Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I have feelings about the "Hand-Hammered" look in fenders and other things

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I have feelings about the "Hand-Hammered" look in fenders and other things

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-22, 11:16 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I'm guessing hammered fenders are standard equipment on bikes used for pub rides. Correct?
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-10-22, 11:35 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
It's freezing up here already. I wish I could imagine ordering a mojito at the bar.
but would that exclude beer, just because it is chilly? (from a guy who grew up in montana, where rules of the manhood required that you drink your illegal OLY bare handed at 20 below at alcohol hill)

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 11-10-22, 12:03 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
@Robvolz, no real harm done, imo. I cracked a beer to your mojito. Cheers.

I just bristle a little bit at the romanticizing of a lot of this stuff. Metal work is hard, dirty, and dangerous. I did it for years - sheet metal fab, wire fab, high-volume welding. I appreciate high skill as much as anybody, but I understand exactly why when a machine is chosen over hand forming. And the complaint threads would cue like clockwork if people had to pay for that when they wanted some fenders.
I was a production welder for most of my working life. I appreciate your sentiment.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 11-10-22, 12:11 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Reference:

Objects of Desire by Adrian Forty.
Design & Society from Wedgwood to IBM
Old 11-10-22, 12:18 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I was a production welder for most of my working life. I appreciate your sentiment.
There's still a small part of me that misses that. I don't miss the headaches from eight hours of stainless, though.

My truck might need some floor pans, so I might get to do it again this winter.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 11-10-22, 12:25 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Also, a scratch on a plain fender is easy to see, not so much on a hammered fender.
I like fenders- I've been rolling on a plastic set of SKS fenders- but I wanted aluminum. I don't particularly like the "hammered" effect so I went with the fluted fenders- and yup- scratches show up and your eye goes RIGHT to those scratches. Next set of fenders will be hammered.
Originally Posted by Robvolz

I wrote this post while waiting for word from the DR on my dog. I might have been in a bit of a mood. She will be fine they said.
I'm glad your dog is doing well. We lost a 20 year old sweet stripey cat friend this past weekend.

I own that toaster. I think toasters are fascinating.
Years ago, I read this article about toasters from the first half of the 20th century- I wish I could remember more about what it was about- except the race for the perfect piece of toast. As much as we take it for granted, toast was a big deal, and the electrical gizmos to make toast were expensive and status worthy. So you see those beautiful toasters, with the gleaming chrome and the fancy actions-

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 11-10-22, 12:30 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
There's still a small part of me that misses that. I don't miss the headaches from eight hours of stainless, though.

My truck might need some floor pans, so I might get to do it again this winter.
I never looked back. I hated welding but by all accounts was pretty good at it.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 11-10-22, 01:43 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Good to here that Greta should be ok.
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-10-22, 02:17 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
I humbly apologize for ruffling any feathers.

No need to bring up the C&V Sales debacle. I posted in the main forum section, then it was moved to sales. The ferocity of comments was surprising. The rules were explained to me and I haven't posted anything from the non-profit place I volunteer at since.

I don't care what people do with their bikes, their cars, or in the privacy of their homes.

I don't judge others for what they do or don't do.

I personally studied Industrial Design (non-credited courses, on-line) through RISD during covid where I learned much about history, trends and technology. The "Hammered" look was brought up more than once as a thing which used to be hand-crafted, but can now be replicated with machines. I'm not a luddite, but the HH represented something.

Regardless, I was bored in the vet hospital's waiting room and started a thread perhaps I shouldn't have.
Every day is Judgement Day at BF...
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 11-10-22, 02:18 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Hand hammered -

The original way to create shapes.

Taking out the indentations was nearly impossible (expensive, slow,...).

Hand hammering hardens the material (cold working). This stiffens and strengthens the material.

Has an aesthetic all its own - distinctive but "old timey" (IMO).

Was replaced by mass-produced deep drawn shapes.

Deep drawing has a very different aesthetic (smooth, highlights any bending).

HERE'S THE RUB - smooth surfaces show every single scratch, dimple and dent and once bent is difficult to bend back without showing the damage. By contrast, hand hammered surfaces are nothing but "damage".
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 11-10-22, 02:19 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,373 Times in 1,579 Posts
okay, we've discussed hammered fenders, but what about other hammered stuff?

I'm just thinking about hammered rivets on Brooks saddles. I've got older Brooks Professionals with medium sized copper rivets that don't have any hammer marks, but also a newer Pro with large, hammered rivets. I've also got a B.17 and a Swift with larger hammered rivets.

Legend says that the first Pro's with hammered rivets were Pro's where the rivets were removed, the leather was subjected to some special treatment to soften it up, and then re-riveted to the saddle frame. To make it look nice, larger rivets were needed to cover the area around the holes (no idea why), and the hammering was needed either to get that large rivet flush with the leather or shaped to match the leather's contours or some other reason.

Of course, that large hammered rivet became an indicator of some sort of prestige or extra value, so it became popular. As such, we find production Brooks models with large hammered rivets to this day. Is it wrong that I think they still look pretty cool?? ... maybe?...

On a somewhat similar theme... how do you feel about corrugated aircraft skins? Functional, or just for looks?

Ford Tri-motor:

Junkers Ju52:

The Junkers was being used as part of a marketing campaign for some high-end luggage that used corrugated metal on the exterior because... no idea why, but apparently it was novel and interesting. ... sorta like curly stays on a Hetchins?...

Steve in Peoria
(no hammered fenders yet),

Last edited by steelbikeguy; 11-10-22 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-10-22, 02:24 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Notice the smiling faces. Alright, @rccardr looks a bit grumpy.

