Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

MTB Tire pressure and inserts/protectors

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-22, 07:38 PM
XTR

Bikes: Cannondale Delta V 2000, C-dale SuperV Active, Bridgestone RB-1, Colnago Master, Izalco Pro 4.0, Carbon Superfly 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I've ridden for a long time, raced MTBs a lot back in the 90s, and one problem I've always faced was tire pressure in a MTB. I'm 6'3"+ and even in my leanest when I was racing I weighed 193 in shorts, 200+ with a camel back and shoes. (these days it's about 210 in shorts) I've always had to run max pressures to try to keep from getting pinch flats and/or bending rim beads on rocks. My newest MTB is a full Carbon 2013 Firefly 100 full suspension 29er, so I'm limited to about 2.6 on tire sizes so even running tubeless I was running 35psi or so.

Over the last winter I installed a set of Tannus Armour inserts and OMG, it's like I've got a new bike. I ride in New England, it's a bone yard of rocks up here. It took me a while to get the confidence lowering pressure but as of now I'm running between 20 and 25 PSI. They are a PITA to get installed, but once they're in the work.

I've read the comments from the mountain bike experts that talk about losing some suppleness, or feel. Well, there isn't much of either at 40psi, my grip on sketchy climbs is better now than I've ever had. These things are the biggest change in feel to my riding since I got my first full suspension 25 yrs ago..

If you're a bigger rider I strongly recommend the inserts in tubeless setups.
Likes For XTR: