Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

90's Marin gravel conversion project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-22, 08:46 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts

Pretty easy project for the most part, but hopw far i go with it depends a ton on the test ride

Just dug a neglected MArin MTB (1995 Eldridge Grade ) out of the attic --- bike uses a very light Tange Prestige tubeset

I would have posted this in the Gravel area of the forum, but this is such a general purpose bicycle concept -- it kinda' covers a lot of genre's

The pics reveal that the cables dont really work with the big Jones' bars and -- while i am not trying to cheap out - i really didnt want to mess with them yet as i just wanted to mock it up enough to get in a few miles and see if this concept is going to be valid for me -- but i suppose i can disconnect the front brake and ride it as a single speed for that purpose
I have an XTR 1x11 drivetrain (minus crank) in a box ready to go if its a fun ride , along with some fatter 2" slicks to replace the skinny's . But even with the stem riser/adapter, the bars arent quite up to the level i wanted them to be
The White crankset is cute and i would love to retain it as a 1x , but it squeaks like crazy

anyway - i'll update this as i go along - and the bike is so pretty, i really hope it works out

But pic as removed from aforementioned attic - parallax makes the handlebars look oddly huge

And a pic after some cleanup and installation of the Jones bars

The Jones bars actually ARE huge in scale on the 26" bike - it remains to be seen how its going to ride, but obviously, i'm going to have to work in some longer cables -- the bars have proven to be comfortable and effective on one of my more modern MTB's , but for me were a handful in sketchy downhill riding, so i am hoping this application is more fitting for them

The brakes are Tektro's from what i have heard, but are a nice mid 90's touch

Last edited by DMC707; 09-30-22 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-30-22, 08:59 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Very nice. I'm a big fan of old MTBs and they make fine all around bikes. It's as if they were made to ride on gravel roads, . It's hard to go wrong with a quality frame built with Tange prestige tubing. Personally I like drop bar conversions, butterfly bars, or Ergon grips when making MTBs more road worthy. The Jones bar looks cool though.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-01-22, 10:21 AM
daywood 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 96 Posts
Looks like a fun project. I would think the squeaking crankset would be from the bottom bracket and would try lubing it it’s a loose bearing type or replacing it if it’s a cartridge.

Last edited by daywood; 10-01-22 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Typo
Likes For daywood:
Old 10-01-22, 11:29 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by daywood
Looks like a fun project. I would think the squeaking crankset would be from the bottom bracket and would try lubing it it’s a loose bearing type or replacing it if it’s a cartridge.
its a cartridge type. Been a squeaker since day 1 almost - im the original owner. But worth a bit of fiddling with if I could retain the crank