Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

One of those "what a jerk" mornings :(

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

One of those "what a jerk" mornings :(

Old 10-10-22, 09:45 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26246 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
Old 10-10-22, 09:57 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Never once, when overtaking a slower motor vehicle, has the notion occurred to me that they were occupying "my" space. I bet it's never happened to the OP, either. Funny and sad, then, that you take the person out of a motor vehicle and put them on a bicycle and they're knocked down a peg or five; I guess that the OP, and others like them, respect inanimate objects more than human beings.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-10-22, 10:17 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 328 Posts
What about shouting “lights” to a driver without their lights on makes someone an a-hole? I consider this a polite way to let someone know their lights aren’t on.
Old 10-10-22, 10:25 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by stephr1
I was on one of those streets that wasn't a main street but wasn't really residential. It does get a bit of traffic at times during the day but this morning was fairly quiet.

As I closed in on him I beeped (not lay on the horn for 10 secs.) to let him know I was coming ....
I bet most likely he heard you coming long before you honked at him. Unless of course the crashing of the surf on the beach or the moaning of the Fentynal addicts makes too much of a din to hear.
Old 10-10-22, 01:16 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
2. I could also see that the bike lane was clear of debris and he had no reason to be in the middle of the road other than by choice.
No you didn't. That's a lie that inside a vehicle at 30+ mph you could see the exact same debris situation in their bike lane across and over the hood of your passenger side of the car, unless you're driving a British made right hand drive car in the US on the right hand side of the road. So you're lying to bolster your stance.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-10-22, 02:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,287 Times in 7,226 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
No you didn't. That's a lie that inside a vehicle at 30+ mph you could see the exact same debris situation in their bike lane across and over the hood of your passenger side of the car, unless you're driving a British made right hand drive car in the US on the right hand side of the road. So you're lying to bolster your stance.
You mean you can’t see shards of glass or similar debris in that situation without your headlights on? I thought everyone can.

OP needs to work on his story fabrication.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-10-22, 03:08 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,872 Times in 4,637 Posts
OP has a history of whining about other road and trail users.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-10-22, 03:33 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,287 Times in 7,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
OP has a history of whining about other road and trail users.
I remember those. Post like a Pirate Day. That was a good one, if I must say so myself.

He sounds like a one-trick pony.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-10-22, 04:02 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,153 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You mean you can’t see shards of glass or similar debris in that situation without your headlights on? I thought everyone can.

OP needs to work on his story fabrication.
Yep. My colleaugues in 'creative writing' (re. 'creative non-fiction') would agree. The premise in the op is silly, to put it charitably, absent the existence of some sort of law/regulation in CA/county of San Jose that requires cyclists to ride in a "bike lane" where one is provided.

I particularly enjoyed the notion that the only justification for a cyclist's riding in the "car lane" would be the anticipation of a left-turn.
Likes For badger1:
Old 10-10-22, 05:41 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,872 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Yep. My colleaugues in 'creative writing' (re. 'creative non-fiction') would agree. The premise in the op is silly, to put it charitably, absent the existence of some sort of law/regulation in CA/county of San Jose that requires cyclists to ride in a "bike lane" where one is provided.

I particularly enjoyed the notion that the only justification for a cyclist's riding in the "car lane" would be the anticipation of a left-turn.
I think "creative non-fiction" is otherwise known as "Bull****ing." Which is certainly what the OP is doing.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-10-22, 06:45 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
It was about 7:30AM and, while the sun was up, it was still a little dusky because of the overcast (SF Bay Area in the fall). Some cars had their headlights on, others did not. Some of the street lights were on, others not. I did not have my lights on because it was light enough to see things just fine.
Your lights help others see you .... first sign of selfishness.
I'm driving along said street which is single lane on each side with matching bike lanes. I look ahead and see a guy on a road bike going my direction and he seems to be more in the road than the bike lane.
As is his right.
As I closed in on him I beeped (not lay on the horn for 10 secs.) to let him know I was coming so he would make sure to stay in the bike lane
Butthole move, and if you are a cyclist you should know this
(there were no left turns coming up so he had no reason to be in the car lane).
In Youerr Opinion there was no need for him to ride outside the bike lane. Maybe he had reasons you didn't see (anything from debris to not wanting to get passed by pushy drivers at cvertain points on the road, to whatever.

