Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

General Deterioration of These Forums

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-21, 12:07 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts

There are a few blowhards which have effectively ruined this Bike Forum. These trolling posters, some averaging over 10 posts a day are dominating most conversations taking away any reasonable discourse in almost every category. Many instances a new member may ask an innocent question and then be pounced on by the usual abusive mega posters weighing in whether they know anything about the issue or not but rather their inner beliefs and quickly turn on the new poster for some ridiculous reason. As these forums are run for profit and benefit from new views, my hope is the administrators and us members take some action against the few lonely fools who need to hear themselves rant and yell at clouds because no one in their personal lives will listen. I am sure new member counts are dropping because of this trend.
Old 11-14-21, 12:45 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
I couldn’t agree more. As I peruse the thread titles I often (only half jokingly) wonder if I’m in some off-topic forum.
Likes For sarhog:
Old 11-14-21, 12:58 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
As the saying goes, "every dog's got a few fleas". Just put those folks on 'ignore', report them and the problem should solve itself. Some 'newbies' don't seem to be browsing all the subforums before posting, just going straight for the 'General' section, but that's understandable. A lot of forums have died over the last decade as folks have migrated to Facebook and other platforms, but BF seems to be doing OK in terms of overall activity.
Likes For skidder:
Old 11-14-21, 01:29 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,228 Posts
I usually skip threads like this
And every other one I may not like.

I think BF is great. I get what I want, in a relatively focused number of threads on several sub-Forums. And buy nice parts. And meet nice people.

Read more in Mechanics or the various Ride threads. Even your local Regional discussion. Share some pics.

edit: besides winter is coming. It’s gonna get worse, lotsa folks would rather whine than put on the long sleeves/jacket and ride.
re-edit: had to check = 11,229 posts over 17 years means I’m well under 2 posts per day. So if I blow, it’s not too hard!

Diventa di nuovo un ciclista oggi!

Baaaaaaaah

clear your handlebars and your mind will follow.

Last edited by Wildwood; 11-14-21 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-14-21, 01:36 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
There are a few blowhards which have effectively ruined this Bike Forum. These trolling posters, some averaging over 10 posts a day are dominating most conversations taking away any reasonable discourse in almost every category.
Atlas, I agree. After reading Bike Forums for years, I have started to use the Ignore function to block posts from a very few members who talk too much and add too little. It's made a positive difference to my experience, I wish I'd done it sooner. I'd like a similar setting that would allow me to not see certain threads, like the recurring endless threads about Why We Do/Don't Need 1X/2X/3X. I just don't read them, but I'd like to block them.

But the great majority of Bike Forum members are so very helpful! They share a vast collective experience, and are kind to Newbies and Oldies alike. I have learned so much here and have gotten great help. And many of the members are wicked funny, which I enjoy.

Use that Ignore List, it makes a difference.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 11-14-21, 02:26 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
my hope is the administrators and us members take some action
Sorry, not a democracy. We members don't have a vote. Use the ignore feature. I do agree that it would be nice to have a feature that would make selected threads disappear entirely. Be helpful for most polls and "how much? how many? do you?" threads.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 11-14-21 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-14-21, 02:32 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
There are a few blowhards which have effectively ruined this Bike Forum. These trolling posters, some averaging over 10 posts a day are dominating most conversations taking away any reasonable discourse in almost every category. Many instances a new member may ask an innocent question and then be pounced on by the usual abusive mega posters weighing in whether they know anything about the issue or not but rather their inner beliefs and quickly turn on the new poster for some ridiculous reason. As these forums are run for profit and benefit from new views, my hope is the administrators and us members take some action against the few lonely fools who need to hear themselves rant and yell at clouds because no one in their personal lives will listen. I am sure new member counts are dropping because of this trend.
I think the moderators have been doing a great job is weeding out trolls and inappropriate posts...I know I posted few things which were not right and right away the mods dealt with it, I don't have a problem with that...If you don't like somebody just because they disagree with you or if you find their replies offensive, then ignore their replies and don't engage in a debate with them. The mods are already doing their job and there is no need for regular members to start telling everybody how they should conduct themselves.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-14-21, 02:33 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Just avoid chain lube threads and leg shaving threads and you'll be fine.
Old 11-14-21, 02:39 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I learned to use the ignore feature just a few weeks ago. As long as I'm logged-in I can't see his posts. Unfortunately, he can still see mine and if somebody else responds to him, I can see his post again.

So if you want to maintain the integrity of any thread, just utilize the ignore feature and skip the post of anybody responding to that troll.

