Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

LBS Damaged Our Bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

LBS Damaged Our Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-22, 10:04 AM
Equinox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
LBS Damaged Our Bike

I brought our tandem in to a different LBS for a tune -up. My usual shop is very small and cramped and it's a hassle physically bringing it there. It's a one man shop. He's very good, very busy and very overcrowded. The place I brought it to has a good reputation and it is more "up-to-date". The owner was thrilled to get our tandem. "This is one of the coolest bikes I've ever seen". He remarked about how well cared for it was. We set up for a thorough going over, and we were all set.

Yesterday, I got a call. He said his technician clamped the top tube and bent it. Ugh. I know next to nothing about bikes, but the one thing I do know is, you don't clamp the top tube. I have not seen the bike yet, and I don't know what "bent" means. The shop owner told me that he has been in contact with CoMotion, and the repair time is 10 weeks. He also said that both he and CoMotion have declared the bike safe for use.

Since 10 weeks is virtually our entire riding season, the plan is for us to use it until the weather gets bad, and then send it to CoMotion for repair.

Part of me wonders if shops are insured for this kind of thing. I'm not really keen on riding my tandem with a damaged top tube, and I don't know what to expect after the repair. Does it have to be re-welded? Should we total it and work out a settlement?

Not sure what to do just yet. He's finishing to tune up, and I should see it in a few days.
Likes For Equinox:
Old 04-23-22, 10:41 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2237 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 1,793 Posts
It sounds like the shop owned up to their mistake and wants to make it right. That is really good (and increasingly unusual.)

I'm not sure where else you would clamp a tandem. I have never worked on one, but putting it on a stand presents some unusual problems.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-23-22, 10:59 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by Equinox
I know next to nothing about bikes, but the one thing I do know is, you don't clamp the top tube.
i thought I knew things, but you're not supposed to clamp the top tube?
Old 04-23-22, 10:59 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
I think Co-Motion could easily swap a tube and repaint. The bike shop having insurance for this is very possible I guess. How old is the bike?
Edit: Good on the shop for owning this.

Last edited by FBOATSB; 04-23-22 at 11:07 AM.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 04-23-22, 11:05 AM
FBOATSB

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
You have to know the bike your dealing with. Some are treated like egg shells.
Old 04-23-22, 12:54 PM
Equinox

I normally clamp the seat post when I work on it.
Likes For Equinox:
Old 04-23-22, 12:59 PM
Equinox

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
I think Co-Motion could easily swap a tube and repaint. The bike shop having insurance for this is very possible I guess. How old is the bike?
Edit: Good on the shop for owning this.
That makes me feel better. My bike is about six years old. I can't imagine it being an option for a shop that damaged customers bike to NOT take responsibility. "We damaged your bike. Sucks to be you." Is that a possibility?
Old 04-23-22, 01:39 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
I normally clamp the seat post when I work on it.
And that's where you're supposed to clamp it to avoid this happening. Maybe they were training a new wrench?
Old 04-23-22, 01:39 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
That makes me feel better. My bike is about six years old. I can't imagine it being an option for a shop that damaged customers bike to NOT take responsibility. "We damaged your bike. Sucks to be you." Is that a possibility?
More likely to get, "what do you mean? that's how it was when you dropped it off."
Likes For himespau:
Old 04-23-22, 02:04 PM
FBOATSB

Take this with a grain of salt, but I've read lots of threads in here over the years to the tune of "Your beat up six year old bike is too old to fix, not worth it", or "Obviously damaged before you brought it in", or "Sorry, your service ticket you signed doesn't cover accidents but we can give you a credit if you buy a new bike here", or "We can only give XX$$ for this unfortunate accident, but we'll have to keep the 6 year old bike". I'd think an offer of shipping a tandem frame to the manufacturer for repair of a dent would be wonderful. Now whether they are going to strip the tandem and just ship the frame or ship the whole thing to Co-Motion is something that needs to be worked out to your satisfaction, but it can be worked out.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 04-23-22, 02:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Dent? Sounds like the tube is bent.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-23-22, 02:54 PM
Equinox