He moved back into the bike lane (he had started to drift back into the main road, so I slowed down and tried not to crowd him). As I went by him, rather than give me a "thanks" wave for letting him know, he yelled at me: "Lights!".
See above comment about how you drive with your lights on so others can see you. You are a in a car driving in admittedly low-light conditions---This Is Why Cars have Lights. You could have blended into the background---or maybe he heard you coming, and felt that he was riding in a safe and sensible manner, and that if you wanted to pass and could do so safely while allowing him the requisite three feet, you should do so without sounding your horn
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-10-22, 07:04 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

2. I could also see that the bike lane was clear of debris and he had no reason to be in the middle of the road other than by choice.
his choice to make:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...21202.DIVISION 11. RULES OF THE ROAD [21000 - 23336] ( Division 11 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

CHAPTER 1. Obedience to and Effect of Traffic Laws [21000 - 21300] ( Chapter 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )
ARTICLE 4. Operation of Bicycles [21200 - 21213] ( Article 4 added by Stats. 1963, Ch. 479. )
(a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:
(1) When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.
(2) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(3) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes) that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge, subject to the provisions of Section 21656. For purposes of this section, a “substandard width lane” is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.
(4) When approaching a place where a right turn is authorized.
(b) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway of a highway, which highway carries traffic in one direction only and has two or more marked traffic lanes, may ride as near the left-hand curb or edge of that roadway as practicable.
(Amended by Stats. 1996, Ch. 674, Sec. 4. Effective January 1, 1997.)

The cyclist determines what is the best distance to ride from the side of the road,. depending on conditions. At no point does it say the cyclist is restricted to the bike lane. And while you claim that you can see over 100 feet ahead on an overcast morning and see any conceivable roadside hazards, we all know you are lying, and if you actually ride a bike, you know it too.
3. As I got within a 100 ft. of him, that was the point he moved back into the road ahead of me. I slowed down and hit my horn to remind him I was still there and he kindly (or so I thought that would be his reaction) moved back into his lane and remained there.
Do you honk at cars as you plan to pass? If you actually ride a bike you know that cyclists can hear cars well before the cars are close enough to be threats .... he certainly wasn't unaware of you unless you were far enough back that you didn't need to bother warning him. If you were doing around 30 mph, that's about 45 feet per second .... so you both had a couple seconds before you would actually be overtaking.

4. Once he did that, I passed by under the speed limit (30 MPH) just in case he decided to disrespect my space again.
You Do Not have a "Space" which he is obliged to respect. He has a space YOU are obliged to respect. As the overtaking vehicle it is up to You to make the maneuver in a safe fashion. if he wants to ride right down the middle of the lane, he can, and if you cannot pass by using the other lane, you have to wait. it is the Law. Sorry for you.

Funny, I have been driving since I was 16, and even though I was car free for half my adult life, I still had a license and drove from time to time. In the past 20 years I have owned a car and driven regularly, and ridden regularly too. I have never needed to honk at a driver or a cyclist.

Buy then, I am not out looking to "defend my space" from cyclists or anyone else. I am just another road user and we are all trying to get wherever we want or need to be.

How big is the trunk of your car? Can you fit groceries and stuff along with that gigantic sense of entitlement?

(Just kidding, but you don't want to hear anything but praise, and no one can change your mind .... because you didn't come here to discuss. Top me, you are exactly who you claim to be, the entitled guy in the car who thinks he should have control of the road. You are the problem, friend.

Last edited by cb400bill; 10-12-22 at 08:18 AM.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-10-22, 07:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Never once, when overtaking a slower motor vehicle, has the notion occurred to me that they were occupying "my" space. I bet it's never happened to the OP, either. Funny and sad, then, that you take the person out of a motor vehicle and put them on a bicycle and they're knocked down a peg or five; I guess that the OP, and others like them, respect inanimate objects more than human beings.
Of course you didn't because you recognized the fact that is actually my personal space. Also cars are clearly deserving of more respect than humans, What human has built in AM/FM stereo, 5 CD changer and heated seats? Exactly, humans are clearly inferior!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-10-22, 08:00 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
These bashing other cyclists threads just don't go well do they?

Old 10-10-22, 08:07 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
These bashing other cyclists threads just don't go well do they?
like Chinese food & chocolate pudding, cocaine & waffles, peanut butter & ladies, not jelly.
Old 10-10-22, 09:17 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
let me guess, your car is silver or champagne colored and driving on an overcast day...tough to pick out on the side view mirrors on the freeway...much less with a quick backwards glance from a cyclist. help us help you.
lights on at all times regardless. can't tell you how many times it has made the difference with driving or cycling. a little safety goes a looong ways. regardless of the color of your chariot, thank you.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 10-10-22, 09:23 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26246 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
Old 10-10-22, 11:43 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
What about shouting “lights” to a driver without their lights on makes someone an a-hole? I consider this a polite way to let someone know their lights aren’t on.
the utterly ludicrous part of this is that shouting "lights" makes you a jerk but HONKING at a cyclist makes you ... a respectful, responsible driver? the mind boggles.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 10-11-22, 04:58 AM
Maelochs

Basically, as you realize now that there may have been better ways to handle the situation. No need to feel bad about it …. and you do feel bad, your feelings are a little hurt because the cyclist came back at you with venom and in your mind, your intent was in no way venomous.

What we have here is Failure to Communicate.

And you opened the communication by honking. Easy solution, just don’t do that. Think of how the message might be received, not how you might have intended it.

But otherwise …. Vicissitudes of life. Stuff happens. No big deal. You are fine, so is the cyclist. Let it go. Onward, into the fog!
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-11-22, 06:34 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
let me guess, your car is silver or champagne colored and driving on an overcast day...tough to pick out on the side view mirrors on the freeway...much less with a quick backwards glance from a cyclist. help us help you.
lights on at all times regardless. can't tell you how many times it has made the difference with driving or cycling. a little safety goes a looong ways.
Ugh - one thing that really bugs me is when people with light colored vehicles - white, silvery, or gray, etc - don't turn on their lights in a light rain, particularly on the freeway; they absolutely disappear in to the tire spray, "....but I don't need my lights on to see anything!"
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-11-22, 07:41 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Ugh - one thing that really bugs me is when people with light colored vehicles - white, silvery, or gray, etc - don't turn on their lights in a light rain, particularly on the freeway; they absolutely disappear in to the tire spray, "....but I don't need my lights on to see anything!"
I find that a vehicle with poorly aimed lights are problematic. unless squirrel hunting is a popular thing nowadays?
Old 10-11-22, 07:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
like Chinese food & chocolate pudding, cocaine & waffles, peanut butter & ladies, not jelly.
Wait Cocaine and Waffles isn't a normal thing that goes together...I mean of course it doesn't...hehe,

I actually do really love Chinese food and chocolate pudding but yes together not so good but there is restaurant I have been to that makes a delicious chocolate mousse pie and some very good Chinese food
Old 10-12-22, 04:59 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Worse, white/grey/silver car in a snow storm when I'm plowing
Likes For dedhed:
Old 10-12-22, 05:52 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
I think we need to give the OP the benefit of the doubt. There's a good possibilty that his story never really happened and in fact, is not an 8sshole.
Old 10-12-22, 06:11 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You came on a cycling forum to bash a cyclist.

This should be fun.
I have no problem criticizing a cyclist if I think it's warranted. I'm not a member of the "Cyclist Team." So, I don't automatically side with someone just because we are both cyclists

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.