Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

BMC riders, need a little info

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-09-22, 05:44 AM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts

I'm looking, pretty seriously, at a 2022 BMC Teammachine SLR TWO. Disc brakes,Sram AXS, upgrade wheels. I like the bike. The reviews call it harsh riding, actually "very harsh riding" so there is that to consider.

The other is I'm trying to get a feel for the sizing (this is an internet purchase) I'm a scant 5' 10" with a 32 inseam so, it appears, using their data, I am in between 54 and 56. If there is anything that causes me stress it is bike sizing
when you can't ride the actual bike. It will have a conventional stem assembly so I can change the reach.

And the Sram AXS..lot of love and a bit of hate about that groupset. Currently I am riding a Domane, 56, Di2 Ultegra , smooth as can be is all respects but there is no harm in having two (8) bikes right?

Any user comments about this bike would be much appreciated, I don't know anyone in my circle that has one.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-09-22, 07:59 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
To answer your only question…. N+1 is OK

Some advice….. N+(that)1 = you get to decide.

🙂

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 11-09-22, 03:37 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
If your inseam is only 32 inches, your saddle height should only be about 72cm, like mine, but you're 4 inches taller. The team machine has a tall stack height, much taller than I would want, even in the 54cm size. I'd need a 51cm with no spacers and a -17 stem to get the bars low enough.

No one wants a harsh ride. One way to avoid that is to use wider hookless rims and 28mm tires. I have 25mm internal width rims with 28mm tubeless tires so I can run 52/56 psi. With that setup, I'll never have a harsh ride.

That's why I never buy a prebuilt bike.

​​​​​​
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 11-09-22, 04:24 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Bike Inseam

There are two way to measure inseam.
1. For pants.
2. For a bike.

This is a link for a bike inseam.

All the best

Barry
Old 11-09-22, 04:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I have a 56 cm Specialized Tarmac that is close to the same geometry. I'm 5' 11 with a 34.5" (87.6cm) inseam. I sometimes wish I'd tried out the 54cm frame. Though in a 54 cm frame I might have rather gone for a Roubaix to get about the same saddle to bar drop that I currently ride on the Tarmac.

The 54 cm BMC appears to have a 15mm lower frame stack. So assuming the same amount of spacers under the stem you'll be 15 mm lower on the smaller frame. The 56 will have you stretched out a tad more but with less bar drop. So that's your big consideration.

If you don't like being aero and prefer to sit up, that's really the wrong bike. Find a different model bike with a higher stack.

As for reviewers saying a harsh ride, were those professional reviews? If just customer review you have to consider what they had prior experience with. And for some this may have been one of their first bikes and they had unreasonable expectations of how smooth a bike should be. But though I've never ridden one, I've had some questions about BMC too and would definitely have to ride one for a dozen mile or so before purchasing.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-10-22, 02:44 AM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Originally Posted by Iride01
I have a 56 cm Specialized Tarmac that is close to the same geometry. I'm 5' 11 with a 34.5" (87.6cm) inseam. I sometimes wish I'd tried out the 54cm frame. Though in a 54 cm frame I might have rather gone for a Roubaix to get about the same saddle to bar drop that I currently ride on the Tarmac.

The 54 cm BMC appears to have a 15mm lower frame stack. So assuming the same amount of spacers under the stem you'll be 15 mm lower on the smaller frame. The 56 will have you stretched out a tad more but with less bar drop. So that's your big consideration.

If you don't like being aero and prefer to sit up, that's really the wrong bike. Find a different model bike with a higher stack.

As for reviewers saying a harsh ride, were those professional reviews? If just customer review you have to consider what they had prior experience with. And for some this may have been one of their first bikes and they had unreasonable expectations of how smooth a bike should be. But though I've never ridden one, I've had some questions about BMC too and would definitely have to ride one for a dozen mile or so before purchasing.
Iride!
Thanks so much for the very informative response. I've learned a lot here and this was what I was hoping for.I'm going to perform step one and properly measure my inseam and go from there.
I am looking for a performance style bike that I can raise the bars a bit higher to get more comfort for my ageing self.

Can you give me a little more info on what the term "stack height" means?

The reviews I have read concerning ride stiffness were from professional reviewers.
Old 11-10-22, 08:07 AM
DaveSSS 

Here's a link with a drawing that shows all dimensions. Stack height is the length of a vertical line from the center of the bottom bracket to the top-center of the upper headset bearing. There's always a headset top cover that adds 10-15mm. Spacers under the stem add more to the total stack height. I can determine the saddle to bar drop with a known saddle height and stack height.

