Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Dyna Drive pedal rebuild process

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 12-21-06, 01:57 AM
intron

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 21 Posts

anyone ever rebuild these pedals? they are dura ace AX. the ones with the outboard bearing. is there a trick to taking them apart? are they threaded different?

cheers
Old 12-21-06, 05:34 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by intron
anyone ever rebuild these pedals? they are dura ace AX. the ones with the outboard bearing. is there a trick to taking them apart? are they threaded different?

cheers
I did it like twenty years ago and have now forgotten the exact procedure. It helps to have the correct dyna drive pedal wrench to remove the pedals in the first place. The "axle" is like 32 mm across the flats or bigger, not a common size wrench to have laying around. Channel locks and such can ruin the chrome plating on the outside. Once the pedal is off you need several sizes of allen wrenches, again I don't remember the sizes. There are 2 rows of ball bearings on the inside that will start to fall all over the floor so you need to be prepared. Also there are little dust seals that you need to keep track of. After I was done I had done one pedal perfect and the other pedal was imperfect because I made an error with one of the dust seals or something. Using quality grease like Finish Line teflon and really packing it full will make everything silky smooth.
I hope you are successful.
Old 12-21-06, 04:48 PM
intron

Hi Masi61,

i got the pedals off, but is there a direction to turn the allen keys? you have to use two at the same time or can i just turn one? for example, on the right pedal which way do i turn the big allen key hole? the one that is on the bearing? i have tried counter clockwise and clockwise and nothing budges.

Thanks
Old 12-21-06, 04:59 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Hi Masi61,

i got the pedals off, but is there a direction to turn the allen keys? you have to use two at the same time or can i just turn one? for example, on the right pedal which way do i turn the big allen key hole? the one that is on the bearing? i have tried counter clockwise and clockwise and nothing budges.

Thanks
I still have my Dyna Drive pedals out in my parts box. The only way I could help you would be to grab on e of the pedals and some allen wrenches and try it out. I'm a pretty good mechanic when I set my mind to solving a problem. I'll let you know.
Old 12-22-06, 08:24 AM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Easy to install and remove with a wrench. Contrary to modern pedals, mine (1980 vintage) had the flat part wide enough to allow the use of a standard wrench rather than an expensive pedal wrench. As for all pedals, the left one is left-threaded.

If they don't bulge, try to spray some nut looser around and wait 12-24 hours. And visit a bike- or car-mechanic that has a wrench of the proper size; don't use an adjustable wrench.

Mine worked trouble-free until 1998-1999. I had then to rebuild them a few times until they bit the dust in 2002 or 2003. So R.I.P after a little over 50 000 km, including some rain and snow.
Old 12-24-06, 01:08 PM
intron

So, the allen key on the left side is reverse threaded? i still need two allen keys to expose the bearing balls right?, or once i remove the outboard bearing from the pedal itself the bearing balls will fall out?
Old 04-25-16, 09:14 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
Yes. I'm digging up a 10-year-old thread. Because relevance. And because it might be some kind of dubious record. And because I'm guessing after a decade someone may have an answer to share.

Everything else on the bike has come apart flawlessly, but I can't get inside the EX pedals. They're currently taking part in an ongoing PB Blaster party. In the meantime, is there a particular order I need to go in terms of disassembly? Seems the 6mm is the obvious choice (crank side of pedal), but nothing's moving. Also wondering, as there's a little pinhole in each (perhaps to facilitate removal), if the dustcaps are supposed to come off first and that's why I can't get any movement from the cup itself. I've encountered stranger things....

What I don't want to do is mess these things up, as parts are probably not too easy to come by. So if anyone can answer with some authority I'd appreciate it. And "just use more torque, ya jerk" is a perfectly acceptable response if that's the answer. Here's the exploded view, courtesy of @T-Mar, so we're all on the same page:

Dammit. Photobucket is down for maintenance. Guess I'll do it the lazy way. Thumb attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DA7200 pedal.jpg (96.0 KB, 432 views)
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 04-26-16, 12:44 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Here are couple of more images of the instructions brochure for Dura Ace AX Dynadrive pedals. Note these are NOT EX pedals.

I just took off one of my drive side Dynadrive pedals. I have these on two bicycles.

I inserted the 6mm hex key into the hex on the spindle and inserted the 5mm hex key into thelock-nut on the inside of the pedal body.

The 5m key handle is pointind out over the cleat plate towards the rear of the pedal..

Turning the 6mm hex key CLOCKWISE resulted in the cone loosening. If I keep turning the 6mm key clockwise the cone will eventually separate from the lock nut.

I hope that helps you.

Note that in the image I provided it says that the notches on the left pedal housing are IDENTIFYING NOTCHES. The right pedal housing does NOT have them.

Cheers

Dura Ace AX 1b by Miele Man, on Flickr

Dura Ace AX 1a by Miele Man, on Flickr
Old 04-26-16, 07:26 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
@Miele Man: That does help. Thanks!
...and sorry about the messed-up nomenclature. Good thing you knew what I was talking about better than I did!

EDIT: Well, it would have except that the one that is now broken free went the regular way, i.e. counter-clockwise. Does it make sense for these to use reverse threading for opposite sides? Dunno. But I'm halfway home.