Neither the fenders nor the rain/cold made me grumpy. Actually enjoyed the multiple lessons in Rain Fu.
It was...that other thing.
Yeah Doc, not being able to trust that your bike would point in the way you wanted it to must have been both scary and exhausting. I'm glad you found the root cause and fixed it, Your Davidson is too nice to not ride.
Old 11-10-22, 02:43 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
On a somewhat similar theme... how do you feel about corrugated aircraft skins? Functional, or just for looks?
It's practically impossible at this point not to bring up the Citroën H-series van.

-Kurt

Old 11-10-22, 02:47 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,683 Times in 2,609 Posts
^ You could certainly fit a lot of bikes with hammered fenders in that rig!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 11-10-22, 03:00 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I have a bike boom Takara I would like to put fenders on, but fenders seem to cost more than a Takara is worth.
Some of the bike boom brands that have little value are actually every bit as nice as their better known contemporaries. I realize Takara was best known for gas pipe entry level bikes but they did market some very nice mid level models as well. I'm always keeping an eye open for one of their top of the line road models to go with my '86 Highlander MTB. As far as collector value mine has zero value but with a Tange Cro-Moly frame and fork and full Suntour XC Sport components it's a damn nice bike just the same and one of my favorites. I don't know which Takara you have but if you like it and want fenders on it go for it.

One more gratuitous picture of my beloved Highlander......... Once upon a time I had actually considered putting a set of hammered aluminum fenders on it but they'd interfere with the rear roller cam brake.

Old 11-10-22, 03:04 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts
As a misguided youth I would get hammered on occasion, it never left me feeling very good the next day......
Old 11-10-22, 03:21 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by nlerner
^ You could certainly fit a lot of bikes with hammered fenders in that rig!
Oooh. We need the long-wheelbase variant.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 11-10-22, 03:38 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by cudak888
It's practically impossible at this point not to bring up the Citroën H-series van.

-Kurt
how did the French end up producing something that homely?
I don't expect French stuff to work all that well, but I do expect it to look good.
Sometimes they look good and work well, like the Stronglight roller bearing headsets that I'm very fond of.

... or maybe it was intentionally homely, as a way to shame the riders who ended up in the broom wagon?

Steve in Peoria
Old 11-10-22, 04:02 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

how did the French end up producing something that homely?
I don't expect French stuff to work all that well, but I do expect it to look good.
Sometimes they look good and work well, like the Stronglight roller bearing headsets that I'm very fond of.

... or maybe it was intentionally homely, as a way to shame the riders who ended up in the broom wagon?
Functional and cheap to manufacture.

Like a death stem.

-Kurt.

Old 11-10-22, 04:08 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
In college I used a temp work agency. They would send me on the oddest jobs, often for a week only.

It opened up my eyes to how things are made and what it cost. I tried my hand at a machine shop that used an English wheel. I have sooooo much respect for people who have mastered that craft. For someone to take a flat sheet of metal and create a complex curve still gladdens my heart.

For fun, I would hang in Russ Meek's shop in Milwaukee OR. He builds racing cars to beat records in Bonneville. He also recreated a custom fender for my Vespa sidecar. No job to big or small.

I'm also friends with many local frame builders and someday I might have one built for me.

You are correct, I have no idea how they can feed their family. Some of these guys put 100's of hours into their craft. But I respect the hell outta them.

I wrote this post while waiting for word from the DR on my dog. I might have been in a bit of a mood. She will be fine they said.

I think I'll head to the bar down the block and have a MOJITO. I've earned it.

Rant over.

Dealing with pet stuff? Rough. You definitely need a drink. I am glad she's gonna be ok. I will say that if your bar serves mojitos in Moscow mule mugs then I think you should find a different bar.
Likes For tricky:
Old 11-10-22, 04:13 PM
VRJAKE 

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 140 Posts
Wacky, the trends in this thread. Too new to it to not be somewhat astonished. Yet, may as well add a pic of fenders...woody style

Old 11-10-22, 04:16 PM
steelbikeguy

Functional and cheap to manufacture.

Like a death stem.

-Kurt.
I'm in favor of functional and cheap, but even the AVA stem that I used to own had some style. Incredibly flexy, but a bit of style. Scary flexy, to be honest.

The Citroen van looks more like something that VW would have come up with, not unlike The Thing (properly known as the Type 181, apparently).
Hard to believe that the Type 181 came from the same place as the neat little Porsche sports cars.

Steve in Peoria
Old 11-10-22, 04:19 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

I'm in favor of functional and cheap, but even the AVA stem that I used to own had some style. Incredibly flexy, but a bit of style. Scary flexy, to be honest.

The Citroen van looks more like something that VW would have come up with, not unlike The Thing (properly known as the Type 181, apparently).
Hard to believe that the Type 181 came from the same place as the neat little Porsche sports cars.

Steve in Peoria
Ok, FIFY:

Likes For cudak888:
Old 11-10-22, 04:46 PM
steelbikeguy

Ok, FIFY:

ooh! skirts on the rear wheel, white walls, and two-tone paint! Nicest tow truck of its era, I expect!
My faith in French style is restored.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 11-10-22, 04:57 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 661 Posts
"The Junkers was being used as part of a marketing campaign for some high-end luggage that used corrugated metal on the exterior because... no idea why, but apparently it was novel and interesting. ... sorta like curly stays on a Hetchins?..."
Steve in Peoria.

The Rimowa luggage is a different story. A German luggage house that built luggage the traditional way, wood frames, canvas or leather. For kicks they made some pieces from scrap from the Junkers airplane company.

The factory burned down. Going through the debris, they found the only thing still intact was the aluminum luggage and decided that was the direction they were going to go.

Last edited by Robvolz; 11-10-22 at 05:00 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.