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/intl...lr-one-22.html

The ICS01 stem has a -12.5 degree angle that will lower the bars a little, compared to more common 6,7,8. Most likely, it could be replaced with another brand, if needed.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 11-10-22, 11:03 AM
bykemike 

Thanks for all the information Dave! I especially like this:

" I can determine the saddle to bar drop with a known saddle height and stack height."

I build my bikes, ride them, measure them, take them back apart, set it back up again, the long 'way round I would say.

At least I have something to do when I'm not riding
Old 11-10-22, 12:10 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Your saddle height will pretty much be controlled by the length of your legs. So from one road bike to the other road bike that saddle height will need to be virtually the same regardless of the frame size. Usually the smaller you go in a frame size for a particular model of bike, then stack height gets less. So a smaller size of that model will give you more bar drop from the saddle height.

Another has already showed you about stack height. And realize that is properly more properly frame stack. But we almost always just refer to it as stack. While other things like spacers under the stem, the angle of stem and the type of handle bars will affect how much drop you have from the saddle to the handle bars, frame stack of a bike will quickly let you assess whether you are looking at a sporty bike requiring a very aero race position or a more relaxed fit that allows for a more upright position.

Sounds like you want a more relaxed position, and if that is so, then this isn't the bike for you. You'll wind up frustrated with your handlebars being so low that you'll resort to making it look dorky with steerer tube extenders and weirdly angled stems. And then you ruin the aesthetics of the bike that is probably the big reason you picked that bike to consider.

A Specialized Roubaix will be that performance bike that will let you ride in a more relaxed position. A Specialized Diverge if you want to ride wide tires and gravel or just wider tires than most road bikes will be able to ever mount in their frames on bumpy paved roads. I'm not sure what the BMC equivalents would be if they even make them. Giant and Trek have equivalent geometry bikes with higher stacks too.

If you let your eyes do the selection, then you are probably going to be drawn to the bikes with lower stack as they just look more aesthetically appealing and racier.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-10-22, 01:17 PM
bykemike 

Iride, You are correct on all points. The bikes I find attractive are bikes I cannot put the miles on that I like to ride without feeling pain in my neck and back, this isn't getting easier as the years go by. My Domane is a bike I can ride all day with almost no issues, looks great, sits and fits me perfectly, I find myself looking for a sportier appearing bike for the shorter days, I guess I am hoping to find a bike that looks like I like, and maybe I can massage the fit a little closer to what I need without turning it into the dorky looking rides I see all the time with the 12 degree upturned stems and the bars twisted up until the drops are pointless.

I learn so much from the brain trust on this forum, always an adventure for sure!
Old 11-11-22, 07:50 AM
DaveSSS 

I perform a specific exercise to help reduce the neck and shoulder pain that I get in the early season on rides in the 3-4 hour range. I clasp my hands behind my head, then bend my neck forward and apply resistance with my hands as I straighten my neck up to a normal upright position. Repeat 5-10 times.

I'm old, but never have back pain, even with my 10cm saddle to bar drop. I'm flexible and have no problem touching my toes.

With my 72-73cm saddle height, I know that I need a total stack of 540mm, with the headset top cover and spacers with the lowest -17 degree stem. One of my bikes has a 509mm frame stack, so I use a special 30mm headset top cover that's 30mm tall and use no spacers. A stem with a -6,7 or 8 degree angle would only require a more common 15mm headset top. I have two new Yoeleo frames with 505mm stack with -7 degree integrated bar/stem with 20mm of headset top cover and spacer. The next larger size frame has 16mm more stack, so only the 10mm headset top cover would be needed.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 12-10-22, 08:19 PM
bykemike 

After soul searching, eBay searching, facebook searching, I have located and purchased a 2018 BMC Roadmachine SLR1 with Sram Red eTap group, a set of Enve 3.4 disc wheels.
. All sorts of extras come with including a power meter (no clue what to do with that)

Its running a set of 30 tires and room for 32 it appears. Good price and I am expecting to have it here about the 16-19 this month. The seller is including some ICS cockpit parts in case I want to raise the bar a bit. Can't wait to ride it, I'll end up making some mods but that's half the fun. Pictures soon!

That's to all who pushed me towards a less aggressive fit bike!