Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Help with damaged fork and bad experience with xfixxi bikes

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 11-11-22, 09:16 PM
Greiham

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a used xfixxi premiere urban track bike (47 xs) on the marketplace for $500 cad, it retails at $710 after taxes. I carefully conducted research online about them and all I keep finding are good reviews and how good and wholesome the company is, so I decided to buy the used fixed gear. Sadly my excitement to finally get my first fixed gear made me get tunnel visioned on checking out the second-hand bike that I was going to buy. I did not notice the sloping top tube which according to my friends, looks ****. I figured it might be because of the size (xs) and because it is a budget fixed-gear that they have to do it on smaller frames. (I'm trying to justify my purchase ) The first time I rode it on single speed it rode smooth, it was also my first time having 25mm tires and it felt fast! Until I calmed down a little and noticed that the bike is making weird sounds when I'm hitting the brake. I did a quick search online and it says that I should just adjust the stem so it compresses and does not wobble anymore. I tried doing that after flipping my hob to fixed gear, but I couldn't remove the wobble without the headset binding and being too tight. I tried following the advice of the owner and bought a new headset for $20 after tax and tried replacing it. This was the time I realized that the bearings are not damaged at all but just the fork. I tried removing the old internal bearing but I couldn't. I am planning to go to a bike shop soon after I find work since I'm an unemployed broke college student that wasted my entire money buying this fixed gear. I was heartbroken and regretted buying this specific brand so I searched the marketplace and I saw another bike just like mine but with a different headset, but the same handlebar. I talked to the seller and they said that they weren't the first owner and that the first owner probably changed the headset because it was wobbly too. I asked him if it was still wobbling and he honestly replied that when he uses the front brake it does. I'm left wondering if it was only us 2 or if more of these fixed-gear bikes by xfixxi has these problems. I'm not ****ting on the brand since all I heard were positive comments from them, it's just my first experience was too heartbreaking for me who is unable to get his bike fixed due to financial reasons. I know people might just say that I should find a job and get it fixed, or why would I spend my entire money on that bike? I'm sorry, I have been trying to find a job and my depression is just dragging me down, riding a bike is one of the few things that makes me happy, so I went all in. I had to sell my previous bike for this since I'm very interested in fixed gear and its culture, and now I'm left with a bike that I'm too afraid to use because it might break. I'm taking my time slowly fixing my mindset and trying to be positive so I can finally get a job and do things that I love but this setback is making my depression worse. I'm sorry for babbling, my question for everyone is, is the bike fork still usable and if I go to the bike shop how much should I expect to pay for changing the internal headset? I can't seem to attach the files so I'll just paste the link here (/NHpYJV1) (/0HsNBUp) and (/VSsuikE) all with imgur dot com at the front. (I can't upload pictures yet since I don't have 10 posts)
Old 11-11-22, 09:34 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
It looks like there's a mismatch in the headset parts and serious damage to the steerer tube on the fork. Where are the bearings ? I certainly would not ride it without having a bike shop at least look at it.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 11-12-22, 08:59 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Yes, what he said. Something is definitely up. Is going back to the seller an option? Whatever is currently wrong with it was certainly wrong when you purchased it from them. Maybe they will do the stand-up thing and at least give you some money back with which to have it looked at. Are there any bike co-ops in your area? They might have someone who is knowledgeable and can assess what is wrong and whether the fork is salvageable. They might also have cheap parts with which to fix it.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 11-12-22, 11:22 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Kudos to both TejanoTrackie and TugaDude for reading that wall of text. I can't do it, my brain is like "goodbye"

Greiham if you want to post pictures you should get involved with the forums assuming you like bikes, there are tons of active threads all over the place that are waiting for involvement from members new and old. Just please keep in mind an entire wall of text is really hard to read and turns people off from your post. It is especially frustrating when you want help because like I said at the start my brain shuts off when I see a wall of text and cannot process it all. Using some proper spacing will greatly help you out and make everything more readable.

That all being said it sounds like from the two previous posters that you need to go to your local shop or a qualified mechanic who knows what they are doing to assess the issue. They can give you an estimate on what it would take to get it running safely and if it was a problem at the time of purchase than I would go to the seller and see what you can do with them if anything.
Likes For veganbikes: