Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

What brakes?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

What brakes?

Old 06-27-22, 04:02 PM
tornado60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
What brakes?

I'm curious what brakes you all prefer in ice and snow. All my bikes, except a few special oldies, have rim brakes. I have always used those just fine. But I am considering setting up a dedicated winter commuter, and am wondering if disc brakes might be better. I thought I' d see what people's experiences are.
Old 06-28-22, 05:39 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 80 Posts
Good topic. I've been wondering the same over the years. My winter bike has cantis and they've been serving me well, except for blowing out a rear sidewall after 12k hard winter miles. I'm interested in how the disk brakes hold up to winter crap--brine, icing over, corrosion over time, etc. The cantis have been very robust and easy to maintain--clean and lube the posts every year or two, deal with the pads every few years, dump some hot water on them to thaw them out, etc. But braking in poor conditions, along with that sidewall blow out, is keeping me open-minded too.
Old 06-30-22, 10:56 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I don't know anything about disc-brakes but I do know that I prefer V-brakes over the cantilever-brakes i used to have.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man: