Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New Build - Flat Bars or Drops?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New Build - Flat Bars or Drops?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-22, 08:37 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I am in the camp that does not like flat bars on a road bike, due to being uncomfortable after riding for not that long. However, as I age, and due to chronic spinal issues, I have to do do a lot of adjusting of my contact points. A few weeks ago, after a bit of hesitation, I decided to try the Ritchey Beacon bar, with them being on sale a factor. I have to say, I have quickly acquired a strong fondness for this handlebar. The shallow drop and short reach, the width, shape and ergonomics just plain work very well for me. As I write this post, I am anticipating a today delivery of another one for my Soma Smoothie. I actually really like the looks of it on the bike. It gives easy access to shifting and braking, a lot of different hand positions, and very little movement for all of those things. The angle of the STI levers mounted on the bar take my arthritic thumbs mostly out of the equation.

https://www.excelsports.com/ritchey-...lloy-handlebar

Here is a pic of the Beacon. Ritchey also has a Butano bar that looks interesting.
And UPS just dropped off my 2nd Beacon bar. I will have them mounted and used by tomorrow morning.
I had the Ritchey Beacon 46cm and I recently got the XL (52cm). I think these highly flared, short reach, shallow drop kind of handlebars are the bees' knees. It's basically a like traditional drop bar and a moustache bar had a baby.

Last edited by tyrion; 10-01-22 at 08:52 PM. Reason: typo
Likes For tyrion: