Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Return rider looking for advice

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Return rider looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-22, 01:53 AM
jema123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Hi, I think you've caught most of us by surprise. We're trying to figure out what you mean. I'm getting that we're talking over your head about stuff which you don't seem to have a solid understanding. It's not knocking you, discussions work best when we all know what the 'baseline' of understanding is...
rm-rf's post trys to get some of these basics covered - are you understanding that ?
The range of gears on a bike like the Domane & Emonda are meant to allow the 'motor'/you to utilize your strength and ability to produce the power with 'gear' combinations which can work best for you. But YOU have to pick the gear combo which will work the best for you, at any pace, terrain, or conditions of the ride.
Bikes all require the 'motor'/you to provide the power to get up to speed - there's some small variance from a 'cheap' bike to a 'expensive' bike due to 'better stuff' - it's mostly up to the motor to do the work, provide the power.
Sure, stuff like difference between a big, heavy tire with lugs, vs a lighter, easier rolling tire will make a big difference, but there's not much else.
You say your old bike seemed 'faster' than the new bike - Does that mean 'easier' to pedal up to any certain speed?
It might be good to tell what your 'old' bike was, and anything you might know about it's 'gearing'. That'll help get the conversation in some relative space/framework.
Comparing to others you might ride with is only valuable in understanding the differences between you and them, and learning to better use the attributes you have.
at the moment we're all guessing your current level, where you are, and what you're expectations are.
You might give us some idea what bike you're coming from, what kind of riding you are doing or wish to do, and what you're expectations are - if you want ideas and comments which might be more focused for you.
Ride On
Yuri
You say your old bike seemed 'faster' than the new bike - Does that mean 'easier' to pedal up to any certain speed? Yes. it felt like I had to high revs in a high gear to get speed happening. My muscles were sore and cramping after my last ride. I may just be heavier and that is making me slower. I tried to compensate by upping the cadence. (am I using the word correctly)
My expectations are for excercise and to ride centuries. I did centuries in the past and in my 20s, trained to do some racing. Just some local, low level racing in NYC parks. I had dreams but then just settled into centuries. Whenever I gained a few, got on the bike and was back in shape pretty easily. Now I am middle-aged and live has got in the way. During the pandemic I tried to buy a new bike but couldn't get one. A friend lent me a hybrid so I got back into bike but wanted to go faster than that. I settled on endurance bike because I didn't have a desire to race but to ride distances and just for exercise. Since I started riding, I got mind ****ed watching people fly by me, and wanted to blame the bike but it's me and my expectations.

My old bike I brought in the late 90s, it was a frame that was ordered by a pro woman cyclist who went with a titanium model of it. It is a liteweight steel frame with a Campy group - Veloce. I don't even know if that is beginner or what but it only had 9 speeds in the cassette and was a ***** on hills. I had to always get out of the saddle. It was a small company in Colorado that made it, most people never heard of it (Clark Kent), but I'm keeping the frame as it's special to me.

It was the second decent bike I owned. The first I got in college was a used Miyata my roommates boyfriend sold me when he got a higher quality bike, he was a big road cyclist. There was a huge difference between that bike and my next bike in performance. But it was a fun bike better than the chain store 10speed, I grew up with.

But after being so sore, I'm going to forget other people and just focus on myself and get my time and miles in each week.
Likes For jema123:
Old 08-25-22, 07:22 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by jema123

But after being so sore, I'm going to forget other people and just focus on myself and get my time and miles in each week.
Yes, give it some time and don't try to do too much all at once. If you haven't been riding a lot it can take a while. Don't forget about rest days.

You are using the word correctly. Cadence is the rpm of your crankset, your pedaling speed.

I have heard of Clark Kent bikes, a friend bought one with the curved seat tube back around 1992, I think.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-25-22, 07:39 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Ha, yes, "time and miles each week". That's what you need. There will be a big improvement after a month of steady riding.
Old 08-25-22, 08:06 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
This is amazing stuff. A bit over my head but the key word is cadence. I'm doing a lot of revolutions as I ride trying to go faster, which might explain why after my last ride my entire leg cramped up and I wasn't moving during my other workouts much. I did over do it trying to go faster and the slow moving was probably due to lack of fitness. I did not reach 39mph but I over did it. I am going to hit a longer ride and hit some incline this weekend and see how it goes. My old bike has a wired cateye that does measure cadence, but I wasn't putting that on my new bike. I just use Strava from my phone.
What kind of speeds are you seeing?

If you are expecting to see an average pace in the 30s, that's probably not realistic unless going downhill.

