Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Flat tire frequency

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Flat tire frequency

Old 11-06-22, 03:04 PM
Imaginos

Bikes: 1994 Raleigh MT200,,2022 Marin Four Corners ,1994 Cannondale T700,2019 Trek Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 76 Posts
Flat tire frequency

I started riding this year after retirement and at 1800 miles I’m up to seven or eight flats. I ride a little gravel but mostly paved shoulder. I started out on a used mtb and ended up buying two more bikes new. They all had new tires and tubes and all three have had flats. I know flats happen but come on,is this normal?Mostly back tires.I am surprised at the recommended tire pressures of 50 lbs plus on these things. Finally,are the “slime”filled tubes any good?Thanks.

Last edited by Imaginos; 11-06-22 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-06-22, 03:16 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Imaginos
I started riding this year after retirement and at 1800 miles I’m up to seven or eight flats. I ride a little gravel but mostly paved shoulder. I started out on a used mtb and ended up buying two more bikes new. They all had new tires and tubes and all three have had flats. I know flats happen but come on,is this normal?Mostly back tires.I am surprised at the recommended tire pressures of 50 lbs plus on these things. Finally,are the “slime”filled tires any good?Thanks.
What's causing your flats? That is, what are you finding stuck in your tire when you fix each flat? Riding the shoulder is where all the junk is.. try and ride more often in the actual road. I'm on clinchers/tubes and haven't flatted since early 2021.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 11-06-22, 03:36 PM
Imaginos

Bikes: 1994 Raleigh MT200,,2022 Marin Four Corners ,1994 Cannondale T700,2019 Trek Domane SL7

The only thing i’ve found still in the tire was a sliver of bone(deer)about the size of a toothpick that went through both sides. I agree that the shoulders suck for debris and maybe I should start “sharing” more road. Thanks for your reply.
Old 11-06-22, 04:00 PM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
What's causing your flats? That is, what are you finding stuck in your tire when you fix each flat? Riding the shoulder is where all the junk is.. try and ride more often in the actual road.
Yup. If you don't know what is causing your flats then obviously you can't take steps to address the problem. If the flats are always on the rim side of the tube then it could be a bad or shifted rim tape. All kinds of causes and without knowing why, you know nothing.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 11-06-22, 04:06 PM
Chicken_fat

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 11 Posts
I started riding this year after retirement and at 1800 miles I’m up to seven or eight flats. I ride a little gravel but mostly paved shoulder. I started out on a used mtb and ended up buying two more bikes new. They all had new tires and tubes and all three have had flats. I know flats happen but come on,is this normal?Mostly back tires.I am surprised at the recommended tire pressures of 50 lbs plus on these things. Finally,are the “slime”filled tubes any good?Thanks.

Not all tires are equal. Having the correct pressure for your weight and the terrain also matters.

I’ve been using Continental Grand Prix 4 season on my Roubaix for years and they’ve been very good for me.

Other tires I’m using are Specialized Pathfinder sport for gravel/road and they’ve been good as well.
Likes For Chicken_fat:
Old 11-06-22, 04:06 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
If riding more in the "swept" traffic lane doesn't improve your situation, you could get more flat-resistant tires. I've not had any puncture flats on my road bike with Schwalbe "Marathon Supreme" tires, though I don't put as many miles on that as my commuter bike. The commuter has Schwalbe "Marathon Plus" tires, which over about 15,000 miles on Chicago city streets have only suffered one flat due to puncture by an unknown but apparently supernatural object.
Another option is to place "tire liners" (eg: "Mr. Tuffy") between the tires and the tubes. Using these in my "winter" bike has literally eliminated puncture flats.

EDIT: Since all three of your bikes have the same problem, it's less likely that it's anything other than road debris. Unless you don't keep your tires inflated properly, in which case you could have "pinch flats".

Last edited by sweeks; 11-06-22 at 04:11 PM.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 11-06-22, 04:07 PM
Chicken_fat

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 11 Posts
Make sure there is a decent rim strip installed as well.
Likes For Chicken_fat:
Old 11-06-22, 04:48 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
"I am surprised at the recommended tire pressures of 50 lbs plus on these things."

