Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Paved route from Sunriver to Bend?

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-22, 02:45 PM
MiPeGr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Looking at visiting Bend some time in the late spring (May), and looking at putting some loops together. What I'm not seeing is a good paved route from Sunriver to Bend (west side, Century Drive area).
The shoulder on 97 looks fairly wide, the last time I was down there it seemed like it was in good condition. Is it crazy to consider riding from Sunriver to Bend on 97? Will there still be a ton of gravel on the shoulder that time of year? Is there another lower-traffic option? I'm not seeing one, but I'm hoping that someone more familiar with the area can provide better info.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-22, 11:03 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Originally Posted by MiPeGr
Looking at visiting Bend some time in the late spring (May), and looking at putting some loops together. What I'm not seeing is a good paved route from Sunriver to Bend (west side, Century Drive area).
The shoulder on 97 looks fairly wide, the last time I was down there it seemed like it was in good condition. Is it crazy to consider riding from Sunriver to Bend on 97? Will there still be a ton of gravel on the shoulder that time of year? Is there another lower-traffic option? I'm not seeing one, but I'm hoping that someone more familiar with the area can provide better info.

Thanks!
It isn't crazy to ride Hwy 97. I don't believe there's any other reasonable paved route that wouldn't be incredibly longer. More than likely there will still be gravel on the shoulder in May.
Gravel Route 1.
Gravel Route 2
Single Track Route
Old 01-17-22, 12:13 PM
MiPeGr

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the info. I may have found a mostly-paved way that would work as well. I'll post it to this thread when I get a chance.

Apparently ODOT and the FS are working on a paved route from Sunriver to Lava Butte, and then Lava Butte into Bend. But it's in the scoping/route alternatives/EIS stage now. Construction not expected to begin until Spring 2023.
Old 01-18-22, 09:27 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Thanks for the info. I may have found a mostly-paved way that would work as well. I'll post it to this thread when I get a chance.

Apparently ODOT and the FS are working on a paved route from Sunriver to Lava Butte, and then Lava Butte into Bend. But it's in the scoping/route alternatives/EIS stage now. Construction not expected to begin until Spring 2023.
Cool. That area keeps growing. If you have the time, there are quite a few nice rides you'll be able to do while you're there.
Old 01-18-22, 10:46 AM
MiPeGr

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
More rides than available time! I definitely know I can't go on big adventures 5 days in a row...I'd be wrecked.
Old 01-18-22, 11:15 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Have a look at the Strava global heat map for the area, there's usually a good reason people are choosing the roads they ride on.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-21-22, 07:26 PM
SteveE
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gravel Route 1 (with one revision) is certainly doable on a road bike. Revision: from Benham Falls take the unpaved access road (FS-400) to Conklin Rd (NF-41) to Century Drive, cross over to the Cascade Lakes Welcome Center and take the bike path (recently repaved between The Loge and Mammoth Drive) into town. Probably want to ride on 28cm tires.

This would be a nicer ride than Hwy 97, IMO. Only 3 miles unpaved from East Benham Falls TH to NF-41.
Old 04-23-22, 09:14 PM
MiPeGr

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
That sounds very similar to what I had plotted out for myself. Thanks for the tip.
May be moot, at least in the short term, though. Doesn't look like that trip is going to happen.
Old 05-18-22, 11:15 AM
Oreamnos
Newbie, sort of

Bikes: 1991 Paramount OS, 1989 Trek 660, 2000 Stumpjumper Comp M2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There's already a paved route from Sunriver (near Circle 7) to Lava Butte. But from there, if you want to stay on paved roads, 97 is pretty much your only choice.