Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic Disc Brakes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hydraulic Disc Brakes

Old 04-17-22, 08:16 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,936 Times in 1,900 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
A) you're moving goalposts. We were talking about the scenario of pads being squeezed so tightly that nothing short of a bleed job could rectify the situation, which is just implausible
B) pistons aren't going to be overly extended unless the pads are removed

I think it's fair to assume that there's no compelling reason to continue here, so I'll bow out.
No permits were pulled to move the goal posts.

You do you.
Old 04-18-22, 12:09 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
My hydro discs came with the inserts mentioned, but also like mentioned, they are nothing but thin pieces of plastic, about as thick as cereal box cardboard folded in half or three times. If you want something less home-made, i've also used "toilet shims" which work perfectly and are cheap and available at any hardware store, home depot, etc.

That said, I've transported my bikes with the front wheels off, several times without remembering to put in the inserts and have never "accidentally" bumped the brake levers. So I think it's a very unlikely scenario.

Ace Toilet Shims White Plastic - Ace Hardware

Last edited by Camilo; 04-18-22 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-18-22, 12:35 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
There’s a considerable gap between ”what CAN happen” and ”what will USUALLY happen”.
I’ve never experienced, read or heard about accidentally bumping a lever being a problem. I’ve seen a guy distractedly pulling the wrong lever on a bike while installing the wheels and ejecting one piston. But I’ve also seen some calipers happily surviving brake actuation w/o rotor and w/o ejecting a piston - if pads are new and both pistons equally eager to move.
Wouldn’t dare to try it on my Formulas, as one piston is definitely getting a bit lazy.
So I guess repeated accidental bumping of the lever might eventually eject one piston and cause a troublesome issue. A possible but not likely scenario. Jamming just about anything between the pads will stop it from happening.
Old 04-18-22, 07:16 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
I don't know whether this is correct, but when I bought my bike, it came with those orange inserts and the shop told me to put them in when I take off the wheels, so I do. It's easy to do and I've never had any problems. So if you're removing your wheels, just put the tabs in.
Thank you for a simple and intelligent answer to the problem. This thread could have been resolved with a few posts.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 04-18-22, 09:31 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 774 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
Thank you for a simple and intelligent answer to the problem. This thread could have been resolved with a few posts.
New around these parts, are ya?
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-18-22, 09:41 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
True story:
This weekend while stuffing my hydro equipped bike into my vehicle, my helpful neighbor grabbed a handful of front brake with the wheel removed. When I got home, I grabbed a plastic putty knife and jammed it in between the pads and twisted it slightly, separating the pads. I slipped the wheel on, tightened the thru axle, grabbed the front brake lever to reset the pads and lived to write about it here. Amazing.
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 04-18-22, 10:08 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6929 Post(s)
Liked 10,931 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
True story:
This weekend while stuffing my hydro equipped bike into my vehicle, my helpful neighbor grabbed a handful of front brake with the wheel removed. When I got home, I grabbed a plastic putty knife and jammed it in between the pads and twisted it slightly, separating the pads. I slipped the wheel on, tightened the thru axle, grabbed the front brake lever to reset the pads and lived to write about it here. Amazing.
Exactamundo!

I have never ever heard of anyone having to bleed their brake system in order to rectify this problem.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-18-22, 10:19 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,262 Times in 2,937 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
True story:
You’re Batman.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-18-22, 11:19 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Originally Posted by Bald Paul

It must be the amnesia!
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 04-19-22, 09:25 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
There are little blocks that you can shove between the pads.

You do NOT need to do a bleed if you squeeze the lever and push the pads together. You just pry them all the way open (flathead screwdriver or butterknife works) and reset after reinstalling the wheel by operating the lever until the pads make contact again.

if you have brakes that are super sensitive to perfect alignment (Shimanos and SRAM are not like this) then you may have a little pad rub, but nothing too bad that you can’t ride them until you have a chance to tweak them.
Old 04-19-22, 09:44 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
No you don't have to bleed them, but it's only a problem if you press the brake lever with the wheel off. Even if you accidentally do it, a brake spreader or flat end screwdriver will get them apart.

This isn't rocket science. I carry one of these with me just in case.

https://www.projectbikebend.com/prod...l-332546-1.htm
Old 04-19-22, 02:19 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
You win the internets for today ...... best post by far.
Old 04-19-22, 03:04 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Having worked on hundreds of hydro bicycle brakes, installing them or fixing them, I recommend using the specific brake block that is designed to fit in the calipers with the brake pads installed. Usually they lock in so that they do not accidentally fall out.
Old 04-20-22, 12:26 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
BF never ceases to amaze me. How something so simple becomes complicated.
Likes For prj71:
Old 04-20-22, 03:24 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
BF never ceases to amaze me. How something so simple becomes complicated.
https://dai.ly/x2hwqn9
Old 04-21-22, 08:24 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Don't squeeze the brake levers.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 04-25-22, 03:24 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 88 Posts
So assuming the pistons don't pop out and oil contaminates your pads and rotors than you should be able to just push back the pistons in with a lever. You would only need to bleed the brakes if the pistons pop out or the oil gets contaminated

I would just put a spacer pad in your car or in your saddle bag so this doesn't happen. Heck even some cardboard would do the trick

Not a huge deal but this is why I do prefer mechanical discs for a "travel bike" since you never have to worry about this or getting air trapped.
Old 04-25-22, 03:37 PM
vespasianus

Originally Posted by drlogik
Don't squeeze the brake levers.

Maybe the OP is this guy:
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 04-26-22, 10:09 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Someone's trying to scare you.

As mentioned by others, Shimano has orange spacers that you can stick between the pads. Shimano also has yellow lever lock thingies that slide in under the levers and keeps both the brakes and the shifters from being actuated. I take long road trips regularly and I use both, though I could probably get away with just the lever block thingies.

I took a screen shot of a video with the lever block - they came with my levers when I built up my bike and I would expect that the shop that you buy from would have a box of 'em laying around if you ask.

So that is what those things are for. My Canyon was shipped with pad spacers in place and those things were in a separate bag. Thanks for showing me
Likes For alcjphil: