Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Just got 1975 Raleigh Competition II - what next!?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-22, 07:17 PM
calebcrosby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hey all, this is my first post here. I picked up a Competition Mark 2 for $140 that seems to be perfect in every way, rides like a dream. As a kid I had a Grand Prix or two and OMG is this smoother and more better! Love this bike. I ride very little bc my son gave me a Mountain Bike and until now I didnt realize what was I was missing- road Raleigh! I was rained in the country in Maine and road everywhere - about 40 mile a day (gotta swim!) and I w/o knowing it was spoiled by decent road bike- Oh what a diff! it's so great to be back!

So I want to doll it up with a couple things, Brooks saddle, a rear rack and something for under the seat. Questions someone here might know about are:

1. I'm 60 and can't ride on the drops all day- is it easy to get lever extensions for brakes? My Grand Prix had them, not sure if I can add just the ext lever or need to replace whole handlebar brake assembly.

2. Can anyone recco a rear wheel rack that has a hinged clamp? I see many w/o it but for ease of use I don't think a clamp can be beat.

3. I need to find a Brooks B17 - if anyone has one they will part with I'm looking.

4. I am curious about an under the seat leather thing - Ive found a couple on ebay, just after any wisdom on carrying junk, iphone will prob go on handlebars, so just junk, cards, cash, headphones

Well thats it- I'm in New Orleans and the riding weather is getting nice - cheers !

Caleb White
Likes For calebcrosby:
Old 10-23-22, 12:46 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
For an "under the seat thing", look here - Jandd

They call it a tire bag nut mine holds a tool kit, a spare tube, a patch kit, tire irons, eyeglasses,... they hold a lot.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 10-23-22 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-23-22, 07:30 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Good Morning. Welcome to the forums

Originally Posted by calebcrosby
Hey all, this is my first post here. I picked up a Competition Mark 2 for $140 that seems to be perfect in every way, rides like a dream. As a kid I had a Grand Prix or two and OMG is this smoother and more better! Love this bike. I ride very little bc my son gave me a Mountain Bike and until now I didnt realize what was I was missing- road Raleigh! I was rained in the country in Maine and road everywhere - about 40 mile a day (gotta swim!) and I w/o knowing it was spoiled by decent road bike- Oh what a diff! it's so great to be back!

So I want to doll it up with a couple things, Brooks saddle, a rear rack and something for under the seat. Questions someone here might know about are:

1. I'm 60 and can't ride on the drops all day- is it easy to get lever extensions for brakes? My Grand Prix had them, not sure if I can add just the ext lever or need to replace whole handlebar brake assembly. Pros don’t ride on the “drops” all day either, no one really does. That is the advantage of drop style bars you have at least 3 positions. Most people ride with their hands on the top portion of the bar or on the “hoods” or brake levers in some fashion. This allows easy access to the brake lever with your index and middle finger and in most conditions that will give you most of the stopping control you need, see pic below

BG continues……. The “safety levers” like on your old Gran Prix were great for slowing down but not that great for actually stopping on a dime. You could change your levers to that style but your overall braking will be effected since the levers are lower quality. A pair of interrupter levers will offer better braking but you’ll still need new levers.

2. Can anyone recco a rear wheel rack that has a hinged clamp? I see many w/o it but for ease of use I don't think a clamp can be beat. unless there has been a huge change in rear racks that I haven’t seen the one I know of is the basic Pletcher rack, but it isn’t all that sturdy, just what do you want to carry?

3. I need to find a Brooks B17 - if anyone has one they will part with I'm looking.
the legendary Brooks B17 is readily available at many brick and mortar shops as well as on line.

4. I am curious about an under the seat leather thing - Ive found a couple on ebay, just after any wisdom on carrying junk, iphone will prob go on handlebars, so just junk, cards, cash, headphones

Well thats it- I'm in New Orleans and the riding weather is getting nice - cheers !

Caleb White
we love photos here! There is a security feature that requires ten post over two days before you can post pics, but if you upload them we can still see them.

Riding the “hoods”.

Interrupter levers. I’ve never used these but I think lots of people like them. It seems to me you need pretty wide bars though.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 10-23-22 at 07:46 AM.
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 10-23-22, 08:26 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Welcome to C&V.

I hear you. When I graduated from bikes like a Grand Prix to a 1978 Super Course about a year into college, THAT was a revelation to me. That bike got stolen from me about a week before I joined the Navy and I didn't get back to cycling until about 2002 when my son was preparing to take a bike trip on the C&O Canal. I got a crappy MTB for that, and then I came across a screaming deal on a 1972 Fuji Finest. It was night and day. Soon afterward, nostalgia caused me to get the same year/model/color Super Course, but when I got it, I had been spoiled by the Finest.

Anyhow, I have a bunch of 70's Raleighs now - among them Competitions (2), an International, an RRA, a Professional Mk I and a Team Pro, and with each of them, the spoiling that was done by that Fuji no longer exists. Frankly, I enjoy the ride of the International the best out of all those, but it's a close call.

Enjoy your new bicycle. Bianchigirl left you some excellent guidance. I've had hinged Pletscher racks before and they worked for carrying a tent and sleeping bag, but they tend to rattle around. A Blackburn or Soma will be a bit more secure and can handle a bit more weight.

Last edited by USAZorro; 10-23-22 at 09:02 AM. Reason: fix typo
Likes For USAZorro:
Old 10-23-22, 08:34 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Interrupter levers. I’ve never used these but I think lots of people like them. It seems to me you need pretty wide bars though.
I installed a pair of these levers on my wife's bike and she loves them.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 10-23-22, 08:44 AM
calebcrosby

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Well I shall begin to post with liberality ! I want to show pics!
Old 10-23-22, 08:46 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Congrats on finally getting the 531 bike. Drops hoods ramps tops—none of us ride the drops all day. I recommend holding off on modifying the cockpit yet. Your body will adjust if you give it time.
Old 10-23-22, 08:46 AM
calebcrosby

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Did not know about IL's but that looks perfect for me. Starting to wonder if might remove and re-wrap the bars and remove the old levers
Old 10-23-22, 08:49 AM
calebcrosby

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I agree its always best to not react but I'm 60, in good shape, play a lot of team tennis but my back will not bend to those drops and the brake reaction delay is not going to work. I live in New orleans and bike 95% on trials but that bloody 5% ....
Old 10-23-22, 09:06 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

I agree its always best to not react but I'm 60, in good shape, play a lot of team tennis but my back will not bend to those drops and the brake reaction delay is not going to work. I live in New orleans and bike 95% on trials but that bloody 5% ....
Sixty - schmixty! I think 60 might be young here.

Playing team tennis is good exercise, I guys I haven’t held a paddle since the battl of the sexes LOL, but you’re using you muscles a different way so give it some time.

in my late 20s early 30s when I first got really serious about riding and trying to race I alway had trouble with my hands going numb. These days I adopted a more upright riding position because of back issues a viola! My hands don’t get numb as much.

There are lots of things that all go together to get the ideal position where you comfortable and relaxed on the bike.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 10-23-22, 09:07 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 415 Posts
Here's your album,
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/26879496

Old 10-23-22, 09:08 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Here's a thing I did with an older Super Course. Others here have done similar many times over. No need to go nuts with 81 speeds like this, but just to illustrate the concept.

Old 10-23-22, 09:09 AM
calebcrosby

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I tried to send 2 pics but it's not letting me so I'm spray posting to reach 10, please suspend judgement ;-)
Old 10-23-22, 09:12 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 415 Posts
I tried to send 2 pics but it's not letting me so I'm spray posting to reach 10, please suspend judgement ;-)
I linked your album above. If you post pics there, we can see them.
With your current brake levers, interrupter levers won't work. That said, I'd change to aero levers and add the interrupter levers.
They are so much better than the old "safety levers". Looking at your picture a bit closer, I think your brake levers once had the "safety levers" and someone removed them. This leaves the brake levers out at a higher angle.

Last edited by daverup; 10-23-22 at 09:18 AM.
Likes For daverup:
Old 10-23-22, 10:05 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts

Here is an example of a set of aero levers on my Limongi which could be used in conjunction with a pair of interrupter levers to provide braking from the bar top. Note that my handlebar height is lower in comparison with saddle height than on your bike. You might also note that the brake levers can be mounted higher on the drop of the bar to bring the levers closer to your hands. I am 72 years old and am able to ride for extended periods on the hoods of my brake levers. Those old "safety levers" you had on your Grand Prix are far inferior than a set of interrupter levers which are even used by professional riders for races like Paris Roubaix where they ride a lot on the bar tops and need really good brakes. I would never put a rack like one of those old Pletchers on your bike, they very often damage the frame where they clamp to the top of the seat stays. They are also not very rigid . I had one on my first road bike and it scraped the paint on my seat stays. Seat bags, are a good solution and are available in sizes with ample storage capacity
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 10-23-22, 10:07 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Welcome to the forums, I turned 66 this fall and have neck and shoulder issues that have me riding upright. I love old 531 raleighs!

Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 10-23-22, 10:18 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

OP’s pic!

that’s a great looking rig. Those Hurret derailleurs are some very nice little bits.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 10-23-22, 10:27 AM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 351 Posts
Your Competition looks to be in great original condition and it’s a beautiful bike! If you switch out the brakes I’d recommend saving the black Carlton lever hoods, they’re getting kind of hard to find. They appear from time to time on eBay but usually all you can find are the more common white hoods. If you save the bits you remove they can always be put back by the next owner who may enjoy having them, that being said, there is no shame in doing whatever you need to do to your bike to make it comfortable for you to ride. Competitions from this era are really great for building into upright riders or going with touring configurations. Looking forward to seeing more pics of your new ride.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 10-23-22, 12:27 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Seeing the pics, and if that's how you're riding it, two things: first--move the levers up to make it easier to ride on the hoods. lining up the tips of the brake levers with the bottom edge of the drops is standard. You might be able to reuse the bar tape for a low cost experiment.
second--those bars look to have a very long reach which is cool, but a shorter stem might make you happy. I just love the classic look and that is a great example. You WILL adapt and be the envy of your fellow trail riders.
Old 10-24-22, 07:11 AM
calebcrosby

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I love this. Is that a B17 saddle? Can I bug you for what kind of pack that is behind seat? And what kind of handlebars? they look like Raleigh, I still have my grandparents Raleigh 3 speeds in a garage in Maine. your tires look a bit thicker than mine, I may have to do this too. I took a 360 off my bike on the firdt ride in my neighborhood! Not used to a road bike's thin tires and narrow handlebars on a New orleans bit of sunken concrete pavement- got the tire caught and well anyway bike ok rider ok, crowd of people were sort of amazed at the whole thing!

Any I love this set up! I'll go this way if my experiment is not enough, I've tinker built a couple aluminum clamps that fasten on to handlebars and have a 12" riser post that bends out into a handlebar, one on each side of stem - I actually bought a tube break (bender) to get them right. I made this for a friend bc I have a small machine shop behind my house - but now I get to try them myself. This will be delicious after a few hundred hours of prototyping.
Old 10-25-22, 07:26 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,559 Times in 727 Posts
A less aggressive stem and moving the brakes up will make a big difference.

Also, I think your flexibility will increase a lot during the first couple months back on the bike. It sure did for me.

Either way, it's great that you're back in the saddle!
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 10-26-22, 08:28 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
This is my 1973 Competition Mk. II, which I have set up in mad-scientist, all-roads mode. The germane thing here is the cockpit setup - I wound up replacing the stem with a 10cm Nitto Technomic to put the tops of the bars level with the saddle, the way the cycling manuals 50-100 years ago recommended for dropped-bar general purpose riding. I also chose to go with a set of basic but still very nice and comfy Tektro aero levers (<$20 on eBay, new in box), which, combined with stainless brake cables and Teflon-lined housing and a set of Scott Matthauser brake pads, makes the already pretty good Weinmann Vainqueur 999 centerpulls serious stoppers. It currently wears a handlebar mounted bottle cage and an older Rivendell Baggins bag from the brief period they used Duluth Pack as a supplier.

I don't think anyone has mentioned yet how adaptable and flexible these bikes are. The '73-76 Competition with the sloping fork crown and the rapid-taper chainstays appears to be THE tire clearance king in 531-tubed Raleigh/Carltons. I have room for at least 35s with mudguards, maybe 38s even. And that's not including those who rebuild these to work with 650B wheelsets and convert them into French cyclo-camping or randonneur machines.

Because mine came to me in tattered, badly rusted and corroded condition (the fork chrome had sloughed off like a snake skin!), I felt no guilt in reaching for the wire brush and the black Krylon to fix the fork blades. The mad-scientist, no mechanical gear-changer gearing is a 42/44T chainset with a 17/19T Surly Dingle fixed cog on one side of the hub and a 20/22T White Industries Dos Eno freewheel on the other. Maybe 20-30 seconds to dismount, loosen the quick release and switch from a 70-in pavement to a 60-in gravel fixed gear, perhaps a full minute to pull the wheel out and flip it 'round to select either a 60-in general noodling or a 52-in gentle single-track freewheeling mode. The 35 mm Continental Cyclocross Speed tires can be switched out for a more pavement oriented set of 32 mm Paselas, depending on my mood.

As originally built, photo taken immediately after the first shakedown ride.

Seen here it its natural environment.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 10-28-22, 12:16 PM
calebcrosby

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
wow, what a beautiful bike and good info. thanks for the details on what you did. I'm taking notes. what size tires are you riding 1.5?
Old 10-28-22, 12:19 PM
calebcrosby

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I tried replying to so many of these great posts and killer photos! Man I love y'alls rides!!! but i was limited to 5 per day. not sure if that limit is still active but did some work to bike and will post photos of where I'm at soon

Caleb
Old 10-28-22, 01:19 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I tried replying to so many of these great posts and killer photos! Man I love y'alls rides!!! but i was limited to 5 per day. not sure if that limit is still active but did some work to bike and will post photos of where I'm at soon

Caleb
You just need two more posts to be able to post pics...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.