Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Question Regarding Vintage rims for my Bianchi

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-22, 08:06 AM
Cycologist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I want to have a set of rims built from vintage components and as far as hubs go, it looks like the 80 Campagnolo Record with the oil port in the center seems to be the best choice.
I want to stay with a high flange hub. I imagine they should be 36H as well.I'm not sure if the Hi-Flange also cam in 32h. My understanding is that Campagnolo did offer high flange in the 3 groups, Triomphe, Victory and C-Record. But C-R being i.d. by the oil port and "Record".

As far as rims, there seems to be so many options. I haven't narrowed any down yet but looking for recommendations.

Freewheels, 5/6/7s. What measurement do I need before I purchase the hubs? Did the C-Record come in different hub widths? Or are all 3 freewheels interchangeable and should fit. Or should they be 126mm for a vintage Bianchi 1980's.

While reading I did come across these wheels for an excellent price, Sun M13. So comparing a high end vintage set of wheels and hubs, would I be able to notice the difference while riding?
Old 10-29-22, 08:19 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycologist
I want to have a set of rims built from vintage components and as far as hubs go, it looks like the 80 Campagnolo Record with the oil port in the center seems to be the best choice.
I want to stay with a high flange hub. I imagine they should be 36H as well.I'm not sure if the Hi-Flange also cam in 32h. My understanding is that Campagnolo did offer high flange in the 3 groups, Triomphe, Victory and C-Record. But C-R being i.d. by the oil port and "Record".

Campanutella made lots of HF hubs in many drillings. Nuovo Tipo, “Record” both Nuovo and Super Record being almost identical except for the Record allegedly applied to the Super ones. C-Record and immediately recognized by the large dust caps that cover most of the axle aside from the drive side. I don’t think I ever saw Victory or Triomphe hubs in the wild only in catalogs. I believe some of the MTB groups had HF also, these sometimes bring identified as Chorus. Poke are around Velobase

As far as rims, there seems to be so many options. I haven't narrowed any down yet but looking for recommendations.

Freewheels, 5/6/7s. What measurement do I need before I purchase the hubs? Did the C-Record come in different hub widths? Or are all 3 freewheels interchangeable and should fit. Or should they be 126mm for a vintage Bianchi 1980's.

You can change spacers around, to a point, and change the axle to fit the FW you want to use. My C-Record hubs at one point had a 141mm axle trimmed down a bit and an 8spd FW at one point.

While reading I did come across these wheels for an excellent price, Sun M13. So comparing a high end vintage set of wheels and hubs, would I be able to notice the difference while riding?
Which Bianchi do you have? Most never came with HF hubs, the only one I can think of was the fabulous but spendy Centenario.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-29-22, 08:48 AM
Cycologist

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I have an 87-89 Mondiale ( I dont know the exact date) and 80's Super Leggera. I would like to interchange the wheels if possible.
Old 10-29-22, 08:59 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts

First, have you checked out Velobase.com to research the various Campagnolo hubs? That is a great resource.

Second, what is your primary motivation? Do you want something to as closely match what would have been original equipment for your bike? Or just be period-correct?

Or, is your goal to build a set of wheels which look appropriate for your bike while offering the best, or at least better ride quality than the original?

The Sun M-13 wheels are an excellent choice, looking the part while offering maintenance-free sealed hubs. Velomine.com has them for around $169.00 per set right now. Don't know where you've been shopping, but they are good guys that I've dealt with before.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 10-29-22, 09:04 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Cycologist both those came and went and came again. Superleggera moved between the top ranking models depending on year. The Mondiale was only around a few years and one years was offered as a frame.

Any pics?

Making wheels interchangeable between bikes is easy, you just need to decide on one standard ie 6,7,8,+ speed and freewheel or cassette. Then adjust you shifting accordingly. I decided in 2009 when I started collecting more bikes to center any builds around the shipmano 7 speed cassette hub, as decent quality ‘takeoff’ hub sets like STX RX were available at reasonable cost, and with a simple 4.5mm spacer you can use a 8spd hub/wheel in a pinch.

7 of my bikes use this “standard” the others are 2 9spd Ergo bikes, an IGH and a 5spd but that bike wears a Campanutella Portacatena system and therefore the 5spd.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 10-29-22, 12:04 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
I did come across these [rims] for an excellent price, Sun M13.
A great value when building wheels and look correct for our bikes, especially when you remove the "m13ii" half of that rim label.