Maximum pressures are not always the best pressure.
Personally, i've found the best ride is always less than max pressure... this applies to all types of vehicle tires.

another "discovery" along the way has been that Max pressure can INCREASE punctures because the offending object has no choice but to puncture when met with a rock hard tire......a Softer tire might just conform but not puncture.

and riding the shoulder is not the best route to avoid garbage that hurts tires....

Finally.. Slime tubes suck... the first time that Slime gets in the valve, the valve is RUINED.... the Slime will eventually harden and may cause a nasty hop at speed too... and then, there's the added WEIGHT, AKA: Rotating Mass, in this case.. a bike rider's worst enemy.

in the future, i'd suggest... buy Quality tubes, Find a pressure for your tires about 10 to 20% Below Max Pressure, and watch where you're riding.... oh, and learn to let the bike ride SOFT under your weight... Plopping your butt on the seat is NOT riding soft... letting the bike rock back and forth under your feet IS Riding Soft.:-D

Last edited by maddog34; 11-06-22 at 04:55 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 11-06-22, 05:54 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 101 Posts
What others said: after each flat check where in the tube the puncture is (submerge in water if needed) and check the tire. In order to do this install the tires so that the label matches the nipple. Then you can superimpose the tire and the tube and find the thorn embedded in the tire.

I rarely have flats unless the tire is worn significantly.
Likes For csport:
Old 11-06-22, 06:11 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
50 PSI. Might be too much or it might be way too little. Depends greatly on what size tire and total weight of you, bicycle and stuff you carry along.

You mention a Roubaix. If that's a bike, then a Specialized Roubaix? Normally they'd only have a 25mm or perhaps a 28mm tire on them. Not certain how wide they can handle. I'd think 50 PSI in them too little unless you are very very light.

I don't ride shoulders as they are usually where all the debris is. But you do have to consider the way motorist handle cyclist in your area. Here, most act pretty decent around cyclist.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-06-22, 10:12 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 953 Posts
The OP says he rides MTB. 50psi is way high for any kind of MTB.
Flats are a fact of life. I suggest the OP look into tubeless wheels and tires though. Most MTB & gravel riders swear by tubeless nowadays.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 11-06-22, 10:43 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,343 Posts
All the above suggestions are good, but not necessarily on point for you.

The key to a solution is considering the specific causes of your flats, ie. punctures through the tread, pinch punctures on the sides, or punctures on the rim side of the tube.

Once you know how and why you're getting flats, you'll be able to take corrective action.

BTW you didn't mention where you live, which may matter. If you live in the southwest, you may be the victim of goathead thorns. If so, Slime may be your best friend.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-06-22 at 10:47 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-07-22, 12:36 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
All the above suggestions are good, but not necessarily on point for you.

The key to a solution is considering the specific causes of your flats, ie. punctures through the tread, pinch punctures on the sides, or punctures on the rim side of the tube.

Once you know how and why you're getting flats, you'll be able to take corrective action.

BTW you didn't mention where you live, which may matter. If you live in the southwest, you may be the victim of goathead thorns. If so, Slime may be your best friend.
The info under his picture says "Southeast Alaska"

Old 11-07-22, 12:50 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by JoeTBM
The info under his picture says "Southeast Alaska"
Maybe it's because I'm on a cell phone, but all it shows is a photo, name, and "Newbie".

In any case, how about some credit? I wouldn't have asked if I already knew.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-07-22 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-07-22, 03:50 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Maybe it's because I'm on a cell phone, but all it shows is a photo, name, and "Newbie".

In any case, how about some credit? I wouldn't have asked if I already knew.
True,

Old 11-07-22, 05:45 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,359 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Flats are a fact of life. I suggest the OP look into tubeless wheels and tires though. Most MTB & gravel riders swear by tubeless nowadays.
No, that's not what he said. we really don't know what his fleet is.

"​​​​​​ I started out on a used mtb and ended up buying two more bikes new."
Old 11-07-22, 07:20 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 257 Posts
Slime sucks
Don't ride in the debris fields
Maybe look into tubeless if you can't do the above.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 11-07-22, 08:47 AM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Imaginos, glad you are sticking with it. If I recall, you are in Craig on Prince of Wales Island, the 3rd largest island in the US. POW has the best road system in The Tongass Forest because of logging. It is a paradise for fishing and hunting, mainly because you can access so much. But those logging roads are tough and there really isn’t much pavement. There should be no problem riding on the road itself and I don’t recall there being a real bike shoulder on the few paved roads from Hollis to Klawock. So take the road.

I am north of you in Haines. We have more paved roads and a little more traffic, but drivers are good. I switched to tubeless on my road bikes and it has worked well for me. I am in America at the moment, but will be bring back a vintage Italian steel bike to ride on nice days. That will have tubes and will be fine. Unless the wheels on your road/touring bikes are tubeless ready, just keep riding tubes and take the road. If you are fully committed, then you can and probably will get tubeless wheels and tires.

I get to Ketchikan occasionally, but not with bikes. If you get to Haines, I will let try tubeless tires. And Ketchikan has a bike group that my be a good resource. I know being a bicyclist on POW is tough, but good on you.

Mike
Likes For IcySwan1:
Old 11-07-22, 02:47 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 404 Posts
Flat tires happen all the time. I had a flat yesterday. I've had has many as four flats in one day before.
Likes For Yan:
Old 11-07-22, 03:55 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Flats don't happen that often. Once for me in the last three years, and it sealed on its own.

- A tubeless rider who flatted at least half a dozen times a year pre-tubeless, often riding on unswept shoulders and occasional gravel segments.
Likes For surak:
Old 11-07-22, 04:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
OP only said he started out with a MTN bike and had gotten 2 more bikes.

I suppose I could assume they are all mtn bikes, but I'd rather not.
Old 11-07-22, 05:15 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Have we helped the o.p. yet? I started to skim after post #10 and we're still talking past one another. Let's find out what the o.p. is riding on! And where he is riding. I'm reluctant to add any more confusion or push him into the traffic lane unless absolutely necessary. 50psi is for 2.0" tires. About the only thing I'll add is that after flat number #1 it is often the case that whatever caused it is not properly removed. It can really be frustrating! You need to get a very bright light AND run your fingers over the entire inside and outside of the tire and make sure no wires or small (really tiny) pieces of glass are not still embedded.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 11-07-22, 06:22 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Have we helped the o.p. yet? I started to skim after post #10 and we're still talking......
Ultimately it's up to the OP to help himself. IF he provides more details, we might offer some more pointed suggestions, but he still has to do his own homework.

FWIW the OP implied that the flats were spread over multiple bikes. If so, that would argue against anything specific to rims and tires. So, if they're punctures, it MIGHT be about his lane position, or some other factor. If snakebites, it MIGHT be low tire pressure.

So, we might point out water sources, but he has to do his own drinking.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-07-22, 07:13 PM
Imaginos

OP here. Thanks to all who replied,a lot of good info and insight.Of all the factors mentioned,i think that getting more onto the roadway and off the debris laden shoulders would help the most. I ride a 50mph two lane highway and it can be unnerving sometimes.The shoulder just feels safer. You guys are great,thanks again.

Last edited by Imaginos; 11-07-22 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-07-22, 08:09 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
About the only thing I'll add is that after flat number #1 it is often the case that whatever caused it is not properly removed. It can really be frustrating! You need to get a very bright light AND run your fingers over the entire inside and outside of the tire and make sure no wires or small (really tiny) pieces of glass are not still embedded.
^^^This.^^^

I can't tell you how many club rides I've been on where someone got a flat, they did nothing more than a quick finger sweep while not even removing the tire and when they found nothing assumed a pinch flat. So they installed a new tube and a couple miles down the road, another flat. You really need to remove the tire, turn it inside out and both look and feel carefully for any objects. I rarely get flats - usually about once a year or less. When I do, I usually find a small strand of wire.
Likes For Lombard:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.