(The reason why Parler failed was because the trolls had nobody to troll since all the members think alike. Trolls feed on deteriorating any discussion.)

Last edited by Daniel4; 11-14-21 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-14-21, 02:41 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
As has been said on many platforms...

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS

Use the Ignore function. Unfortunately, others sometimes quote someone you have on your Ignore list as they (hopelessly) try to make their own point, or defend their own beliefs. I wish the Ignore was more like a Block function, so it would be impossible for you to see any of their posts, any quotes of their posts, and they would also be unable to see anything you post.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 11-14-21, 02:52 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
It's Social Skills and Patience... Sometimes we get some guy trying to understand how his new Brifters need to be adjusted and they really don't know the right end of a screw driver. But that's OK because they want to know. Sometimes its hard not to slam someone who is looking for that Comfortable Seat or a Better Lube. And then again sometimes ya get a person coming into the forum who happens to be a Mechanical Engineer with 50 years ridding experience, a sctorage shed full of old bikes, and a full work shop in his living room. We need to treat them all with a good welcome and friendly conversation. Most of the members on the BF appear to be of older age. That means often we can come off more cranky than we really are... Ha
Old 11-14-21, 03:22 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Leg shaving threads are the minor league compared to disc vs. rim brake threads. But, that will change once Big Bike forces everyone to shave their legs. 🙂
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-14-21, 03:24 PM
Gravel Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 63 Posts
Don't forget touring vs bike packing.
Likes For Gravel Rider:
Old 11-14-21, 05:18 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
You think that Bike Forums is bad? You should see the El Toro Poo Poo that gets posted on Usenet groups such as rec.bicycles.tech Start a thread about anything bicycling related there and within a couple of posts the thread is usually hijacked to something totally unrelated to bicycling. I really like Bike Forums and I think that the moderators do a great job.

I've also had a lot of help from members here in acquiring parts to fix up some of my old bikes that I wanted to put original stuff on.

Be glad, VERY glad that Bike Forums is as great as it is.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 11-14-21, 05:29 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
And waving.
Old 11-14-21, 05:35 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,603 Times in 3,467 Posts
I’d sure like to hear about it when someone is seriously giving my new members a hard time. Red button works.
Old 11-14-21, 05:58 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Leg shaving threads are the minor league compared to disc vs. rim brake threads. But, that will change once Big Bike forces everyone to shave their legs. 🙂
What’s the right gearing for me?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-14-21, 05:58 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

^^^BillyD has this one right. IMO, newbies are treated well here and with patience. When this is not the case, it usually involves something like "I'm a stud in the weight room and you guys are doing this cycling thing all wrong." Or someone asks a basic mechanical question and then wants to argue with the replies because he was able to fix his dishwasher w/o buying any more tools. As they used to say "garbage in, garbage out." Furthermore, there actually are a few cycling sites less tolerant of fools and trolls but the volume just isn't there. I don't see any deterioration, pretty much same as always, pluses and minuses.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 11-14-21, 06:09 PM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Unreal, I was getting ready to start a similar thread.

I often see newbies get abused by know-it-all senior members …. doesn’t make for a welcoming site.

If you don’t like their comments, just ignore them rather than writing snarky comments.
Likes For bikehoco:
Old 11-14-21, 06:16 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by bikehoco
Unreal, I was getting ready to start a similar thread.

I often see newbies get abused by know-it-all senior members …. doesn’t make for a welcoming site.

If you don’t like their comments, just ignore them rather than writing snarky comments.
Maybe I've missed this, I don't read all the forums. How about some examples/links?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 11-14-21, 07:12 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
When I start a new thread, I do a search in Google and then the BF if there is another thread like it.

If there is an older thread discussing the same thing you want to discuss, one of two things will happen. Someone will tell you there's another thread OR someone will criticize you for resurrecting a zombie thread.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 11-14-21, 07:22 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
The forum is whatever we make it, so make it better.

Be helpful, stay away from topics you don't like, notify the mods when someone's a jerk, and use the ignore button.
Old 11-14-21, 07:38 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
Don't shave your legs, wax them!! But seriously, why is this thread in 'General Cycling Discussions'? Reads more like 'Foo'
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 11-14-21, 07:44 PM
Gravel Rider

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
Don't shave your legs, wax them!! But seriously, why is this thread in 'General Cycling Discussions'? Reads more like 'Poo'
fixt.
Likes For Gravel Rider:
Old 11-14-21, 07:47 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Be helpful, stay away from topics you don't like, notify the mods when someone's a jerk, and use the ignore button.
Yeah, I just steer myself away from the obvious train wrecks and it works out.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.