Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sunscreen that doesn't destroy your skin when wearing all day?

Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Old 07-26-22, 07:22 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts

What are people putting on their faces that doesn't massively over-oil skin? I'm so tired of pizzaface for a week after a brevet, yuck. Plus on multi-day events it can actively be starting to be painful to grind it in over clogged pores. (And yes, I'm cleaning it off well post-ride/before sleeping, it's just having it on there for that long during the ride.)
Old 07-26-22, 08:04 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Bullfrog Gel works for me. The alcohol-based gel doesn't give me the oily build-up most sunscreens do.

While the Bullfrog was out of production for a couple years, I tried physical (titanium dioxide and zinc oxide) sunscreens. It sat on top of my skin and collected dead gnats and dirt. After the first couple rides I started scraping the residue off with an old credit card before showering. (Wipe the card off with a Kleenex or paper towel as needed.) That didn't completely solve the problem, but it helped!
Old 07-26-22, 08:17 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Have you tried Neutrogena Clear Face?

(not the best person for advice on sunscreen but I did consult in that industry for a period of time and saw the customer complaints on certain types of formulations)
Old 07-26-22, 03:56 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Have not tried either of those! The neutrogena ultra sheer and it’s generic CVS version have been my usual goop, and it’s great on non-face skin but not on my face. I’ll try those two— for long rides I don’t mind just using the fancy face stuff for everything. (Especially since whenever I can I ride in ultralight long sleeves and knickers so I’m mostly putting it on my face, neck, and shins.)
Old 07-26-22, 04:42 PM
GhostRider62

neutrogena ultra sheer and clear face have similar active ingredients but different proportions, the inactives are a little different.

I would try the Neutrogena Clear Face SPF 30. If that works, try the SPF 55
Old 07-26-22, 10:18 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Honestly I don't know much on this subject, but for what it's worth, I primarily use Sunplay Sport SPF120, this comes in a liquid form rather than thick lotion/gel and they also come in very small bottles that easily fit into the jersey pocket or saddle bag. While I don't have any skin issues with this particular product, but I notice they tend to stick onto my skin quite aggressively(?), I end up double-washing myself in the bathroom to get rid of the remaining layer after a ride.
Likes For atwl77:
Old 07-28-22, 06:32 AM
GhostRider62

Many recumbent riders swear by DaBrim visor products to keep the sun off the face. I have never tried them but given the universal love for them in that world, I thought I would pass that along. They make many different models to keep the sun out of your eyes or off the face. Could maybe used from say 10-4 when the sun is the worst and then stowed?

https://dabrim.com/collections/cycli...SAAEgJZ-vD_BwE
Old 07-28-22, 10:41 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
Blue Lizzard.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 07-29-22, 07:02 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
On really sunny, hot days, I have thought that a balaclava made out of sun screen fabric might be nice. Probably scare too many people though.
Old 07-29-22, 09:52 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
On really sunny, hot days, I have thought that a balaclava made out of sun screen fabric might be nice. Probably scare too many people though.
I dunno. The wind in my face is one of the things that keeps me riding!
Old 07-29-22, 07:24 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Aliexpress has tons of them, usually under 5$ shipped... I thought about getting one after I shaved all my hair off but have been alright with some thin beanies under the helmet and sunscreen for the face.
Old 08-01-22, 07:48 PM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
A lot of face moisturizers have SPF protection. I (and my wife with sensitive skin) use a different product for the face then the rest of the body. Inconvenient for brevets of course and they are generally expensive but they work well. I'm embarrassed to share the brand we currently have since it costs a ridiculous amount (which I wasn't aware of until I googled it!)

David
Likes For David in Maine:
Old 08-02-22, 08:21 AM
antimonysarah

Hah. I have hip length hair (in a bun while riding) — I can’t comfortably wear winter balaclavas without a lot of finagling. But I can see the appeal. Also avoids any upset stomach after swallowing too much sunscreen runoff dripping down your face with sweat (ew.)
Old 08-09-22, 10:30 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I use mineral sunscreen pretty much exclusively on the bike. It's expensive, hard to use and makes you look like a ghost, but it's a lot better for your skin. I have a tube of thinksport this season, but there are a lot of good options. ewg.org is a good resource for finding something that works for you.
Old 08-23-22, 11:48 PM
Shadwhand

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Japanese Sunscreen is my goto for anything sunscreen related nowadays. It goes on and feels soft to the touch (no stickiness or what not). Shiseido Anessa is my go-to for heavy-sweat conditions, Biore for everyday usage.
Old 08-25-22, 04:32 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by antimonysarah
Hah. I have hip length hair (in a bun while riding) — I can’t comfortably wear winter balaclavas without a lot of finagling. But I can see the appeal. Also avoids any upset stomach after swallowing too much sunscreen runoff dripping down your face with sweat (ew.)
I modified a heavy Polartec balaclava by adding a similar weigh neck gaiter as a "arm" out the back. I wouldn't have the patience to hand stich spf fabric, but just adding a ponytail slit to the back would be pretty easy.

An as a slightly more relevant comment last year I had a problem with a Walgreens store brand "dry" 100spf sunscreen that ran into my eye and burned. It was very persistent and I couldn't wash it out of my eye with 2 water bottles. I was close to home so rode 5 miles home with one eye shut.