Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mounting Points on Carbon

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-22, 07:22 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts

Is there a reason, or reasons, one could not glue a hard point, or two, onto a carbon frame? The carbon fiber cloth is set in epoxy isn't it?
Down in "Touring" people are frequently asking about pannier mounts on carbon forks particularly.
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-22, 08:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Is there a reason, or reasons, one could not glue a hard point, or two, onto a carbon frame? The carbon fiber cloth is set in epoxy isn't it?
Down in "Touring" people are frequently asking about pannier mounts on carbon forks particularly.
Thanks in advance.
For mounting points I would want to mold those into the carbon fiber and have inserts that go all the way.
This would be a good example of what I am talking about:
https://tout-terrain.de/en/the-produ...q-touring-fork

There are other carbon forks with mounting points and many more coming but this one is semi unique in that it was designed specifically for touring and is non-tapered (they make a tapered fork as well) so it is a bit closer to a classic steel touring fork but with some modern touches.

Yes you could glue stuff onto a carbon fork but I wouldn't want to trust any of it to hold weight.
Old 11-09-22, 08:43 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
1) frame not designed for stress at those points,,,i.e no reinforcement at point of attachment and over all strength
2) a frame not just 'carbon fiber set in epoxy' it is (or should be in good quality) and engineered composite which use molding, vacuum bagging and a lot of other tech stuff to get optimum ratio of resin to fabric
3) putting anything on is more than slap some JB weld and stick it on.....would need prep (scuffing, degreasing) compatible epoxy (not from ace) with the frame, prober clamping

I personally would not do this, especially to a fork. gravel/bike packing/ touring forks with the hard point are designed for them and built heavier

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 11-09-22, 11:35 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
​​​​​​That would void of your warranty, too.
Old 11-10-22, 04:41 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Thanx all. Yes, I realize that a purpose built carbon fiber fork would probably have an augmented layup schedule the way of the hard point and just scabbing on something would be a second rate solution. I'm thinking more along the lines of a water bottle than a fifteen pound pannier.
The Tout Terrain fork is interesting. I have a TT Silk Road, in steel and it is quite hefty, and sturdy. Guess every little bit helps, but that fork is intended to be used with a dynamo front hub, and the Silk Road has an integral, steel, rear rack, welded to the frame.
Old 11-10-22, 06:59 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
maybe something likes this https://widefoot.com/product/cargomo...saAg8EEALw_wcB