Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New hubs/axle after cold set from 120 to 126?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-22, 05:10 AM
Sorin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts

Hello guys, i am in the process of restauration of a Peugeot bike with 120mm OLD . I just have buy a Suntour 13-26 freewheel and from my infos i need 126mm to fit it.

So i want to cold set my frame but after this i think i need some new other parts : wheels are Mavic with Normandy high flange hubs and i have Simplex QR . Axle measure 132mm and QR 155mm as this :

I think i need a new 140mm axle and maybe cut a little(2mm) or use it as it is and 2x3mm spacers mounted each side between cones and lock nut. I am right? Can i use same QR or is dangerous? Regards , Sorin.
Any imput will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-19-22, 08:37 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
First- Have you test fitted the fw onto the hub yet? This fw looks to be an ultra six, if so they are only a mm or two wider than a 5 cog one and might clear the stay end as is.

If you do the spreading and an axle replacement only add enough spacers to the drive side to allow for cog/stay clearance. Any more spacers needed to fit the new dropout width can be added to the non drive side. This will reduce both the redishing amount and better balance the bending forces acting on the axle, slightly. I would assume that some axle end trimming might be needed, not hard to do.

You will want the QR skewer to engage the adjusting nut by at least 5 threads. This should be easy to do the math for. Andy
Old 10-19-22, 10:01 AM
Sorin

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
First- Have you test fitted the fw onto the hub yet? This fw looks to be an ultra six, if so they are only a mm or two wider than a 5 cog one and might clear the stay end as is.

If you do the spreading and an axle replacement only add enough spacers to the drive side to allow for cog/stay clearance. Any more spacers needed to fit the new dropout width can be added to the non drive side. This will reduce both the redishing amount and better balance the bending forces acting on the axle, slightly. I would assume that some axle end trimming might be needed, not hard to do.

You will want the QR skewer to engage the adjusting nut by at least 5 threads. This should be easy to do the math for. Andy
Thank you Andrew R Stewart , i din not receive it yet, just trying to plan a little in advance to see how should i sort this thing and what parts to order . Although from what i read an ultra 6 is about 26mm and not 31...idk. I am glad it will work in some way or another Can't wait to ride it !
Old 10-19-22, 12:52 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Even if the new freewheel is a standard spaced 6-speed and requires a 126mm OLD, you can most likely keep the current 132mm axle. Add the needed 6mm of spacers (most or all on the non-drive side) and recenter/redish the rim. The standard 126mm old axle is 137mm long giving 5.5 mm of axle protrusion at each end. Using your axle will leave 3mm axle exposure at each end which is plenty to retain it in the dropouts. See Sheldon Brown's website for confirmation of this approach.

If your new freewheel is indeed an Ultra-6, no alteration of the hub should be needed.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 10-19-22, 01:00 PM
Sorin

Thanks, i don't mind to buy a new axle, is just like 10-15$ at most , more important for me is to use those Simplex QR to keep originality but the most important is safety. Here, in Europe, these old/vintage freewheels are so rare, and that 6 speed was the best i could find in like 3 weeks. Cheers Sorin.