Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

PSA: "Bike paths" (that are shared with pedestrians) are dangerous.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

PSA: "Bike paths" (that are shared with pedestrians) are dangerous.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 05:27 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
In Alaska, the engineers designed & built the MUPs 10- 20' off the road & then bring them
to the road shoulder at every intersection. (Guessing they are not bike riders & dislikes cyclist )
I ride the MUPs that have little use with few intersections, & have learned where I need to
ride the road shoulder

One big problem is if the MUP is on the Left side of the road, Drivers at intersections
turning Right.. never look right.( Staring Left, waiting for a traffic opening)
Been almost taken out a few times , now I only ride MUPS that are on the right,
(road shoulders on the right are much safer, drivers at least see me).

The only maintenance is they get swept once in Spring , usually in April.
ATV not allow to ride on them, so they ride alongside & kick up lots gravel, gravel is rocks at some intersections.
Tree roots are growing under them & so bad in some areas are like riding cobble.
Most arte full of cracks filled with weeds, grass & tree sprouts, crack are getting wider every year.
Some have brush overhanging, the sides that they are one lane.
Federal $$ was used to build them, no State/Federal money budgeted to maintain them

IMO, find routes with decent road shoulders, & remote MUPs with no Peds.
you'll be safer & have a smoother ride

As you ride, You'll learn that some of the MUPs are good.
Use it to your advantage
Get the best of both, ride MUPs where they meet your style, & roads the rest of the time.

Last edited by bogydave; 07-25-18 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-26-18, 02:41 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
SF, it’s actually a nice PSA thread about cycling on MUPs, and I’m glad you posted it.

Funny thing about the timing is, Summer is the safest time to ride the MUPs(in this area). At this time of year, very few people use them during the daylight hours. Yesterday it was 115F(in the shade), and the pavement was 188F. My Garmin said it was 126F @ 3ft above the pavement.

Very few people will take their dog out for a walk in those conditions.
My Mom retired to the Phoenix area. Didn’t really understand why she walked the dog at 5am until I visited in the summer.
Old 07-26-18, 01:31 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62

My Mom retired to the Phoenix area. Didn’t really understand why she walked the dog at 5am until I visited in the summer.
I believe Arizona has not surpassed Florida as the nation's # 1 retirement state. Think of it this way, if she had retired to Florida you'd have a lot more than just the summer heat to content with. You should be thankful.
Old 10-19-22, 10:54 AM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 66 Posts
I understand the original post was directed toward new riders. I can also appreciate that cyclists who want to ride fast and hard are going to avoid MUP's with all the grannies and their little yorkies and pedestrians distracted on their phones.

Personally, I love the MUP as well as the street where there is a ton of congestion of all types. I don't always seek out the outdoor miles-long velodrome where I can cycle unimpeded. It doesn't bother me to occasionally slow down and ride at the pace of pedestrians or even wait a moment at a standstill. That does not irritate me. I like to enjoy my ride and traffic and congestion does not hinder that in any way. That's one of the reasons a bicycle is much better than an automobile in which traffic can be bothersome. For me, a bicycle is not just a slim vehicle with access to additional lanes. It's a completely different experience that is compatible in almost any environment where people move. Skating is pretty cool too. Only pedestrianism is cooler than biking and skating.
Old 10-19-22, 06:29 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Is it cycling season again?
Old 10-19-22, 06:52 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
The site redesign dredged up every bad thread from 2018 and decided it was trending. Don't ask me. But I'm closing them all until we know what's going on.