Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Every bike you ever owned

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Every bike you ever owned

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-22, 12:42 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
edit: deleted. TMI
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
This.
Not sure I understand. Maybe I never will.
Old 09-01-22, 12:54 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Pardon my ignorance, but what's a 'zero bike'?
Bikes owned but at locations not your home(s). They get ridden only periodically at places you visit, aka 'sometimes bikes'.

Mine are: Olmo (@brother's), Wheeler (@sister's), Raleigh (@daughter's), Carabela (@friend's).

They are often lacking in some area. But more rewarding than endless chit-chat

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-01-22 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-01-22, 01:45 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Bikes owned but at locations not your home(s). They get ridden only periodically at places you visit, aka 'sometimes bikes'.
Ah, I am so going to keep one at my son's home if and when he moves away!
Old 09-01-22, 01:57 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 1,793 Posts
Not sure I understand. Maybe I never will.
I listed all my bikes, and then decided I didn't want to post all that info. I went through a whole rigmarole to get my identity anonymized here recently, so I don't want to squander that. The internet is not always a safe place. Nothing personal, I promise!
Old 09-01-22, 02:00 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I listed all my bikes, and then decided I didn't want to post all that info. I went through a whole rigmarole to get my identity anonymized here recently, so I don't want to squander that. The internet is not always a safe place. Nothing personal, I promise!
Ah, got it.

Now that I think about it, there probably is some hardcore cyclist out there who's passwords include something like Colnago or Bianchi.
Old 09-01-22, 02:05 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Ah, got it.

Now that I think about it, there probably is some hardcore cyclist out there who's passwords include something like Colnago or Bianchi.

lightbulb moment
Likes For DMC707:
Old 09-01-22, 02:22 PM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Raleigh Record (around 1973)
Peugeot PX10E
Zeus Professional
Masi Gran Criterium
Mercian
Colnago (don't remember which one)
DeRosa
Andy Gilmour tandem
Trek 5200
Trek 5500
Santana Sovereign tandem
Tarmac SL3
Time VXR
2015 Cannondale EVO (current)
Calfee Tetra tandem (current)
1985 Mercian KOM (current)
Mercian Strada Speciale 2022 (current)
Likes For jnbrown:
Old 09-01-22, 02:58 PM
BJack312

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 20 Posts
1977 - Mongoose BMX (my favorite bike of all time)
Mid 1980's - Trek 310? road bike (highschool & college bike)
1990ish - Miyata 914 w/ 7 speed 105 (rode for a long time, still in great condition)
1994 - Trek 7500 MTB (rode the wheels off this thing, still own it and plan to do a restoration some day)
2001 - Softride Classic R1 w/ 9 speed Dura Ace. (Still in mint condition and was my trainer bike until I purchased the Stages smartbike)
2020 - Fuji Jari Carbon 1.3 w/ 1X GRX (This is the bike I ride 99% of the time outside)
Likes For BJack312:
Old 09-01-22, 04:09 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by cyccommute
19 aluminum, 3 titanium, 18 steel. No current steel other than the Burley tandem which has been on permanent loan for almost 30 years.
Not a fan of carbon, it seems.
Old 09-01-22, 05:34 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,007 Posts
I'm old, I can't remember that far back, I know what I have now....

See signature...

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 09-01-22, 06:02 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts
Nor of steel. My go fast bike…a really nice Dean El Diente…hardly gets ridden so I don’t need a carbon go fast bike that is hardly ridden. My dually mountain bike hardly gets ridden so I don’t need a carbon dually that hardly get ridden. My Moots and Dean mountain bikes (soft tail and hard tail, respectively) have racks so that I can off-road tour on them and no carbon bike will come with rack mounts. My T1 is a touring bike and no one makes a carbon bike that even comes close. My running around town bike…which get ridden more than anything else…is another Cannondale touring bike that has a rack for utility and, again, carbon bikes like that just don’t exist. Finally, my cruiser bike (Philll) is an aluminum version of a classic cruiser which would be interesting in carbon but…yea…not enough money in the world for one.

And…donning my flame suit…carbon bikes are playthings. I wish it weren’t true because I’d love to build a sub 14 lb bike for my tiny wife, but at this point in history, that’s just what they are.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-01-22, 06:07 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
“It’s Not About the Bike.”

Dan

Sorry but it’s all about the bike. It doesn’t matter what the bike is but it is all about whatever bike you are riding.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-01-22, 06:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I doubt I could name half of them.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-01-22, 11:53 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Bikes I had:
1961: Some sort of red and white bike with silver fenders
1965: Some sort of red and white bike with silver fenders, Bendex 2 speed rear hub and a push button bell in the "tank"
1972: A beat up used white Gitane 10 speed with a steel cottered crank and knurled steel rims. Probably the cheapest Gitane made in the late 60s. A true POS which I stripped and rebuilt using Glenn's, and then blasted and rattle can painted Champagne color. Still a POS.
1978: the only brand new complete road bike I ever owned: a copper colored Windsor ?Carrera? with Suntour V-Luxe deraileurs, alloy cotterless crank and wheel rims, and bar end shifters. It was a very nice upgrade from anythng I'd ever ridden and I did like it a lot, but it was stolen within a year.
1979: A used complete, all original Raleigh SuperCourse, ca 1977 or so, I bought used because the Windsor was stolen off my back porch, cable cut. Plastic Simplex RD, Ideale Saddle, etc. I really loved that bike, more than the Windsor. Should have never sold it, but wasn't familiar with n+1 at the time
1990 or so: a used, cheap Bianchi, I bought to replace the Raleigh just because I thought a more modern bike with indexed shifting would be better. It was OK, but I never liked it very much and missed the SuperCourse the whole Time I had it.
2001 or so: a used Cannondale aluminum CAAD7 R1000 with Ultegra and Dura Ace components. Loved that bike and it got me more interested in riding, but couldn't get the fit to perfection, it was too racy. I went for a more "comfort" type of frame...

Bikes I have (4 or 5 road-ish bikes and one MTB):
2010 or so: Upgrading quite a bit, I bought a brand new 2010 Felt Z Carbon fiber Frame and fork which is the first bike I built up from scratch. I built up with, at the time, top of the line Sram Red 10 speed, with a Ritchey carbon fiber cockpit: Seat post, stem, handlebars and Reynolds alloy wheels. Still have it, still love it, still ride it, have no desire to replace it.
2012 or so, a used ?2009/2010? Jamis Nova Pro Frame and Fork which I built up with the Ultegra Triple 9 speed groupset I salvaged off of the above Cannondale. I technically still own the bike and rode it until late 2021, but it's now in the long-term possession of a family member, and happily so.
2015 or so: a ~mid-80s steel Sannino Frame and Fork which I built up with full ~mid-90s Italian parts: indexed Campy Record drive train (Syncro "3" DT shifters) adapted to a larger cassette and a compact crank, brakes, levers, seat post, etc. Built a similar era campy set of wheels with a used hub and NOS Omega rims. Everything is Campy except the stem and handlebars (3T) and the Saddle (Kontact, for comfort!). Still have it. Not my favorite, but I ride it in the rotation.
2017 or so: 1996 Litespeed Classic frame only which I built up mostly with parts on hand: Sram Force 10 speed, Dura Ace brakes, Shimano R700 compact crank, BWW Pure Race wheels, Bontrager XXL post, Deda stem and Easton 1" CF handlebars. Put a Columbus Minimal 1" threadless CF fork on it. Love it, ride it all the time.
2021: New Lynskey GR300 F&F I built up with Sram AXS Force ETap hydro disc and a set of Boyd 700c Wheels with 35mm tires. Seat post, stem and handlebars I had on hand (Velo Orange, Shockstop and HWY1, in order). Second set of RaceFace/DTSwiss 650B wheels with 2" tires.

I also have a mid-90s rigid Kona Lava Dome MTB with Suntour components.

Last edited by Camilo; 09-02-22 at 12:01 AM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 09-02-22, 05:30 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I have no idea about model years of the earlier ones but here's my list:

Panasonic DX 2000

LeMond (Trek) .....some sort of TI triple crank bike

Bianchi Squadra.....steel w/Columbus tubing

MAZA....not Masi....Columbus TSX tubing w/ Campagnolo wheels and Athena frictiion gruppo

2005 MASI Gran Criterium S......AL frame w/ CF fork and stays. Dura Ace 10 sp mechanical

Colnago World Cup CX.....11 sp 105 mechanical w/mechaniical discs and Mavic tubeless

Guru Sidero....steel w/Mavic tubeless. SRAM Red 10 sp mechanical

Cannondale CAAD 12....11 sp 105 Mechanical w/Mavic tubeless

Guru Photon.....Dura Ace 11 sp mechanical w/ Mavic R-SYS SLR Aluminum (1295 gr) clinchers

That's it except for the mandatory Schwinn and Huffy from childhood. Not too many for 40 yrs of cycling.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 09-02-22, 07:31 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
“Bike” is a fluid and evolving concept in my world. When it comes to frames, I’ve owned five since I bought my first one in 1975, three of which I have:

1) Azuki 23” road frame bought as a new bike in 1975. I outgrew it after a few years, turned it into a SS and gave it away to a friend.

2) 70s Witcomb USA 25” road frame. This was built into my only bike from late 70s to 1993. I still have the frame, repainted it a couple years ago, but not built up at the moment.

3) 90s Gary Fisher 20.5” Montare MTB, bought slightly used as a bike in 1993 and sold to a LBS owner a few years back. This was my main riding bike for the 20-some years I had it, since I switched mainly to trail riding when I got it.

4) 80s Schwinn Sprint 25” frame. I got this bike about six years ago for my son but the frame was too big. I got him a 23” Le Tour frame, built up his bike and kept just the bigger frame. I built the Sprint frame up a few years back and it gets a lot of miles.

5) 80s 22” RockHopper frame that I’ve built up in various ways and lately gets more winter miles.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 09-02-22 at 09:38 AM.
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-02-22, 09:06 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Sorry but it’s all about the bike. It doesn’t matter what the bike is but it is all about whatever bike you are riding.
I know that in reality it is for most cyclists (and I’m separating “cyclists” from general bicycle riders.)…and there’s nothing wrong with that. Certainly the bike is an integral factor. I do own a much newer CF bike that I do enjoy riding. But really only take it out occasionally. Personally, for me, it’s more about the conditions, frequently the company I’m with, and when and where I ride. Of course I want the bike I’m riding to be relatively sound mechanically. But as long as it’s well-adjusted and working well…it doesn’t have to be a high-tech machine for me to enjoy the ride. My old and outdated road bikes would probably be considered junk by most people in these forums. But I keep them maintained to the best of my ability, and I like riding them. Sometimes…when I’m traveling (without any of my own bikes) and don’t have convenient access to a rental bike…I’ve frequently taken local bike-share bikes on rides much longer than they’ve probably ever experienced. There have been some very memorable rides on them. I’d rather be on an old, but well-maintained bike, riding on an awesome route…than on a high-tech bike along a route that sucks. — Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 09-02-22, 09:42 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I know that in reality it is for most cyclists (and I’m separating “cyclists” from general bicycle riders.)…and there’s nothing wrong with that. Certainly the bike is an integral factor. I do own a much newer CF bike that I do enjoy riding. But really only take it out occasionally. Personally, for me, it’s more about the conditions, frequently the company I’m with, and when and where I ride. Of course I want the bike I’m riding to be relatively sound mechanically. But as long as it’s well-adjusted and working well…it doesn’t have to be a high-tech machine for me to enjoy the ride. My old and outdated road bikes would probably be considered junk by most people in these forums. But I keep them maintained to the best of my ability, and I like riding them. Sometimes…when I’m traveling (without any of my own bikes) and don’t have convenient access to a rental bike…I’ve frequently taken local bike-share bikes on rides much longer than they’ve probably ever experienced. There have been some very memorable rides on them. I’d rather be on an old, but well-maintained bike, riding on an awesome route…than on a high-tech bike along a route that sucks. — Dan
It's funny because I feel that a properly fitted bike should become an extension of one's body, meaning that enjoying the ride makes you almost forget which bike you're on anyway. That being said, bikes certainly do have their own ride and handling characteristics. That doesn't mean newer is better though. Plenty of people enjoy riding vintage bikes, or as mentioned above, materials other than CF. Old or new, expensive or inexpensive, doesn't matter.
Old 09-02-22, 12:45 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I never was and never will be. Why should I be a fan of carbon ?...I don't care how light it is or how much faster it rides, I just don't want a carbon bike because I prefer steel and aluminum.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-02-22, 04:52 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I never was and never will be. Why should I be a fan of carbon ?...I don't care how light it is or how much faster it rides, I just don't want a carbon bike because I prefer steel and aluminum.
Weird since I wasn’t talking to you, but no reason to be, other than the ones you listed yourself. Personally, if titanium weren’t so expensive, I’d probably be on that still.
Old 09-04-22, 02:18 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
What counts as a bike?

If you have all of the components but they aren't assembled, is that a bike? If it just hangs in a garag but never gets ridden, is that a bike? If you have everything except, maybe, pedals or handgrips is that a bike?

Years ago, at a party, I was asked how many bikes I owned. While I was considering the above my wife jumped in and said: "He has 7 bicycles." I spent the rest of the evening wondering to myself which ones she didn't know about.
Old 09-05-22, 01:28 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
What counts as a bike?
If you have all of the components but they aren't assembled, is that a bike? If it just hangs in a garag but never gets ridden, is that a bike? If you have everything except, maybe, pedals or handgrips is that a bike?
Whatever you want to count as a bike. I do remember the day when my garage had various fractions of a bike hanging around waiting to be completed, and always more wheels than bikes. FWIW the Trek 5500 and GT Edge mentioned in my post had the same components that were just swapped from one frame to the next. Same for the Schwinn and Cannondale track frames, and the Litespeed and Tsunami.