Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Strange bearing count in Spidel 700 LF rear hub......

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-22, 01:12 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts

Finally got to open up my Spidel 700 low flange hubs I will be using to build up my new wheelset for my 83 Gitane Pro.
The hub is NOS, but was in need of attention as the dust caps at the drive side of the hub was dragging somewhere on the hub shell. Took the axle off and was surprised that the bearing count on the two sides of the hub was different. On the drive side of the hub, the bearing race was pretty much filled up completely with 9 bearings, while the NDS had 8 bearings. The bearing race dimensions look identical but it seems like Spidel thought the drive side deserved more bearings than the non drive side.
Did they think the drive side needed more bearings as the axle has amore cantilevered condition and the wheel spokes are closer to vertical and will transmit more load and road shock on to the bearings on that side? Or did they just screw up and left off on hearing on the non drive side. Should I add in the missing bearing at the NDS?
It turned out that the dust cap drag on the hubshell was caused by the over tightening at the factory of the axle/bearing nuts. I reassembled the hub with the axle nuts not as tight as it was, without any play on the axle and bearings and the dustcap drag was gone.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 08-24-22, 03:32 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Never cling to an assumption of perfection. Could have just been an ESP (error some place). I’d reassemble with 9 and 9 then see how it feels. You know what a properly adjusted hub feel like know. Go with whatcha know.

On those “axle nuts”, do you mean the cone lock nuts? I find that if they are not good and tight the cones loosen up. Seems there should be another solution than leaving them a bit loose.
Old 08-24-22, 05:33 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
It turned out that the dust cap drag on the hubshell was caused by the over tightening at the factory of the axle/bearing nuts. I reassembled the hub with the axle nuts not as tight as it was, without any play on the axle and bearings and the dustcap drag was gone.
I'm not getting what "dustcap drag" is.
Old 08-24-22, 07:17 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Be careful with those locknuts when you're tightening them. One of my Spidel hubs locknuts was cracked and is almost unobtainium.
Old 08-24-22, 12:03 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
I'm not getting what "dustcap drag" is.
The dust/shield over the bearings is attached to the outer cones so the whole cap shield stays stationary with the axles as the hub spins. The cap's perimeter is bent inwards towards the hub and goes into a continuous slot (to create a simple labyrinth seal) at the hub body edge. Somehow, the drive side cap was in too deep into the hub slot and dragging and keeping the hub body from spinning freely from the axle.

Last edited by Chombi1; 08-24-22 at 12:16 PM.
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 08-25-22, 03:44 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
^^^^^^^^ All of those dust shields I’ve seen are just press fit onto the cones. They can be slid around on the cone to get the clearance you want. When the occasion arises I set them up against the edge of the flats for the cone wrench. No problem getting the cones tight. Yes I’ve done that when changing pitted cones but needing to reuse the same shields.
Old 08-25-22, 07:03 AM
esasjl

Bikes: '84 Chas Roberts, '91 Peugeot Galibier, '94 Gitane Leader, '51 Dayton Elite, '90 Verago ATB, '08 Dawes Sardar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 60 Posts
I've seen Zeus Gigante (Campag 1035 clones) rear hubs with eight 1/4" ball bearings instead of nine. I've serviced with nine new ball bearings. The ninth bearing is a 'click' fit so I wonder if eight were originally installed to reduce assembly times.