Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your favorite road tubeless tires

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your favorite road tubeless tires

Old 10-03-22, 11:02 AM
FrankTuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I just installed these last week after getting a bubble in a GP5000 TL sidewall that left me stranded 😬😬😬

A little tricky to mount though not bad on my Bontrager Aeolus 51 wheels, and I did need an Airshot canister to mount. To be fair, the rim tape is probably due for a refresh.

My initial thoughts are very positive! They feel more plush to me than the same size GP5000 TL. They're supposed to be a few watts slower but I can't say I noticed when riding. For $108/pair these are great.
Likes For FrankTuna:
Old 10-03-22, 06:38 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankTuna
I just installed these last week after getting a bubble in a GP5000 TL sidewall that left me stranded 😬😬😬

A little tricky to mount though not bad on my Bontrager Aeolus 51 wheels, and I did need an Airshot canister to mount. To be fair, the rim tape is probably due for a refresh.

My initial thoughts are very positive! They feel more plush to me than the same size GP5000 TL. They're supposed to be a few watts slower but I can't say I noticed when riding. For $108/pair these are great.
For the Pro 51s what size did get and how wide are they inflated? Oh I got to resist until my new rear tube tire wears out.
Old 10-03-22, 06:57 PM
FrankTuna

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
For the Pro 51s what size did get and how wide are they inflated? Oh I got to resist until my new rear tube tire wears out.
30mm up front (measures 31mm) and 32mm in the rear (measures 33.5mm). The front tire ends up the same width as the wheel.
Likes For FrankTuna:
Old 10-06-22, 05:52 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankTuna
30mm up front (measures 31mm) and 32mm in the rear (measures 33.5mm). The front tire ends up the same width as the wheel.
Thank you. Good to know. Looks like a 28mm will be just under which is what I want. So current 28mm is like the old 25mm. I may take that back and go larger for a plusher ride. Starting to like the soft a the end of a long ride with latex tubes. It just bugs me they loss a few pounds after at couple of hours.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 11-03-22 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-12-22, 09:05 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Finally found some time to take a photo of my rear tyre. The tyre is the Micheline Pro tubless. The tyre is separating form the sidewall. I think it might have to do with the rubber compounds not getting along anymore.

Tyre still holds air and isn't giving my trouble so I am not bothering to replace it for the moment. I am keeping my eye on the tyre though. 5,600+ km on the tyre so I figure I am doing ok.
Old 10-13-22, 11:59 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 276 Posts
Update on the ENVE SES tires in a 700x29... Been riding on them for a few weeks and they're great so far. They feel very, very similar to my Continental 5000TR tires (which are 700x30). They roll very well and are comfortable. Time will tell how long they last...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 10-15-22, 07:09 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
PSA: Lordgun has the Vittoria NEXT TLR, in stock in the highly sought after 28 and 30mm sizes, for ~$39 each. Shipping is a little expensive at Lordgun, $20 +/-, depending upon how many you buy, but the pricing still comes out as the best per tire and their shipping is super fast. I usually get three tires at a time, one front and two for the rear, and these are coming out to $135 shipped, or $45 each. That's pretty damn good.
Old 10-16-22, 10:08 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,710 Times in 2,910 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies

