Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

L'Eroica Gaiole 2022 Check-in! Rain, Hail, Washouts Oh MY

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

L'Eroica Gaiole 2022 Check-in! Rain, Hail, Washouts Oh MY

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-22, 04:21 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by chune
Did you make the cut?
Yes. That mature, yet hip and handsome man, that's me.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 10-20-22, 09:38 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
I really enjoyed this years event - far more than the previous one I attended. I rode both days, while Saturday was a little wet in the morning, once the sun came out, it was great. Sunday was a lot of fun - rode the short route and spent time meeting people and enjoying the countryside.

On Saturday as I was ham fisting one of the Strade Bianchi sections outside of Arezzo, a rider blew by me at the speed of light. Saw that same rider leaving Arezzo - it was Damiano Cunego. Impressive to see how fast a pro rider did it, likely at a relaxed pace.

My Merckx did great - four Eroicas without a flat or mechanical.

Old 10-20-22, 09:58 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

A few more pics

Top of Monte Sante Marie

Curved stay Hetchins

On my way out Sunday

Rental bikes

Better shot of the Hutchins. Owned by a member of London Cicli Artignale

Vintage bus

Berruti Memorial

Joked about this being the sag truck
Old 10-21-22, 03:12 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by Thalia949

I was half expecting to see myself in your pictures, as we've apparently been looking at the same things.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 10-21-22, 07:49 PM
Thalia949

Originally Posted by merziac
Europe and in this case, especially Italians are genuine true believers, its in their blood for what is approaching a Century and a half.

Cycling for them eclipses all of our sporting excess combined and far more of them seriously participate, not just "fans".

That said, I also firmly believe that the supporting vendors, sponsors, businesses and volunteers are all in at a level we can't get to.

We're a footnote in the grand scheme of things, if it weren't for a precious few turning themselves inside out, our currently pathetic version of this would and may become no more.
Very well said merziac . The level of passione is different in Italy about cycling. It shows at this event. Major highways are closed in support. A number of small villages support the participants. People are on the course cheering the riders.

On the roads, no drama with sharing the roads. Participants span a broader demographic.

it makes L’Eroica a very enjoyable event. An event that is more than the ride or the bikes.
Likes For Thalia949:
Old 10-21-22, 07:50 PM
Thalia949

Originally Posted by non-fixie
I was half expecting to see myself in your pictures, as we've apparently been looking at the same things.

You may have been in some pics! Next year we will have to meet!
Likes For Thalia949:
Old 10-24-22, 09:24 AM
Dan Chase

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
Hi Guys, I`m booking in for next years Gaiole L`eroica - I`m going with a couple of buddies - any recommendations on where to stay? Hotel or maybe villa but want to be near the action, Dan.
Old 11-01-22, 08:00 PM
Thalia949

Originally Posted by Dan Chase
Hi Guys, I`m booking in for next years Gaiole L`eroica - I`m going with a couple of buddies - any recommendations on where to stay? Hotel or maybe villa but want to be near the action, Dan.
Gaiole doesn't have a lot of options. The closest Hotel is Castello di Spaltenna. It usually sells out, it is 500 metres from the start. Castello di Meleto is close enough to ride in, maybe 3K, and has rooms and apts. Radda in Chianti has a number of hotels and inns, that is about 6K out.

Hope this helps
Old 11-02-22, 03:46 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Another option in town is the Cavarchino B&B. Lovely, but even harder to get into than the Castello di Spaltenna during that weekend. This year mrs non-fixie and I stayed at the Agriturismo San Sano, and drove and rode to Gaiole.

Old 11-10-22, 07:11 PM
strathconaman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 22 Posts
This event is a bucket list one for me. But let me ask a question.

If I have a mid-80s bike that otherwise meets the technical requirements, but also has s&s couplers, are they going to allow it? Or will the carbonari going to haul me away?
Old 11-10-22, 11:26 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 1,896 Times in 930 Posts
Originally Posted by strathconaman
If I have a mid-80s bike that otherwise meets the technical requirements, but also has s&s couplers, are they going to allow it? Or will the carbonari going to haul me away?
That's a tough one. As the regulations are silent on S&S couplers, they should be OK. However there is the catch all clause; "steel framed bikes of new or recent construction with vintage look and characteristics" - S&S couplers aren't really the look or characteristic of vintage bikes.

But I've never participated, interested to hear what the experts think.

Here's a blog post where someone rode a bike with S&S couplers in L'Eroica: https://web.archive.org/web/20131023...n-for-leroica/

Last edited by P!N20; 11-11-22 at 05:48 AM.
Old 11-11-22, 06:11 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by strathconaman
This event is a bucket list one for me. But let me ask a question.

If the bike looks the part, you're dressed up in your vintage wool jersey and shorts, a nice casquette, and wearing a big smile, they'll be just a happy as you that you're there.

Old 11-11-22, 06:30 AM
strathconaman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
Here's a blog post where someone rode a bike with S&S couplers in L'Eroica: https://web.archive.org/web/20131023...n-for-leroica/
Thanks for the sleuthing.
If they let that saddle bag in, S&S couplers shouldn't be a problem.