Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is anyone using MOLLE

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Is anyone using MOLLE

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-22, 05:40 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Is anyone using MOLLE

MOLLE ("Molly") is the strap system you see on police and military gear. Basically a webbing strap stitched down every couple inches, repeated across the whole bag. This allows various little Lego-like attachments for pouches, sheaths, and lots of other things. The real stuff is overwhelmingly black and khaki, except for first aid kits which are often red. But so far in bike stuff I've only ever seen it sort of as a fashion flourish and perhaps not intended to be used, or maybe a few loops in a row and not the big grid. It seems like it should appeal to commuters, though.

https://www.511tactical.com/what-is-molle

Below is a 5.11 Tactical laptop backpack.

Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 11-11-22 at 06:34 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-11-22, 06:31 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Molle-like loops in two columns on my laptop bag. But they are oriented in the other direction, and wider. This does not satisfy the milspec...

Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-11-22, 06:44 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Here's a mounting panel I found for Rad Power e-bikes. At first glance looks susceptible to rub-through of the mounting straps

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1276139...ier-rack-molle

Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-12-22, 09:35 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
When my previous commute bag started wearing out I looked at a couple of backpacks like this. Ultimately, I bought the same bag I had been using since I had a "system" for packing and securing the bag.

However, with a new job, new commute and new bikes, this year seems to have been a year of review and revision concerning all things commuting, so I may revisit the bag thing again.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-12-22, 06:58 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I often reach to MOLLE stuff, because of the wide offering, common sense design and relatively low prices. Unfortunately the products are not designed for bikes but they tend to be good starting points. On two of my bikes I have, e.g., now MOLLE bottle pouches attached to the stems. I am about to replace one of them, again with a MOLLE bottle pouch, just more upscale.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 11-14-22, 10:25 PM
cabledawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I have a MOLLE backpack that I use as a day bag. Tons of various pouches to customize my carrying capabilities. Plus MOLLE pouches are easy to attach to other things as well such as bike frames and non-MOLLE bags. I have one pouch that houses the controller on my e-bike as it was thicker and more water repellant than the little cheap bag that came with it.
Old 11-18-22, 03:43 AM
kooby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I use a molle medical pouch mounted on my fork to hold spare tubes, patch kit, and tire levers. It's definitely a little heavier than some other options especially since it needs a special molle panel to attach to the fork like what darth lefty posted. But overall I like the organization options it offers and the water+dirt resistance is a nice plus. On my other bike I'm also using a magazine pouch as a saddle bag to hold tubes and tire levers, again the water resistance is nice, and i think the camo looks cool
Likes For kooby:
Old 11-21-22, 11:44 AM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
This thread reminds me of Austin Powers -