Why don't you post the Strava data from a ride (black out personal info)?
Old 08-25-22, 09:18 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
If you are expecting to see an average pace in the 30s, that's probably not realistic unless going downhill.
This would be the first time I heard of a doping group! You can't go downhill forever unless it's a highway to hell.
Old 08-25-22, 09:36 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by koala logs
This would be the first time I heard of a doping group! You can't go downhill forever unless it's a highway to hell.
I might be on it, but that's something to worry about another day.
Old 08-25-22, 09:41 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 438 Posts
Yeah, Ok, understanding where you're coming from. I've been on the 'rethread' side of riding/cycling now for a few years. Improvements do come, given time and consistent effort.
I'm certain the 'New' Bike will eventually seem as 'fast' as the older one; just takes time to bring the motor back up.
The 'coming back' part can be difficult or it can also be encouraging. It's sort of like being a beginner, all over again; except you have some memory of where you once were and that can help pull you forward.
I like being a 'beginner' in things, because each success improvement or learning step is thrilling. Like learning to ski and wondering how you're gonna make these long sticks at the bottom of your feet go where you want them to... cycling has that also.
As You stated "I'm going to forget other people and just focus on myself and get my time and miles in each week.". It's important to be accepting of where one is at any point, and not be discouraged.
A 'motivation' I use whenever I feel myself losing or wanting to generate even more enthusiasm is to bring back memories of specific times and places where I totally enjoyed doing something.
If you're still in the NYC area, maybe going back to the Parks where you rode often and riding again, just for fun, will bring some real spirit. I happen to have 'started' my dedicated riding back in Central and Prospect Parks also, back in the Mid & late 60s. I've not been there for some decades, but always find great memories popping up of my times there and what I learned.

You might also have some good memories in those earlier times - use them!
Doing some of your riding with cycling groups can be a strong motivator. Some riders will be stronger, but surely there'll be others who might ride at your level. A combination of solo and group riding, I believe, is a good way to improve and also keep a good balance of effort and enjoyment.
Learning the finer points of using yourself and your machine, how you are positioned and your posture on the bike, is important to not only riding your best, but also doing it for as many years ass possible. It's a never ending learning process, which I love. Because as soon as you think you know it all, your body makes a major change and throws you a curve which again challenges you... LOL!
It's all good, great !
Anyway, as you move forward in your re-entry, you'll likely find you want or need to make 'adjustments' to bike and yourself/position/posture. Don't make wholesale changes - they rarely if ever, lead to improvements. Make small, incremental changes - one change at a time. Ride the change for a reasonable amount of time, allowing your body to adjust. The change may be a good one, which doesn't feel so great at first... We are a remarkable, flexible machine - but our body also works off 'memory' and doesn't like to adjust quickly.
Anyway, Big Thumbs up for your re-entry !
Ride On
Yuri

Here's a good video from GCN on re-entry. Not all applies, because 2 very fit young guys just don't really know what lies ahead for them, as they age... LOL! But some great points anyway

Last edited by cyclezen; 08-25-22 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-25-22, 09:46 AM
jema123

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mojo31
What kind of speeds are you seeing?

Why don't you post the Strava data from a ride (black out personal info)?
I'm not able to post pictures yet, but looking forward to a short ride after work today and a longer one on the weekend will analyze my date then. My expectations are just not being passed by a beach cruiser.

Last edited by jema123; 08-25-22 at 09:49 AM. Reason: BTW I'm in SoCal now
Old 08-25-22, 09:51 AM
Mojo31
-------

I'm not able to post pictures yet, but looking forward to a short ride after work today and a longer one on the weekend will analyze my date then. My expectations are just not being passed by a beach cruiser.
Just don't forget that that beach cruiser passing you might just have a motor. I've lived that!
Old 08-25-22, 09:52 AM
jema123

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Yeah, Ok, understanding where you're coming from. I've been on the 'rethread' side of riding/cycling now for a few years. Improvements do come, given time and consistent effort.
I'm certain the 'New' Bike will eventually seem as 'fast' as the older one; just takes time to bring the motor back up.
The 'coming back' part can be difficult or it can also be encouraging. It's sort of like being a beginner, all over again; except you have some memory of where you once were and that can help pull you forward.
I like being a 'beginner' in things, because each success improvement or learning step is thrilling. Like learning to ski and wondering how you're gonna make these long sticks at the bottom of your feet go where you want them to... cycling has that also.
As You stated "I'm going to forget other people and just focus on myself and get my time and miles in each week.". It's important to be accepting of where one is at any point, and not be discouraged.
A 'motivation' I use whenever I feel myself losing or wanting to generate even more enthusiasm is to bring back memories of specific times and places where I totally enjoyed doing something.
If you're still in the NYC area, maybe going back to the Parks where you rode often and riding again, just for fun, will bring some real spirit. I happen to have 'started' my dedicated riding back in Central and Prospect Parks also, back in the Mid & late 60s. I've not been there for some decades, but always find great memories popping up of my times there and what I learned.