FINAL EDIT FOR FUTURE REFERENCE: Both sides go counter-clockwise for removal. Fight hard, trust the threads. The correct answer to my original post did in fact turn out to be "more torque, ya jerk."
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera

Last edited by Fahrenheit531; 04-27-16 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-01-16, 05:31 PM
shuru421

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 20 Posts
So I just went ahead and overhauled these pedals, and turns out that the dust caps are completely worn out and does not do its job...stay sealed. So Im wondering, are these CRITICAL to have or can I survive without them? Im going to go and guess its close to impossible to find replacement dust caps for these, but perhaps maybe I can use something else? Any suggestions?
Old 11-02-16, 08:35 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26251 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
...for anyone who just wants to follow the path of least resistance with these pedals, but still use the original crank (mine was a pretty nice one), there's a guy in Russia machining and selling retrofit adapters for the crank holes that will step them down to fit a standard 9/16 pedal threading. So you can choose from the wide assortment of current swell pedals available from MKS, etc.

Shimano Dura Ace AX EX 600AX Dyna Drive Deore Pedal adaptors cranks adapters | eBay

...also this guy in Poland, for ten bucks more:

New cranks pedal adapters for Shimano Dura Ace AX EX 600AX Dyna Drive Deore | eBay
Old 11-03-16, 08:31 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...for anyone who just wants to follow the path of least resistance with these pedals, but still use the original crank (mine was a pretty nice one), there's a guy in Russia machining and selling retrofit adapters for the crank holes that will step them down to fit a standard 9/16 pedal threading. So you can choose from the wide assortment of current swell pedals available from MKS, etc.

Shimano Dura Ace AX EX 600AX Dyna Drive Deore Pedal adaptors cranks adapters | eBay

New cranks pedal adapters for Shimano Dura Ace AX EX 600AX Dyna Drive Deore | eBay
Cool, I still have three sets of DD cranks including a DA set with home-made triple using the old Campy kit. But i have only a single set of OEM Shimano Adapters.
Old 11-06-16, 06:08 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
I have a couple of different DD cranks, one DA racing the the other a touring triple. Also a couple of sets of DD pedals, one still NOS in the box, and today I found this. I was pretty sure I had one and it turned up while I was looking in the toolbox for something else. It has "For DD pedal" stamped in it. I found a few sets of the adaptors over the years that I passed on to other folks.
DD wrench.jpg
Old 11-08-16, 06:53 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by 3alarmer

Just remember that if you do use inserts to convert Dynadrive cranks to 9/16" pedals that you are effectively shortening the crank arms by about 5 or 7 millimeters.

Cheers
Old 11-08-16, 07:20 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Just remember that if you do use inserts to convert Dynadrive cranks to 9/16" pedals that you are effectively shortening the crank arms by about 5 or 7 millimeters.

Cheers
Not true, 170mm DD cranks are 170mm center to center. DD cranks feel like a longer crank but measure out like any traditional crank.
Old 11-08-16, 07:37 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
This is why I love Bike Forums.

I've never owned a set of these pedals and cranks. I saw them when they first came out and developed an immediate allergy to them. I have now just learned more trivia about a technology that I will continue to resist owning than I had ever hoped to know, .
Old 11-08-16, 12:16 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by Mr IGH
Not true, 170mm DD cranks are 170mm center to center. DD cranks feel like a longer crank but measure out like any traditional crank.
BUT the DD pedal is a drop pedal and the pedal body is lower than the center to center measurement from the pedal eye to crank spindle.

Cheers
Old 11-08-16, 12:29 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I have now just learned more trivia about a technology that I will continue to resist owning than I had ever hoped to know.
You need some. Buy mine. I've never used them either but you can't claim to be an enthusiast unless your place is crammed full of crap like this that you'll never get around to putting on a bike of your own.
Old 11-09-16, 05:57 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
BUT the DD pedal is a drop pedal and the pedal body is lower than the center to center measurement from the pedal eye to crank spindle.

Cheers
Longer at the bottom, shorter at the top, that was DD "attraction" when they came out. In some way, the "effective crank length" varies with pedal position.

In any case, when a DD crank has 170mm stamped on it, you can be sure it's center to center. If you buy some adapters to use 9/16 pedals that doesn't change the actual crank length. It does eliminate the DD variable crank length "feature".

Last edited by Mr IGH; 11-09-16 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-06-17, 04:56 PM
RichTheRider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dura Ace AX DD pedals had 'easy-in' advantage

I found the DD pedals, with their short cleat plate and below-axle line design to be the fastest cleated pedals to get into. Their natural hanging angle made it easy for the toe of my shoe to find the strap opening and level out the pedal for easy entry. So, while other guys were fumbling around at a green light to get into their pedals, I was already off and running (riding) in the Dura Ace AX's.

I miss them for their low-centered design. But I don't miss dealing with straps.
Old 07-29-22, 09:54 AM
Mark Scho

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for this thread, I found it really helpful. Only comments to add:
  • No reverse threads on the pedal cones or locking screws,
  • For me, it was much easier to remove the locking screw before attempting to remove the cone. Once I did that, it came apart easily.
Old 07-29-22, 12:36 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
any

cheers
December 2006:
  • Bush II was president - signed Patriot Act, outlawed stem cell research
  • Danish "draw Muhammad" cartoons in the news cause riots.
  • Saddam Hussein convicted of crimes against humanity.
  • Boulevard of Broken Dreams is the record of the year.
  • Pluto demoted to dwarf planet status
  • Deaths: Saddam Hussein, Gerald Ford, Maureen Stapleton
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 07-29-22, 03:25 PM
intron

Wow. Got an alert for a reply to this thread. What a blast from
the past !

hope everyone is doing well.