Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

No Schrader to Presta adaptor

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-24-22, 12:31 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts

The rim on my rear wheel started cracking apart, so I got a new wheel. Unfortunately the new wheel is drilled for Schrader valve stems instead of the Presta stems which I use. I know they make adapters to fit in the holes, but I won't be able to get back to the bike shop for a while. So what I did was screw one of the flat Presta nuts all the way down on the stem before inserting it through the hole, then another one on the outside like normal. Is there any issue in doing this, if even temporarily? I think this is a better solution than not putting anything on the inside part of the stem. I run 90 PSI in my tires so I would be afraid the stems would blow out if I didn't have anything holding them back.
Old 09-24-22, 12:33 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 724 Posts
Then have them delivered to your door.

https://www.amazon.com/Quad-Wheels-M...-23&th=1&psc=1

Or rubber grommet style: https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Schrader...%3D%3D&sr=8-21
Likes For phughes:
Old 09-24-22, 12:40 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
So what I did was screw one of the flat Presta nuts all the way down on the stem before inserting it through the hole, then another one on the outside like normal. Is there any issue in doing this, if even temporarily? I think this is a better solution than not putting anything on the inside part of the stem. I run 90 PSI in my tires so I would be afraid the stems would blow out if I didn't have anything holding them back.
No issues. They were actually designed with the collar for just this purpose, and you actually only need one on the outside of the rim. As mentioned above you can order Schrader hole adapters for cheap if you like that solution better. I like the rubber ones better as they offer a little more protection against cutting the base of the valve stem.
Old 09-24-22, 01:51 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 141 Posts
Continental presta tubes have a shoulder on the locknut that sits in a Schrader hole to secure the presta valve.
Likes For dmark:
Old 09-24-22, 01:56 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
A short piece of thick heat shrink [marine grade] is what I did for a rim I used in the past. I pre-installed the spare tubes I carried once I found the ideal length needed.
Old 09-24-22, 02:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
We used to use thin washers bent to the curvature of the rim. That was before the narrow center channels. Now I'd probably do the same, then grind flats on the sides of the washers so they fit in the channel. (I never did this. I was a sewup only guy.)
Old 09-24-22, 03:11 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
Originally Posted by dmark
Continental presta tubes have a shoulder on the locknut that sits in a Schrader hole to secure the presta valve.
I have had them on some Kenda tubes as well. I save them as I come across them for using on Schrader rims.

The rim on my rear wheel started cracking apart, so I got a new wheel. Unfortunately the new wheel is drilled for Schrader valve stems instead of the Presta stems which I use. I know they make adapters to fit in the holes, but I won't be able to get back to the bike shop for a while. So what I did was screw one of the flat Presta nuts all the way down on the stem before inserting it through the hole, then another one on the outside like normal. Is there any issue in doing this, if even temporarily? I think this is a better solution than not putting anything on the inside part of the stem. I run 90 PSI in my tires so I would be afraid the stems would blow out if I didn't have anything holding them back.
Look around on your other bikes, you may have one of the shouldered nuts on one of them you can use unless you don't use the nuts on your Presta tubes.

Old 09-24-22, 05:02 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
Or don't worry about it. My wife's bike has had Presta tubes in Schrader rims for decades without an issue, with high pressure road tires.
Old 09-24-22, 06:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Or don't worry about it. My wife's bike has had Presta tubes in Schrader rims for decades without an issue, with high pressure road tires.
This, unless one is really bad at attaching and removing the pump valve chuck on and off the valve. Then the added support of the valve stem might reduce a valve base issue which would be caused by the wagging or twisting that some do when dealing with a pump chuck. But once aired up the PV in a SV hole needs no added support during riding. Andy
Old 09-24-22, 06:16 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
So what I did was screw one of the flat Presta nuts all the way down on the stem before inserting it through the hole, then another one on the outside like normal.
Bad idea, if the flat Presta nut prevents the rubber at the bottom of the valve stem from sitting flush on the rim's inner surface. The inflated tube will try to fill that gap, possibly stretching the rubber thin enough to fail.

You can pick up various diameters of rubber grommets for electrical wiring at almost any hardware store. Chances are you can find a size that fits the rim and valve perfectly.
Old 09-26-22, 06:16 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes

Or, even better, shouldered presta nuts. I find them easier to use than any other grommet.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-26-22, 06:41 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I have had them on some Kenda tubes as well. I save them as I come across them for using on Schrader rims.

Look around on your other bikes, you may have one of the shouldered nuts on one of them you can use unless you don't use the nuts on your Presta tubes.
This is what to look for:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
conti-stem-nuts.jpg (640.7 KB, 75 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-26-22, 07:53 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I've been doing this for years, albeit inadvertently. Wore out a rim, rebuilt the wheel with a new one, and didn't notice the new rim was drilled for Shrader. If I'd noticed, I'd have put on a rubber bushing, or cut a hole in the middle of a 1" square of old inner tube. But it's working fine, so if it ain't broke, why fix it?
Old 09-26-22, 10:49 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
drill a new port for the presta valve in the rim somewhere else?
Old 09-26-22, 11:06 AM
flanso 

Bikes: Gunnar Sport 105/UDi2, previous: Lambert, Giant FCR3, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp UDi2

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
The Continental presta valve tubes that I bought from Amazon came with shouldered presta nuts.
Old 09-26-22, 11:07 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Bad idea, if the flat Presta nut prevents the rubber at the bottom of the valve stem from sitting flush on the rim's inner surface. The inflated tube will try to fill that gap, possibly stretching the rubber thin enough to fail.
Some 40 years ago I had some Wolber tubes where the presta valve was held onto the rubber tube by a screwed-down nut, rather than being vulcanized/bonded onto the rubber. They would work for a bit, but eventually all became self-flatting as the rubber stressed around the nut.
Old 09-26-22, 01:56 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
So what I did was screw one of the flat Presta nuts all the way down on the stem before inserting it through the hole, then another one on the outside like normal. Is there any issue in doing this, if even temporarily? I think this is a better solution than not putting anything on the inside part of the stem. I run 90 PSI in my tires so I would be afraid the stems would blow out if I didn't have anything holding them back.
My first option would be to use the presta valve in the Shrader hole with no nuts. Chances are good it'll work fine and last long time.
Second option would be to use a nut or washer. Chances are you don't need it... but depends on rim/tube matchup.
If you don't have a rim-cuts-the-valve problem, the grommet won't solve anything.

I ran this setup for years - no problems except some water inside the rim during the puddle season.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 09-26-22 at 02:00 PM.