You might also have some good memories in those earlier times - use them!
Doing some of your riding with cycling groups can be a strong motivator. Some riders will be stronger, but surely there'll be others who might ride at your level. A combination of solo and group riding, I believe, is a good way to improve and also keep a good balance of effort and enjoyment.
Learning the finer points of using yourself and your machine, how you are positioned and your posture on the bike, is important to not only riding your best, but also doing it for as many years ass possible. It's a never ending learning process, which I love. Because as soon as you think you know it all, your body makes a major change and throws you a curve which again challenges you... LOL!
It's all good, great !
Anyway, as you move forward in your re-entry, you'll likely find you want or need to make 'adjustments' to bike and yourself/position/posture. Don't make wholesale changes - they rarely if ever, lead to improvements. Make small, incremental changes - one change at a time. Ride the change for a reasonable amount of time, allowing your body to adjust. The change may be a good one, which doesn't feel so great at first... We are a remarkable, flexible machine - but our body also works off 'memory' and doesn't like to adjust quickly.
Anyway, Big Thumbs up for your re-entry !
Ride On
Yuri

Here's a good video from GCN on re-entry. Not all applies, because 2 very fit young guys just don't really know what lies ahead for them, as they age... LOL! But some great points anyway
5 Ways To Get Back Into Cycling - How To Return To Cycling After A Break
I love these guys, discovered their youtube videos and watched a lot of them. Great stuff. The only biking I can do now is on a citibike when I go back to NYC. I loved River Road rides and going into Piedmont and Nyack
Old 08-25-22, 10:20 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 438 Posts
I love these guys, discovered their youtube videos and watched a lot of them. Great stuff. The only biking I can do now is on a citibike when I go back to NYC. I loved River Road rides and going into Piedmont and Nyack
ah, the Runcible Spoon ride... LOL! great fun ! super social ! one does learn how to deal with Traffic there... NY Drivers... makes riding in a 100 strong Peloton going 30+ feel ... safe... LOL!
Ride On
Yuri
Edit: we did that and then added sections to Bear Mtn, Harriman St Pk and over to Warwick , down to Ramapo, Saddle River and over...

Last edited by cyclezen; 08-25-22 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-25-22, 11:00 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
Don't worry about getting passed, it happens to us all.

I recently got caught, passed, and dropped by a 60+ year old guy with some extra pounds to spare around the middle--on a climb. I was on my lighter-than-UCI-allows road bike. He was on a beach cruiser (no motor).

It turns out he is a masters racer in the local club.

There's always someone who is stronger than you.

Just ride your pace.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-26-22, 07:35 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Don't worry about getting passed, it happens to us all.

I recently got caught, passed, and dropped by a 60+ year old guy with some extra pounds to spare around the middle--on a climb. I was on my lighter-than-UCI-allows road bike. He was on a beach cruiser (no motor).

It turns out he is a masters racer in the local club.

There's always someone who is stronger than you.

Just ride your pace.
What kind of pedal is he using on that beach cruiser?
Old 08-26-22, 08:08 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Welcome to riding in NYC. River Rd in Palisades Park and Rt 9 are great. For shorter days, laps around Central Park help with fitness, as well - just best to go when there are fewer tourists.

One thing that I noticed when I ran the 11-34 cassette was that I was rarely in the 'right' gear - one gear would be too hard and I'd have to crank, the next one down would be too easy and my legs wouldn't want to spin at that cadence for very long. The reason for this is that there are bigger gaps in the 'cruising' range - I usually use between 13-19, depending on the terrain. The 11-34 cassette goes 13-15-17-19, meaning that you can't shift into the in-between gears, 14-16 (18 doesn't matter quite as much). Once I switched cassettes to something that had 13-14-15-16-17-19, I was able to maintain a cadence and a power output that my legs were happy with. You might be seeing that with your perceived effort being high, and speed not where you want it.

Your shop may be able to help you with saddles - wouldn't hurt to ask if they have test saddles in different sizes.

I use a phone holder on my bikes because I don't yet see the need for a proper GPS head unit. I prefer the ones on Amazon that are fully silicone - ie, stretchy, with no hard plastic to rattle or little screws that could break or pull-through after a section of bad pavement. I would look for one that could be wrapped/clamped to a stem, rather than the handlebars - the handlebar mounted ones often have a tendency to rotate after a while. As for logging mileage, Many people use Strava, which uses the GPS on your phone to show you where you've been, how fast you went, and other nuggets.

Have fun out there!