Measure your rear spacing before you buy your rear hub. New axles are expensive these days ($40).
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-29-22, 03:26 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
I want to stay with a high flange hub. I imagine they should be 36H as well.I'm not sure if the Hi-Flange also cam in 32h.
Record hubs were available in 24-28-32-36-40 hole drillings. Gran Sport were available in 32-36-40 hole drilling. Victory and Triomphe were available in 32 or 36 hole drilling.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-29-22, 11:06 PM
Cycologist

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I certainly want periods correct but also a smooth set of wheels/rims that look the part and ride great. I have not checked to Velobase and will take a look.
Old 10-30-22, 07:10 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
For what it's worth, my 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia came with 36 hole low-flange Ofmega hubs, Nisi wired-on/clincher rims, Campagnolo quill pedals, NR derailleurs, and Modolo Speedy brakes. I am currently running 32 hold low-flange Campagnolo hubs and (black-anodized -- which I do not endorse) Campagnolo Omega rims, with the original wheelset from the Bianchi on my 1959 Capo (pictured with Bianchi OEM wheelset).

For appearance, I am partial to high-flange hubs on 1960s bikes with ornate lugs and low-flange on 1980s bikes with simpler lugs, but I have yet to discern any practical functional difference.

The two places I particularly place function over form are brakes and saddle. Thus, the Bianchi has a Serfas ARC saddle and Shimano dual-pivot brakes with KoolStop pads and Shimano aero levers.

1973 Brooks Pro on the 1959 Capo. Still serviceable, plan to put on a different bike. Campag. crankset shown
Wheels (32-hole Ofmega hubs/Nisi rims) were OEM on my 1982 Bianchi, which now has Campag. hubs and Campag. Omega rims.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-30-22, 07:47 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Cyclologist I’ve been think about your idea of “period correctness” and did a bit of research. It seems the Mondiale normally wore dark anodized tubular rims like the GP4. And the Superleggera often wore them as well depending on its place in the lineup and even wore fancy gold Mavic tubular rims at one point. None have HF hubs

I don’t think it was uncommon for rims or complete wheelsets to switched at purchase because of the buyer, while wanting a top shelf thoroughbred, didn’t want tubulars.

the 85

87 Mondiale in the fabulous Metallic Celeste paint

88 Mondiale

86 Mondiale

89 Mondiale

83 Superleggera with gold Mavic tubular rims

The 84 Superleggera wif Mavic GP4s

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 10-30-22, 02:11 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Cyclologist I’ve been think about your idea of “period correctness” and did a bit of research. It seems the Mondiale normally wore dark anodized tubular rims like the GP4. And the Superleggera often wore them as well depending on its place in the lineup and even wore fancy gold Mavic tubular rims at one point. None have HF hubs

I don’t think it was uncommon for rims or complete wheelsets to switched at purchase because of the buyer, while wanting a top shelf thoroughbred, didn’t want tubulars. ...
True. Also, although we saw the first hints of high-performance wire-ons/clinchers in the early 1970s with the Michelin Elan and similar tires, the late 1970s and the 1980s ushered in the era of truly high-performance alternatives to tubulars. I moved to north coastal San Diego County in 1981, discovered various types of goathead and similar thorns the hard way, and quickly gave up on tubulars, even though I had ridden on them extensively in Los Angeles, and had normally kept two sets of wheels for my bikes, as was the fashion back then. I want to build one of the Capo Sieger project frames with tubulars just to experience them again on an appropriate classic bike, but I doubt I'll be putting a lot of miles on them, because my current Continental, Michelin, and other clinchers are just that good.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 11-14-22, 10:40 PM
Cycologist

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll

I don’t think it was uncommon for rims or complete wheelsets to switched at purchase because of the buyer, while wanting a top shelf thoroughbred, didn’t want tubulars.

the 85

87 Mondiale in the fabulous Metallic Celeste paint

88 Mondiale

86 Mondiale

89 Mondiale

83 Superleggera with gold Mavic tubular rims

The 84 Superleggera wif Mavic GP4s
Those pictures are gorgeous thanks for sharing. I'm pulling my Mondiale out of storage and looks to be an 89 from the catalogue.