Tyre still holds air and isn't giving my trouble so I am not bothering to replace it for the moment. I am keeping my eye on the tyre though. 5,600+ km on the tyre so I figure I am doing ok.
I would bin it before it does let you down. 5,600 km is not so bad. I tend to replace tyres more often than that just to have the peace of mind of relatively fresh tyres on my bike. Plus they are more puncture resistant when new (thicker tread)
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-16-22, 04:27 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
I have to say. I have skimmed through this thread from time to time. I don't see much love for Hutchinson tires. After all, in partnership with Shimano they developed the first road tubeless bicycle tires. They have manufactured road tubeless tires for other brands, Mavic road tubeless tires advertise the "11 Storm' tire composite that Hutchinson also advertises for their tires. Recently, I saw that Pirelli was going to start this own manufacturing facility after having to rely on Hutchinson after getting back into selling bicycle tires after years out of the market. I have been riding Hutchinson road tubeless tires since there was no other choice
Old 10-17-22, 01:29 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
PSA: Lordgun has the Vittoria NEXT TLR, in stock in the highly sought after 28 and 30mm sizes, for ~$39 each. Shipping is a little expensive at Lordgun, $20 +/-, depending upon how many you buy, but the pricing still comes out as the best per tire and their shipping is super fast. I usually get three tires at a time, one front and two for the rear, and these are coming out to $135 shipped, or $45 each. That's pretty damn good.
Just ordered a pair in 32c that are also the same price. Shipping is just under $19 so less than a c-note for two tires delivered. Hoping they come soon as I just had a major gash in my rear. First flat that would not seal since I went tubeless about 2 years ago. Hope I like them as well as the Schwalbe Pro one Addix that I've been using but now cannot find in the wider sizes.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 10-18-22, 09:50 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I would bin it before it does let you down. 5,600 km is not so bad. I tend to replace tyres more often than that just to have the peace of mind of relatively fresh tyres on my bike. Plus they are more puncture resistant when new (thicker tread)
Yeah, I will probably bin the tyre before the start of next season. Like you said. No sense having the tyre let me down when I'm 100km from home.
Old 10-19-22, 06:13 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by alcjphil
I have to say. I have skimmed through this thread from time to time. I don't see much love for Hutchinson tires. After all, in partnership with Shimano they developed the first road tubeless bicycle tires. They have manufactured road tubeless tires for other brands, Mavic road tubeless tires advertise the "11 Storm' tire composite that Hutchinson also advertises for their tires. Recently, I saw that Pirelli was going to start this own manufacturing facility after having to rely on Hutchinson after getting back into selling bicycle tires after years out of the market. I have been riding Hutchinson road tubeless tires since there was no other choice
They just don't seem as well promoted as say Contis. The only experience I've had of Hutchinson is with mtb tubeless and they were really nice tyres. I would give their road tyres a go if I wasn't so happy with my current Contis and Pirellis.
Old 10-19-22, 10:50 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
Has anyone tried the new Panaracer Agilest tubeless road slicks? The weights on that tire are in clincher tire territory, though their clincher version weigh even less. I'm debating if I go with the durability of their tubeless tire or benefit from the extra weight reduction of the clincher tire + TPU tubes.
Old 10-20-22, 08:12 PM
lefteye

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
American Classic

After the Conti 5000 TL (which I quite like) went up to $90, I tried the American Classic Timekeeper. Went on with minimal fuss, inflated and sealed easily. Seems to run a bit small--i got a 25, and I suspect a 28 would work for this application. I've done 5 or 6 rides, maybe 180 miles or so. No problems; hope durability is good. Only available through Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TQX56BF
Old 10-21-22, 04:38 AM
The_woo

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
They just don't seem as well promoted as say Contis. The only experience I've had of Hutchinson is with mtb tubeless and they were really nice tyres. I would give their road tyres a go if I wasn't so happy with my current Contis and Pirellis.
Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance tyres roll OK but are sadly lacking in puncture protection compared to GP5000 et al. I've not had so many unsealable punctures as I had in a few weeks with the fusion 5 ever. No problems with mounting, sealing bead etc so I dare say they can make good tyres - it's just that those ones are a very poor compromise compared to other tubless options. They were at least cheap.
Old 10-21-22, 04:46 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by The_woo
Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance tyres roll OK but are sadly lacking in puncture protection compared to GP5000 et al. I've not had so many unsealable punctures as I had in a few weeks with the fusion 5 ever. No problems with mounting, sealing bead etc so I dare say they can make good tyres - it's just that those ones are a very poor compromise compared to other tubless options. They were at least cheap.
Yeah that ties up with what I read about the Fusion 5 in other reviews. I've been very impressed with the puncture resistance of the latest GP5000S TR. i.e. zero punctures in several thousand km of riding pretty rough UK roads. They are wearing well too and obviously quick enough. So for now at least I'm not looking for any alternatives. The only thing that might make me look elsewhere are supply issues. The Contis seem hard to find in the spec I want.
Old 10-21-22, 08:15 AM
Ogsarg

