Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Triumph pedal size?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-22, 10:11 AM
AGG883

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

I have a Raleigh Triumph Challenger MTB bought in 2010. I am trying to replace the pedals and found that the crank thread size is larger than the standard 9/16". Can't seem to find any info on the internet regarding larger thread size pedals. Was wondering if anyone has run into this problem?
Old 07-26-22, 01:21 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
What crankset is on the bike?

I doubt this is your issue but there are things out there like Shimano Dyna Drive
https://bicyclecollective.org/produc...-39t-pre-owned
Old 07-26-22, 03:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
The first thing I thought of is a pedal hole that has been wallowed out by a loose pedal. I also thought of the Shimano DD crank but will bet an Ebeer that this bike won't have that crankset. There have been some cranksets that had no threads and instead the pedal was held in place with a nut on the arm's back side. But these are usually small child bikes and the pedal axle/threading is about the same size (or smaller) as more common threaded arm set ups.

If we could see photos we might be able to tell more. The usual when one doesn't know what they have is to take the bike to a shop where experience might be applied and where a replacement might be bought from. Andy
Old 07-26-22, 05:41 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
The crank should use 9/16" x 20tpi thread; I agree with @Andrew R Stewart that the crank arm is likely damaged. Is it one side or both? If one side, drive side or non-drive side? Non-drive side would likely be easy to simply replace; if you're not fussy, it doesn't have to be the same make/model, just match the length. Helicoil repairs work, but might be a significant fraction of the cost of a new arm.

N.B. Shimano Dyna-Drive had been out of production for 25 years by the time the OP's bike was made, so I find that an unlikely possibility.
Old 07-26-22, 05:56 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
First I'd check to see if you bought the right pedals.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 07-28-22, 08:29 PM
AGG883

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Just a fluke!

Thanks for the responses on this problem. I got to thinking and remeasured the original pedals that were marked (L BR) and (R BR) which made me think they were British StandardWhitworth. They measured .562" which is 9/16. The Bell 350 pedals from Walmart were stamped with 9/16 and were smaller than the threads in the crank. They slid right inside the crank threads. After I returned them to Walmart I got to thinking they may have been stamped incorrectly so I went and checked another set at Walmart and they measured .562", so I bought them and sure enough they fit the crank fine. It was just a fluke that I picked up a defected set of pedals. The pedals themselves appear to be of the same quality as the original ones, so I'm all set now. I really appreciate all the responses and help I have received from the forum! Thanks again.
Likes For AGG883: