Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How rare are chrome lugs?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How rare are chrome lugs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-22, 07:05 PM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts
Oh me likey chrome lugs. It is kind of a defining theme for my collection. Pic dump incoming.

70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Likes For BlueDevil63:
Old 04-29-22, 07:15 PM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

More.

70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Likes For BlueDevil63:
Old 04-29-22, 07:26 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,373 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by bamboobike4
My guess, after several NAHBS shows, is that a customer pretty much has to want the lugged frames, and then spec the chrome lugs.
I was looking through my photos from the 2015 NAHBS, 'cause I think I've seen carbon lugs somewhere, when I came across this Cherubim frame. I think it's a "production" Cherubim frame, but it's got a chromed seat lug too. Very cool! I'm afraid to ask what it costs, though.

...back to looking for carbon lugs...

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 04-29-22, 08:08 PM
steelbikeguy

The day may not be far off when a carbon frame comes out with faux lugs in some synthetic shiny scheme. It would be neat.
hasn't Colnago done carbon lugs?
a quick search pulls up the Colnago C40...
https://cycling-obsession.com/colnag...ltimate-guide/

Clever Design of the C40: Carbon Lugs.

Whilst the C35 was built as a monocoque frame design (just like modern carbon road bikes), the C40 was built using carbon lugs, which saved weight and could be bonded to the carbon fibre tubes to create a single homogenous structure. Colnago was able to achieve this by taking advantage of Ferrari’s technology derived from exploring new ways to work with composites and join structural members as part of the development of the Ferrari F40 super car.

This carbon lug frame building technique has been used for every ‘C’ series bike since the C40 ie. C50, C59, C60 and the current C64 model. By manufacturing the lugs in 19 different angles, Colnago was able to manufacture frames in many different sizes or with custom geometry – just like they were doing for so many years with their steel road bikes. The image below highlights the variety of lug angles.
but I did find pics of some Calfee's at NAHBS with "lugs". I suspect they are wrapped around the tubes after joining, rather than created first, but they definitely mimic the look of lugs.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 04-29-22, 10:15 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
^^ And suddenly I have zero problem with the lugs that bothered me before.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 04-29-22, 10:49 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
Must have been a really big box.

Two articles said there was enough for 50 bikes. But, they were on the internet. I do know they are only available by ordering from Colnago, with a very active resell market.

I’ll never ride one, but my 2003 Master Extra Light thrills me, still. My 1985, not so much.
Old 04-29-22, 10:51 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy

but I did find pics of some Calfee's at NAHBS with "lugs". I suspect they are wrapped around the tubes after joining, rather than created first, but they definitely mimic the look of lugs.

Steve in Peoria

Definitely, Carbon lugs are out there, and on Colnagos, but they haven’t done them up in “chrome,” yet.
There are serious Colnago fans in Asia; it’s just a matter of time. Those guys are over the top. And great.

Old 04-30-22, 02:09 AM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts

Have a look at the Ottante5. It was part of the build inspiration for my Arabesque. Actual lugs vs. painted.

Old 04-30-22, 02:18 AM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Two articles said there was enough for 50 bikes. But, they were on the internet. I do know they are only available by ordering from Colnago, with a very active resell market.
I think it started that way, but someone had $$ in the eyes and continued production based on the current Master. The most obvious bits are the seat lug and RD cable routing at the dropout. The reintroduction photos from 2015 are clearly not the same as what they offer now. My 2017 is identical to the Master except for the flourish on the lugs.
Old 04-30-22, 02:44 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Here’s a few recent photos from the Velo-Retro ride thread of chrome lugged frames, the Italvega (produced by Torpado) is mine.

Old 04-30-22, 06:00 AM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts

I am a sometime fan…..
Likes For El Chaba:
Old 04-30-22, 07:28 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts

Steve in Peoria

Some things just weren't meant to be I'm afraid. Beauty might be in the eye of the beholder, but come on?

Old 04-30-22, 08:58 AM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

A couple more:

Likes For BlueDevil63:
Old 04-30-22, 10:38 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 2,799 Times in 532 Posts
I've got a few, the only Merckx I have with chrome lugs only has chrome lugs on the head tube.

In fact now I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen a Merckx that also had chromed lugs at the seat post cluster and bottom bracket lugs, was this not an option?

The Italians in the 80's and 90's seemed to use chromed lugs. I've got a Bottecchia and Tommasini with chrome head tube lugs.

While we couldn't really describe chrome lugs as common, it appears by far the most common option was to just have chromed lugs on the head tube. It appears to be rarer to also have chromed lugs at the top of the seat tube where the seat post goes in. My Tommasini does not have a chromed seat post lug, but my Bottecchia does.

But neither has chrome bottom bracket lugs.

My Columbus Max Nikor also has chrome lugs on the head tube, and an extra chunky seat post one for the fat tubes.

And it seems rarer still to have chromed bottom bracket lugs, alas I don't have any of those. I can't always tell from the pics, that Cherubim for example might have, but there's not an angle I can see for sure, and not even the Columbine's I've seen or that extravagant Waterford upthread had chrome bottom bracket lugs. In fact from a quick scan through this whole thread, the only bike I can see that had chrome lugs on head tube, seat tube and bottom bracket, was that Hetchins, so the full set of chromed lugs seems very rare indeed.