I received the Vittorio Next TLR tires yesterday from Lord Gunn and installed one on the rear. The bead is thicker than other tires and stiff and it was not easy to mount, although I have had worse and was able to get it on with a lever as opposed to resorting to the tire jack. Was super easy to seat. This was last night and I won't have a chance to get in a good ride till Monday so will report back on ride quality.

BTW. This was my first order from Lordgunn and was impressed. Shipping was not that much and it arrived here from the UK in 3 days.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 10-28-22, 01:55 PM
WhyFi

No experience with them, but they look interesting, at least - Excel has Panaracer's new Agilest TLR on sale for $68 for a two-pack (!!!) For the hookless among us, they are compatible. Not much online - no reviews that I see and only a few hands-on; I've seen one user report that they wear pretty quickly and that they're a little tight, but grain of salt and all that.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-30-22, 06:00 PM
Ogsarg

Just getting around to commenting on the ride of the Vittorio Next TLR. My first ride was 82 miles on everything from really good pavement to really bad; more of the bad than the good. I don't find them as supple as the Pro One Addix and they definitely don't roll as well ( I really noticed the chipseal). Not horrible though. As far as handling goes, they seemed fine for my needs. I'm not pushing the envelope on high speed cornering. These are non-directional tires with just straight grooves so would not expect them to be great in the rain but the bike I have them doesn't get ridden in the rain.

The Pro One's are still my favorite tire but for the money, these are a good value.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 10-31-22, 07:05 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
Finally found some time to take a photo of my rear tyre. The tyre is the Micheline Pro tubless. The tyre is separating form the sidewall. I think it might have to do with the rubber compounds not getting along anymore.

I've seen similar deterioration on early model Michelin tubeless, but mine are two years old. I split 5000+ miles per year between two bikes. Mine might get a tube and become a trainer tire. I just put a new pair of 28mm on 25mm IW hookless rims. Working great so far. They measure a bit over 31mm. I figure I better use them before they get too old.
Old 10-31-22, 07:18 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts

5000kms is more than OK lifespan. I'd be happy to get this mileage out of my Pro Ones (the last 2 rear ones I've had squared off at 3000kms). Not sure I would ride a tire like yours going down a hill at 50mph though...
Old 11-03-22, 03:37 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
No experience with them, but they look interesting, at least - Excel has Panaracer's new Agilest TLR on sale for $68 for a two-pack (!!!) For the hookless among us, they are compatible. Not much online - no reviews that I see and only a few hands-on; I've seen one user report that they wear pretty quickly and that they're a little tight, but grain of salt and all that.
I’m tempted to try them for winter.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 11-03-22, 06:29 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by phrantic09
I’m tempted to try them for winter.
If Vittoria were to release a Corsa Control version of the NEXT, I'd be all over 'em for late fall/early spring riding.
Old 11-03-22, 08:43 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
If Vittoria were to release a Corsa Control version of the NEXT, I'd be all over 'em for late fall/early spring riding.
I wish BRR would review the Panaracer. If it’s anything over 15W I’d just keep rolling on the Strada Bianca I have mounted now.
Old 11-03-22, 11:16 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
Thanks for the link. I actually ended up buying the Agilest 25c clincher tires. The price and lower weight (will use with my TPU tubes) was too much to pass up! Plus I still have a good set of tubeless tires mounted on my other wheelset and I'm in no rush to remove and remount another set of tubeless tires! Lol
Likes For jonathanf2:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.