Took me a minute to figure out why I only had one as well!!
Old 03-01-22, 03:35 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10067 Post(s)
Liked 5,051 Times in 2,155 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
The dumb ass Trek dealer didn't show you how that works when you bought the bike? The lever is removeable and used for either wheel. Or a 6mm hex key.

I have a madone as well and did not know this……….. So OP don’t feel bad.
Old 03-01-22, 04:00 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 703 Posts
Nice bike!
Old 03-01-22, 05:28 AM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 84 Posts
I know we probably live half a world or so apart but given the experience I had with bikes purchased from Trek dealers here, these are my recommendations:

1. Get a professional bike fit within your grace period to ensure you have the correct size frame based on your leg/upper body length and not just your height on a chart. I needed a smaller frame size despite consulting two sales people about it.
2. Get a torque wrench and check all bolts, I had a loose rear axle (!) on one, to the point where it would initially visibly snap together when I torqued it up, loosely installed pedals on another. Check every bolt and tighten to specs.
3. Download the front and rear derailleur manuals and check/set it up based on the manual.

To point 2, the thing you started the thread about - I only use it in my spare kit to undo a wheel on the road. Use the torque wrench to do your wheels up to the specified 10NM (I do 9.5) and just make sure that you are fine undoing those with the lever on the road. If not, adjust it as high as you can undo with a bit of effort.
Old 03-01-22, 06:13 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Overdraft
OP here! I tried spinning it and extracting it without effect but since it's a plastic part I thought I'd ask before I 'used a bigger hammer'. After inquiry it turns out mine is a push/pull interference fit not a magnet like yours. And anyway, isn't this kind of the point of a forum? Or should we only chime in AFTER we've broken the thing we don't fully understand?
100% on the bike shop observation... my only experience so far is pro car mechanics who can be pretty incompetent so I can easily imagine it extending to other shops...
You're totally right. Better be safe than sorry Glad to read that you sorted this out.
Likes For eduskator: