Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage MTB cooled up for an 11 year old

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage MTB cooled up for an 11 year old

Old 09-01-22, 12:50 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
Thanks Korina, he’s a fabulous little imp. He’s already 5’ tall so he’s outgrowing his current bike which is why I’m exploring options.

I don’t want to think about the amount of hours I have stripping the frame. Labor of love.
A kid 5 feet tall is a long way away from outgrowing a BMX bike. In fact, there's really almost no such thing as outgrowing a BMX bike. Six-footers and taller just put on bigger handlebars and tilt them forward and install layback seatposts.

Back in my bike store days, I saw a lot of parents (fathers, usually) determined to get kids that had just about grown into their BMX bikes onto bikes that were too large, so that they could "grow into them." Drove me nuts.

And a number of the kids that were more or less forced onto 24" or 26" wheel mountain bikes proceeded to trash those bikes by riding them like BMX bikes.

One mother brought her kid and his bike into the store, complaining that after only a month of riding, the fork was bent and the gears weren't working.

I turned to the kid and said, "Didn't I see you last week doing big drops on the motocross trails in the woods near here?"

He said proudly, "Yeah! I get more air than any of my friends!"
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 09-01-22, 03:02 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 539 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
One mother brought her kid and his bike into the store, complaining that after only a month of riding, the fork was bent and the gears weren't working.

I turned to the kid and said, "Didn't I see you last week doing big drops on the motocross trails in the woods near here?"

He said proudly, "Yeah! I get more air than any of my friends!"
🤣🤣

Mine’s not there and he thinks the foul-mouthed, cigarette smoking kids at the freestyle park are…unpleasant…

I’ll keep him on his bike for awhile and if he wants to change he can approach me.

Oh yeah, nice bike jdawginsc
Old 09-01-22, 03:32 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
He would kick my butt! He’s had 6-pack abs since he was 3.

Fair point. His BMX bike isn’t a cheap department store bike. I wouldn’t do that to him! Redline Pro-line Expert that I bought used and blinged it up with a Charge Spoon saddle, oil slick stem and new Tektro linear pull brakes. I stripped the horribly rashed paint and the frame is still raw aluminum. The 48 spoke wheels are indestructible. I swapped the tires out last week.

There's a lot to be said for indestructible with style, especially when you are young and strong.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 09-01-22, 09:14 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 539 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
There's a lot to be said for indestructible with style, especially when you are young and strong.
I would have given an organ for something more noble than my lowly Mongoose ~1980. Then again, I don’t think I broke a single part on that bike and I was very rough with it. Something to be said for that.
Old 09-02-22, 11:26 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 780 Posts
to follow up: for those interested in my "homebrew" aluminum tape chainstay guards, I have started making a couple and recording the process (taking pix).

I will also snap pix of any examples I have of frames with guards installed (but most have been sold off).

When it's ready I will start a new thread and update with a link to it, in this thread.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 09-06-22, 03:37 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 780 Posts
By "popular demand" here's a link to a thread I just made for step-by-step instructional to make your own DIY ALU tape (HVAC) chain stay protectors.
"So easy even a child can make one"
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post22638511

here's one in the wild!