I admit this seems a bit strange to me, surely if you're going to the trouble of having chrome lugs on the head tube, its not going to be that much more cost/weight/inconvenience to get the other ones done too? I did wonder maybe if chromed bottom bracket lugs were rarer as that area of the bike gets exposed to the most crud, and unless you live in California or Arizona they could end up looking tatty and tarnished much quicker than chromed head tube ones. Any other thoughts or reasons why the chromed bottom bracket lugs are so rare?

Personally I love chrome, on lugs and stays, it just adds a bit of extra dazzle on the rare days the sun decides to shine here in the UK

Last edited by botty kayer; 04-30-22 at 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling and I missed a pic
Old 04-30-22, 10:44 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
I was looking through my photos from the 2015 NAHBS, 'cause I think I've seen carbon lugs somewhere, when I came across this Cherubim frame. I think it's a "production" Cherubim frame, but it's got a chromed seat lug too. Very cool! I'm afraid to ask what it costs, though.

...back to looking for carbon lugs...

Steve in Peoria
That's the thing with chrome, especially now days, especially lugs, if you have to ask....
Old 04-30-22, 10:47 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Some things just weren't meant to be I'm afraid. Beauty might be in the eye of the beholder, but come on?
I can appreciate the conviction of his vision but not my vision of his conviction.
Old 04-30-22, 10:55 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by botty kayer
While we couldn't really describe chrome lugs as common, it appears by far the most common option was to just have chromed lugs on the head tube. It appears to be rarer to also have chromed lugs at the top of the seat tube where the seat post goes in.
And Cinelli’s only had half the seat lug chromed!
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-30-22, 11:55 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by smd4
And Cinelli’s only had half the seat lug chromed!
what was the reason for that??
Too much trouble to properly polish around the seat stays? Getting into the little spaces between the stays would be tough with a polisher. This same issue can be seen at the bottom bracket of fully chromed frames.

Just to illustrate the issue, here are a few shots of vintage Cinelli's displayed at two Classic Rendezvous events...

a 1949 Cinelli Pista:

a 1963 Cinelli SC with chromed seat stays.... Interesting that the seat stays are chromed, but the back half of the seat lug is still painted, despite there being no question that there is chrome under the paint. Is it that the chrome wasn't easy to polish, or did the half-chromed lug become a signature feature of Cinelli?

a 1960 Pinarello SC built by Cinelli (I have no idea what the history of this bike is, but I do find it interesting that Cinelli was building frames for Pinarello):

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 04-30-22, 12:23 PM
steelbikeguy

And it seems rarer still to have chromed bottom bracket lugs, alas I don't have any of those. I can't always tell from the pics, that Cherubim for example might have, but there's not an angle I can see for sure, and not even the Columbine's I've seen or that extravagant Waterford upthread had chrome bottom bracket lugs.
The Waterford was relatively modern, and all of the shiny bits are stainless steel. Less nasty for the environment, no chance of developing rust, and still a lot of work to polish!

I looked over my other Cherubim photos, and I don't think any had a chromed bottom bracket. Here are a couple of shots of a track frame that was on display. Very flashy, with chromed (or maybe stainless??) head and seat lugs, but painted bottom bracket.
Practically speaking, the bottom bracket is not very visible, so there's not much reward for the money and effort spent to polish it (for either chrome or stainless).

I admit this seems a bit strange to me, surely if you're going to the trouble of having chrome lugs on the head tube, its not going to be that much more cost/weight/inconvenience to get the other ones done too? I did wonder maybe if chromed bottom bracket lugs were rarer as that area of the bike gets exposed to the most crud, and unless you live in California or Arizona they could end up looking tatty and tarnished much quicker than chromed head tube ones. Any other thoughts or reasons why the chromed bottom bracket lugs are so rare?

Personally I love chrome, on lugs and stays, it just adds a bit of extra dazzle on the rare days the sun decides to shine here in the UK
Schwinn used to offer the Paramount in full chrome, as well as one or two other models. I suppose it saves the trouble of masking off the lugs and going through the painting process, but there's a lot more surface that has to be polished. I seem to recall that the polishing was never that good in the tight spaces around the bottom bracket, presumably because it's hard to get into that area, as well as the fact that few people look there. I've got a few shots of a chromed Paramount, but nothing showing the bottom bracket in particular.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 05-01-22, 04:23 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Interesting that the seat stays are chromed, but the back half of the seat lug is still painted, despite there being no question that there is chrome under the paint. Is it that the chrome wasn't easy to polish, or did the half-chromed lug become a signature feature of Cinelli?
I think the latter - have a pair of Model B from about the same time and both had that; kept it on the re-paints; have a pic of one of them (the decals are original, took a bit of time masking):

The box is how I shipped it several times, both post and air-travel.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 05-01-22, 09:05 AM
El Chaba

Originally Posted by oneclick
I think the latter - have a pair of Model B from about the same time and both had that; kept it on the re-paints; have a pic of one of them (the decals are original, took a bit of time masking):

The box is how I shipped it several times, both post and air-travel.
I love that box…..
Old 05-01-22, 06:53 PM
El Chaba

Gios….