Take this with a grain of salt, but I've read lots of threads in here over the years to the tune of "Your beat up six year old bike is too old to fix, not worth it", or "Obviously damaged before you brought it in", or "Sorry, your service ticket you signed doesn't cover accidents but we can give you a credit if you buy a new bike here", or "We can only give XX$$ for this unfortunate accident, but we'll have to keep the 6 year old bike". I'd think an offer of shipping a tandem frame to the manufacturer for repair of a dent would be wonderful. Now whether they are going to strip the tandem and just ship the frame or ship the whole thing to Co-Motion is something that needs to be worked out to your satisfaction, but it can be worked out.
The guy was marveling over our bike when we brought it in, and it is in "like-new" condition. We spent a half our talking. He showed me pictures of a roached tandem he restored. He did a cursory once-over. There was no way he could have passed off the damage, but you do bring up the importance of pre-op pix. He was VERY apologetic on the phone. Almost too much so. He said he would assume full responsibility. Tear down, shipping repair. He said he wasn't going to charge me for the tune-up even. I am also a small business owner, and we live in a small community where word of bad service would easily get around. I will absolutely insist on paying for any service unrelated to the damage. I DO feel it is his responsibility to make the damage right, though, not matter what it takes. I would be open to contributing to some extent, but only as a gesture of mutual good will.
Likes For Equinox:
Old 04-23-22, 03:08 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Bike obviously should have been clamped by the seat post. Good on the shop owner for taking responsibility. If both he and the builder say it's fine to ride, then ride it. Get it fixed when you're done riding for the summer. Not really sure why all of this needed to be posted, I guess there might be some question as to the process but it's been explained pretty clearly.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-23-22, 03:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Not really sure why all of this needed to be posted.
Agree, but it sure beats another Larry S thread.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-23-22, 04:54 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Tandems are a Pia to work on for sure. Takes two people to put on in a work stand, and the front wheel must be supported while in the stand, or have the front wheel on the ground. Not fun to work on when dialing in the drive train, and typically we had two people, one working the shifters the other spinning the pedals and making adjustments to the shift mechs.
Unfortunately the shop clamped the TT, but all is not lost and it can be repaired. Good to know that there are no perfect people in this world.
Old 04-23-22, 07:00 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Make sure you get them to give you something in writing that they will fix it over the winter.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 04-23-22, 07:14 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 6,467 Times in 3,199 Posts
Yet another reason to do all your own work.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-23-22, 07:39 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
I brought our tandem in to a different LBS for a tune -up. The place I brought it to has a good reputation and it is more "up-to-date".

Y.
Took, not brought.
Old 04-23-22, 08:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Yeah unfortunately a lot of mechanics do sometimes think it is OK to clamp anywhere but the seatpost and the ones who at least know they really shouldn't will always say "well it is fine just for this" or something of that nature. It was a poor decision on that mechanics part but I do know on bikes they don't work on often that are like that it can be hard to know really a good place to clamp that won't cause imbalance and while they should never have done it is good they are owning up to it and actually reached out to everyone to get it fixed and make sure it is good to ride. I would say if they didn't own up to it and try to make it right there would be a solid complaint but they were human and they made a mistake, realized the mistake and sounds like they are doing right by you. Sure they shouldn't have done it in the first place but we have all done things we shouldn't have done it is part of life. It is not to say it is right or wrong it just is what it is. If they keep doing it then there is a problem.

Mechanics can sometimes get cocky I know a lot of them that just say "I got this" and they really don't or they try and rush for a customer maybe they both speak the same language that isn't English in a typically English speaking shop or they have some sort of interest in the person or bike and just ram through it and make mistakes. Every good mechanic should take their time and do it correctly and if they don't know how to do something they should always ask questions no matter what the question. One cannot know everything (except maybe Sheldon Brown but I am sure even he had to ask a question once and a while) and those who understand that can be really great mechanics or just great at life in general. You have to be thirsty for knowledge and be willing to learn new things and old things and know when to do something and when to stop and say let me ask a co-worker or call another shop or call the manufacturer.

Co-Motion makes great stuff I have a single Cascadia from them and it is fantastic but I would one day love a tandem and someone who would willingly ride on the bike with me...LOL
I would trust them if they say the bike is safe to ride but I would certainly make sure to get it in the shop when you can and maybe see if you can schedule something so you can leave it for less time. It would be an excellent chance to get the whole thing overhauled anyway and fully refreshed. Good luck with everything!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-23-22, 08:31 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Tandems are a Pia to work on for sure. Takes two people to put on in a work stand, and the front wheel must be supported while in the stand, or have the front wheel on the ground. Not fun to work on when dialing in the drive train, and typically we had two people, one working the shifters the other spinning the pedals and making adjustments to the shift mechs.
Unfortunately the shop clamped the TT, but all is not lost and it can be repaired. Good to know that there are no perfect people in this world.
For drivetrain work, and not just for tandems, wouldn't any wheel-on trainer be about perfect -- clamping in to a steel axle/QR? One of my past gripes is that shifting adjustments are oft made with zero resistance when a bike is clamped up in the air. Having a drum roller against a wheel and seeing if the shifting is still just as good at 100-200 watts I think is helpful. Likewise, any or all of those complaints about clicking noises that only happen when pushing harder -- more easily addressed if LBS's had a trainer setup to work on?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 04-23-22, 09:48 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 370 Posts
You have to know the bike your dealing with. Some are treated like egg shells.
Is it a Carbon Fiber thing or do people clamp the frame like it holds the Earth on its axis?

I can't imagine the force needed to dent my frames.
Old 04-23-22, 10:17 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Some bikes will have warning stickers telling not to do various things on the top tube.

If it tells you not to sit on the top tube, it's probably safe bet not to clamp it either.
Old 04-23-22, 10:59 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
When Co-Motion fixes your bike, you will never be able to tell it was damaged.

My wife's Co-Motion touring bike was damaged shipping it home from a tour. We were supposed to start on another tour in about a week, and I didn't notice the damage until I servicing the bike. I called them and asked if they could fix it in time for the upcoming tour. Co-Motion's shop is about 40 miles from us, and I have good relationship with them.

They told me to bring it in the next day. They did the repair which required some brazing, but did not have time to repaint the rear triangle. They put a coat of primer on the repair and repainted it when we got back a couple of months later. They are a great bunch of folks!

That 12 year old touring bike had 26,939 miles on it after today's ride
Likes For Doug64:
Old 04-24-22, 06:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
karma, huh?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-24-22, 11:02 AM
Equinox

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
karma, huh?
How so?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.