Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

DIY chain stay protectors ALU foil tape, a step-by-step

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-22, 03:24 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 783 Posts

Some folks expressed interest when I mentioned that I stooped to making my own "homebrew" substitute chain stay protecteors, to fill the void left since nobody sells the Classic/Vintage thick stainless steel PSA jobs we recall from BITD.
I have a step-by-step with this thread so you can make your own from adhesive aluminum foil tape (know as HVAC tape in the trade) just as I do.
These are so simple a child can do it, as long as such a child can handle an Xacto style knife and scissors.
The tape produces a reasonable facsimile to the original SS items, and you have the advantage of making them larger or smaller to best fit YOUR chainstays...BUT the material is not as shiny or as durable!
For more durability I have double-layered these but even then it's a much softer and thinner metal, no way around that fact.

Let's start: I have a few rolls of HVAC tape, I find it varies slightly in thickness so if you have a choice go for some that's 4-mil rather than 3.4 to 3.6-mil.
I see that there's a "Reinforced HVAC" tape with fiberglass strands embedded, I have not used any but it MIGHT be a more durable material.
The stuff I have is (nominally) 2" wide with a peel-off carrier backing paper and strong Pressure Sensitive Adhesive (PSA) under that backing.

for this demo I used a Stay Tuff plastic item for my template, below is a roll of the 2" 4-mil HVAC tape

taped to a cutting board, Stay Tuff aligned with one edge, you can get 2 out of one 2" wide piece, so why not?

one traced with a Sharpie, the ink wipes off later with any alcohol

second traced.

both cut with ruler/straight edge and Xacto knife, but rounded ends not yet cut...

...cause I cut the curves with scissors, easier to control

Here's the chain stay on a Univega for this demo, it's cleaned with alcohol but paint is chipped so final result will not be ideally smooth

backing paper peeled off and lined up on the stay, only the center of the tape is stuck down at first. I smooth that strip with any smooth plastic tool at hand, ideal tool is a "bone folder" but for this I used a paint brush handle

then work the rest of the tape down I do the top edge from center outward, then the bottom edge, to minimize getting wrinkles; smooth and "burnish" with the tool

final results: it's not as smooth as stainless since any irregularity under the tape will show, but...da ya go!

Last edited by unworthy1; 09-06-22 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-06-22, 06:34 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Good job!

I've often wondered (and I am a complete biking novice) if applying a thin layer of rubber cement in that location would work as well.

Would/could it? I'm no weight weenie.
Old 09-06-22, 07:21 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer
Good job!

I've often wondered (and I am a complete biking novice) if applying a thin layer of rubber cement in that location would work as well.

Would/could it? I'm no weight weenie.
Dunno but it sure might attract road dirt or other flotsam & jetsam ?!?
Old 09-06-22, 07:59 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Still a few around.

​​​​​​https://defietsenmaker.nl/product/ca...num-one-piece/

​​​​​​https://defietsenmaker.nl/product/ch...m-the-mid-80s/
Old 09-06-22, 08:42 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I bought one from him via eBay a couple of years back. It's an excellent product.
Old 09-07-22, 01:05 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
I need such a nice chainstay protector, but with the letters

Y o u r B I k e S u c k s

and since I'm not as fast as I used to be, make that one for the left chainstay, too.
Old 09-07-22, 11:03 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Originally Posted by dedhed
Thanks for finding them, of these 2 the bottom link goes to NOS Minoura items that are genuine stainless steel, the top link is for aluminum new products, which I believe are made in China and have seen them with several brands/logos but never bought any cause: aluminum.
I already have that (albeit much thinner)
I also sincerely doubt that Campagnolo gave a license for use of their brand on these, but it's not any of my business. I should add I have no proof just my suspicion cause I found many similar examples years back from Chinese vendors (AliExpess and such) that were identical aside from the different embossed brands/logos
My only caveat re: the Minouras would be if the PSA is still good after nearly 40 years storage, but if it's dried out there are many double-stick tapes and films available to fix that.
Thanks again.

Last edited by unworthy1; 09-07-22 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-07-22, 12:25 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

one more pic:

another recent example with a cleaner chain stay that came out a little smoother
Old 09-07-22, 04:55 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
In case you did not know, what you have there is the REAL DEAL. It's The one, The only, the BEST, The original,...DUCT Tape.
Old 09-07-22, 05:57 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Etymology (& purity of language) alert: It's not "duct tape" but "duck tape" properly. Any HVAC contractor who knows anything at all wouldn't use "duck tape" for ducts, though I imagine that's how the usage was corrupted.

EDIT: to stay on topic, please note that stainless steel tape (4 mil) is indeed a thing -- https://www.mcmaster.com/tape/stainl...eel-foil-tape/
About a buck-fifty a foot for 1" wide. Stainless is of course a lot harder than aluminum, so I don't know how "cuttable" it is.

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 09-07-22 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-07-22, 06:45 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
In case you did not know, what you have there is the REAL DEAL. It's The one, The only, the BEST, The original,...DUCT Tape.
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Etymology (& purity of language) alert: It's not "duct tape" but "duck tape" properly. Any HVAC contractor who knows anything at all wouldn't use "duck tape" for ducts, though I imagine that's how the usage was corrupted.
Well, it's one of those cases where you're both likely correct. According to the Oxford English Dictionary:

Old 09-07-22, 09:33 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
EDIT: to stay on topic, please note that stainless steel tape (4 mil) is indeed a thing -- https://www.mcmaster.com/tape/stainl...eel-foil-tape/
About a buck-fifty a foot for 1" wide. Stainless is of course a lot harder than aluminum, so I don't know how "cuttable" it is.
well I don't know how I missed that cause I am trolling the McMaster site often, but I will have to take the plunge and try some SS tape.
ANYthing can be cut with the proper blade, IMO.
Old 09-08-22, 01:38 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
We used to call it 100 mile an hour tape because it was so sticky . I recently bought some from a refrigeration guy to use when I replaced the cooling unit on my refrigerator for my motor home . It is what is used on ducting not the cloth type tape. I had some ducting put in at my shop for my dust collector (grind shop) and they used the aluminum type not the cloth stuff.
Old 09-08-22, 07:26 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
ANYthing can be cut with the proper blade, IMO.
You can milk anything with nipples.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-08-22, 12:30 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I made a chainstay protector with fiberglas reinforced HVAC tape some years ago. It works great, but it isn't pretty - you can see the netting.
Likes For dweenk:
Old 09-08-22, 10:29 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Originally Posted by dweenk
I made a chainstay protector with fiberglas reinforced HVAC tape some years ago. It works great, but it isn't pretty - you can see the netting.
Got a pic of this?
Old 09-09-22, 09:31 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
Got a pic of this?
I sold that bike some time ago, but here is a photo of the type of tape used.

Likes For dweenk:
Old 09-09-22, 10:27 AM
CanCruiser

Bikes: Univega Alpina 570- Sekine SHB 271

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
That's a great idea.. Thanks for sharing/posting..
On my Univega, the PO wrapped some ugly black electrical tape that is an eyesore but now I have an alternative to try.. Thanks..
Old 09-09-22, 10:48 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,191 Posts
That HVAC tape might actually look "right" on the right kind of rough & ready frame, like a Diamond Back Overdrive Comp, et al.