Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clean-up to a milestone

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Clean-up to a milestone

Old 11-13-22, 04:33 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Clean-up to a milestone

Or maybe that should be clean-up to a kilometerstone. I spent part of the afternoon organizing my tools which were scattered across the chaotic wilderness of my garage, basement, several toolboxes and other containers. In the process I discovered I had seven, count 'em, seven, 6mm Allen wrenches. Every time I'd buy something which needed a 6mm it came with one in the box. Plus I have rescued a few lost on the road. Nobody loses any other size, just 6mm. I also discovered (as I already knew) I still had all three of those little Mafac wrenches which came with the Mafac Racer brakes on my Peugeot UO8.

Which brings me to the milestone. Looking at those brake wrenches I realized that as of this summer that faithful Peugeot is now 50 years old. It's the only bike I bought new. It has seen commuter service to four jobs, university summer courses, and grad school, been through heat, rain, and cold, made one camping tour truncated due to torrential rain, been ridden through five states, taken on pavement and dirt and come through victorious. It has seen upgrades, retrograde back to almost original condition, upgraded again, It wears the first wheel I ever built (and is still going strong). It has rolled the Park Loop Road and climbed Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park. It wore a brace of generator-powered lights for part of its life, useful for commuting home at night. Now it is equipped as a ready-to-run sport road bike. I still ride that UO8 almost every day. For the last two years it has been my go-to bike on a trainer in the living room. Whatever "inoxydable" steel they used is remarkable. "Inoxydable" is probably misspelled; I would check it except that the bike's sticker is long gone. The rest of the paint is just fine, though with some scratches here and there.

I don't expect to be around fifty years from now, but it wouldn't surprise me if that bike is.
Old 11-13-22, 05:33 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Dear Jim, the title pulled me in and I am happy that it has happened. While I am an ex-owner of 3 Peugeot bikes I am still an "Italian bike guy", but this is simply beautiful. I don't know how old you were when you got that Peugeot but I wish both of you a good health and plenty of more miles with load of fun!

Lattz
Old 11-13-22, 06:39 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
Congrats on on the Peugeot! One of the great iconic 10 speeds. I know they spun my hat around 50 years ago and still do.
I left the 6 mm on my truck bed-rail and drove off.

Last edited by BTinNYC; 11-13-22 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-13-22, 06:51 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Originally Posted by Lattz
Dear Jim, the title pulled me in and I am happy that it has happened. While I am an ex-owner of 3 Peugeot bikes I am still an "Italian bike guy", but this is simply beautiful. I don't know how old you were when you got that Peugeot but I wish both of you a good health and plenty of more miles with load of fun!

Lattz
Thank you, @Lattz.

For the record, I was 22 when I bought that bike. (In two days I will gain yet another year.) I too am at least partly an Italian bike guy. but a French bike guy too, have three and love them all. Edit: No, make that four. I forgot about the tandem. When I bought that bike I could never in my wildest dreams have foreseen the future that came to be. Now I am starting to give bikes away. That UO8 will not be one of them.

Last edited by jimmuller; 11-13-22 at 06:55 PM. Reason: I forgot one.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 11-13-22, 07:58 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
Jim, I believe the first time we met in person I also met your Peugeot. I need to look for a picture.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 11-13-22, 09:17 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Jim, I believe the first time we met in person I also met your Peugeot. I need to look for a picture.
Hmm. If that was your Hills And Rails (? - I forget the exact name you used) ride, I was on the Raleigh Gran Sport. I rode the UO8 on your ride up the Great North Rail Trail.

How you doin' these days? We're fine but not riding outdoors much.
Old 11-14-22, 02:02 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Jim,

poidh.
Old 11-14-22, 04:50 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked 891 Times in 470 Posts
I love to hear stories of dedication to one's bike. How did you set up the UO-8 to get up Cadillac Mountain?
Any maintenance going-on for it, this winter?
Old 11-14-22, 05:03 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
I don't expect to be around fifty years from now, but it wouldn't surprise me if that bike is.
Never know... You may still be riding it..
I have an old schwinn, my dad bought it in the 1960's,
Old 11-14-22, 05:05 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
I have at least two bikes that turned 50 this year. I am not the original owner of either bike. In 1972 I was riding a Schwinn Varsity and it is long gone. My first decent bike was my Kabuki Diamond Formula which I bought new in 1976 and still own. Congratulations on you and your bike’s milestone .
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 11-14-22, 06:01 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Jim,

poidh.
I was able to dig up some pics from the run up the Great North Rail Trail (I think it is called). Pastor Bob led Prowler and myself on a cool adventure.

In the bike's recent (circa. 2011) quasi-retrograde phase.

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I love to hear stories of dedication to one's bike. How did you set up the UO-8 to get up Cadillac Mountain?
Any maintenance going-on for it, this winter?
Since you asked... For the run up Cadillac it was more or less like you see in the "Boston 100" pic above and as it is now, a stripped road bike. Most of the mods are upgrades I made long ago. Sugino Maxy crank w/48-32 rings, Suntour FW, Suntour VGT-Lux derailleurs w/Simplex DT levers (which I installed in place of the original stem shifters about 1973), MKS pedals w/ clips&straps, SR alloy bar with the original headset and AVA stem, alloy Simplex seat post, WTB Speed V saddle, Shimano 600 hubs (the original version), 27" Sun M13-II rims w/32mm Panaracer Tourguard tires, the original Mafac brakes but with newer pads, and of course the bottle cage and pump.

No maintenance planned but it could use some cleaning!

Last edited by jimmuller; 11-14-22 at 11:11 AM. Reason: duh...
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 11-14-22, 07:00 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
@jimmuller - I envy you keeping your UO-8. I purchased mine in about 1968 and sold it in 1972. Rode the bearings off it. At the time, I didn't know I could have repaired it. Young and ignorant at the time. With all the traveing from the age of 13, I didn't really have a base to grow up with that would have taught me more about bikes. I regret selling it. Good on you!
Here is a picture from 1971, IIRC
PBPeugeot on Flickr

I had two sets of wheels for it, clincher and sewups. Bought it in Frankfurt, Germany and used it to commute to work. I spent a school year in Austria and rode it nearly every day with a couple of 50 milers in less than 3 hours. It last place with me was in eastern Washington while in college. Did a lot of riding there too in the wheat field countryside. Great memories!

Last edited by SJX426; 11-14-22 at 07:09 AM.
Likes For SJX426:
Old 11-14-22, 07:08 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Hmm. If that was your Hills And Rails (? - I forget the exact name you used) ride, I was on the Raleigh Gran Sport. I rode the UO8 on your ride up the Great North Rail Trail.

How you doin' these days? We're fine but not riding outdoors much.
Jim, my foggy senior memory must be slipping. I was remembering the UO8 from another ride. I did dig through pictures and remember this one from that first ride we took?

(Jim on the far left)

Thanks for posting the Rail Trail ride we did with Prowler. That was a great day! We are doing great and I'm riding more than ever. Retirement is a blast.

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 11-14-22, 07:09 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked 891 Times in 470 Posts
Most of the mods are upgrades I made long ago. Sugino Maxy crank w/48-32 rings, Suntour FW, Suntour VGT-Lux derailleurs
Did you have a 28T low cog on the free-wheel?
Old 11-14-22, 07:38 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
..."Inoxydable" is probably misspelled..
Jim, your memory is the correct spelling. I am sure as I re-built my 1972 UO-8 for my granddaughter who now rides it and I got the correct decals from Cyclomondo with the two INOXYDABLE bands, black with gold letters. Bought the bike in 1972 with my first GI Bill check to get to class, it was a lot then for me if I recall less than $100 out the door.
Old 11-14-22, 08:27 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,572 Times in 2,580 Posts
Jim, my foggy senior memory must be slipping. I was remembering the UO8 from another ride. I did dig through pictures and remember this one from that first ride we took?

(Jim on the far left)

Thanks for posting the Rail Trail ride we did with Prowler. That was a great day! We are doing great and I'm riding more than ever. Retirement is a blast.
I'm fairly sure that Jim was on his Raleigh Gran Sport on that ride (of which I am now proud caretaker!). I was on my orange Ebisu and had a nasty death wobble on the descent heading to that dump spot. I remember FTW saying something along the lines, in his SoCal way, "Dude, I thought I was going to have to bunny hop you!"
Likes For nlerner:
Old 11-14-22, 08:33 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by nlerner
...I was on my orange Ebisu and had a nasty death wobble on the descent heading to that dump spot. I remember FTW saying something along the lines, in his SoCal way, "Dude, I thought I was going to have to bunny hop you!"
I spy that orange bike in the photo below.

Old 11-14-22, 04:58 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

I spy that orange bike in the photo below.
And I spy the blue Gran Sport at the far end.
That was fun ride. As I recall, we ran off and dropped nlerner without realizing it. (Sorry. We should have been paying more attention.) Fortunately he has a good enough sense of direction that he found his way back and happened to fall into our return route near the end.
I recall that junkyard, err, excuse me, that recycling center stop too.

@1989Pre asks:
Did you have a 28T low cog on the free-wheel?
I believe so. That gives me a low of about 31. If I went any slower I'd fall over. But at least I use'ta could climb most hills with it.
Old 11-20-22, 04:00 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Jim,
poidh.
I found some pics from the ride up Cadillac Mt. Here is one that my sweetie snapped after meeting me at the top. This was September 2016.

That dear old UO8 is still the same, even to the Eclipse bag which has had several seams come apart. It does need some maintenance now though. The FD has stiffened up. The big chainring is getting a bit long in the tooth, or rather, a bit shark-toothed in the tooth. Riding on a trainer doesn't require much shifting.

A few I took on the ride up:

Last edited by jimmuller; 11-20-22 at 04:14 PM.
Likes For jimmuller: