Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

problem with Rear Derailleur (at 1 X drivetrain technology)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-22, 02:37 PM
ahmet sezgin
sapiens

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Scott Aspect 10 (mountain bike) with 1 x drivetrain technology. I have an odd problem. When I pedal backwards there is a kind of thudding noise (pat pat pat). Sometimes when i pedal backwards it even shifts gear (without I touching the shifter). Is it something normal in 1 x drivetrain technology? Or does it tell me that there is problem about the adjustment of the Rear Derailleur?

Last edited by ahmet sezgin; 10-16-22 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-16-22, 03:56 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I'll bet it only happens on the small cogs and the large cogs, not in the middle right? Take a look at your bike. Where is the rear derailleur? Below the cassette where it can do it's job and guide the chain on to the proper cog when pedaling forward, right? Do you see a derailleur above the cassette? Nope. That's why this happens. As cassettes have gained gears and cogs have gotten bigger the problem has become noticeable and gotten worse. To answer your question, no...there is no adjustment for that. How could there be w/ the derailleur below the cassette?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-16-22, 04:10 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
When back pedaling there can be some rear der movement, or rotation towards the front ring. The cage slightly rotates clockwise to take up thus chain slack. The guide pulley becomes closer to the cassette's undersides and sometimes come into contact with the cog teeth. This is called "pulley knock". If your der has a "B" screw adjuster it could be run inwards a bit to further rock the der back and increase the guide pulley/cog gap.

Is this what's going on? We don't know. Andy
Old 10-16-22, 04:14 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
To add to cxwrench

What you are experiencing is a result of the angle the chain must take from the extreme ends of the cassette to the chainring.

Cassette cogs have both gotten bigger (42, 46, 50, & maybe even bigger ) & smaller (9,10) in recent years. The cassettes themselves have also gotten wider as well since designers realized that the large cogs have more room on account of the spokes are at an angle so have packed in even more cogs.

Combine both of those 2 factors with chainstays that are not necessarily any longer & the result is the chain rides a greater angle than drivetrains of yore; An angle steep enough to cause derailment.

Rotating in the forward direction, the derailleur handles the cassette & narrow/wide tooth profiles handle the chainring. Rotating backwards neither feature is engaged & you have the behavior you observe.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's the result of engineering compromises to achieve 1x simplicity & massive ratio changes with a simple thumb sweep at the shifter.

2x will exhibit similar behavior when cross chained, too. The solution: Don't pedal backwards.

Last edited by base2; 10-16-22 at 04:21 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 10-16-22, 04:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Agree with the above.

Short answer is it's normal and falls under the "nature of the beast" category.

The fix is simple ---- avoid backpedaling in the problem gears.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY: