Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Another “which BB tool” thread, thanks

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-22, 11:17 AM
rmwesley

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts

Hi,

Could anyone advise on a suitable tool to remove the BB from a 1995 Specialized Hardrock GS? I seem to have loads but nothing with the right combination / spacing of notches.

Many thanks, Richard

Old 01-29-22, 11:26 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The universal hook end wrench has one hook so is compatible with all lockrings that have at least one notch. Sugino, Hozan, Park, ATD, Bicycle Research (and likely others) all made them. In a pinch (bad pun coming) one could use a large slip joint pliers and mar the lockring but it will do the job.

The cup will use a common pin tool. Either an adjustable or a fixed (at the right distance apart) one. Park, Campy, Var, Bicycle Research Sugino and Shimano (among others) all made them. The Park SPA-1 (green) is what many use as it's low cost and adjustable.

The fixed cup likely has 32mm between the flats. These wrenches are also made by mentioned companies. Do know the fixed cup will be REALLY tight (hence the term "fixed") and any wrench will want to slip off the cup unless it's bolted down against the cup. A simple large bolt and big washers do this. Andy
Old 01-29-22, 11:35 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,202 Times in 2,358 Posts
You need at least 2 tools and maybe 3. The HCW-5 will work on the lockring. Use the 3 pin part but if you are unlucky, you can use the hook spanner. For the pins, use the HCW-4 tool. The other end of the HCW-4 is used for removing the fixed cup. If the pins on the HCW-4 don’t fit, you may need to use a HCW-5 pin spanner. Check the bottom bracket service page on the Park site for how to use the tools.

I would suggest using this method for servicing the bottom bracket. I find that starting with the fixed cup removal rather than the adjustable cup is much easier with the tool modification in the link.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-29-22, 11:37 AM
rmwesley

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The universal hook end wrench has one hook so is compatible with all lockrings that have at least one notch. Sugino, Hozan, Park, ATD, Bicycle Research (and likely others) all made them. In a pinch (bad pun coming) one could use a large slip joint pliers and mar the lockring but it will do the job. Andy
Many thanks for such a quick reply Andy. I’ve got a universal, single hook tool but can’t seem to get enough purchase to shift the lockring. Was wondering if there were any multi-hook tools about which would provide better grip. I can’t see any on Park Tools which is my normal go-to option. Thanks again.
Old 01-29-22, 11:44 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Yes there are multi hooked wrenches but the ring's diameter becomes a factor as well as the notch spacing. This is when one finds that the tool made for one brand lockring almost but not quite fits another brand ring. Another option is to use a hammer and a punch/chisel/flat bladed screwdriver. Place the tip in a notch, close to a tangent to the ring, and hammer the other end till the ring begins to move. Then use the hook wrench. Andy
Old 01-29-22, 11:45 AM
rmwesley

Originally Posted by cyccommute
You need at least 2 tools and maybe 3. The HCW-5 will work on the lockring. Use the 3 pin part but if you are unlucky, you can use the hook spanner. For the pins, use the HCW-4 tool. The other end of the HCW-4 is used for removing the fixed cup. If the pins on the HCW-4 don’t fit, you may need to use a HCW-5 pin spanner. Check the bottom bracket service page on the Park site for how to use the tools.

I would suggest using this method for servicing the bottom bracket. I find that starting with the fixed cup removal rather than the adjustable cup is much easier with the tool modification in the link.
many thanks for this, brilliant advice
Old 01-29-22, 11:49 AM
rmwesley

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Yes there are multi hooked wrenches but the ring's diameter becomes a factor as well as the notch spacing. This is when one finds that the tool made for one brand lockring almost but not quite fits another brand ring. Another option is to use a hammer and a punch/chisel/flat bladed screwdriver. Place the tip in a notch, close to a tangent to the ring, and hammer the other end till the ring begins to move. Then use the hook wrench. Andy
Thanks Andy, I’ll give the punch a go. I’ve got one to hand
Old 01-29-22, 01:01 PM
rmwesley

Punch worked like a charm. All now apart. Thanks both for your help.
Likes For rmwesley:
Old 01-29-22, 08:34 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
A lockring pliers like the VAR-16 or Hozan C-203 provides a secure grip on any lockring with an even number of notches. An adjustable pin tool can deal with the adjustable cup if your current pin tool doesn't fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
var-16.jpg (52.4 KB, 107 views)
hozan-c203.jpg (33.6 KB, 104 views)
atd-pin.jpg (38.1 KB, 104 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-30-22, 01:52 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
I realize I'm late, but FWIW I've just used needle nose pliers for adjustable cups like that. With the lockring removed they should never be tight unless the threads are bunged up.

Lots of ways to remove the fixed cup and lockring, including some good suggestions here.

Some suggest leaving the fixed cup alone but I always remove it on bikes I'm not familiar with. Surprisingly often, it's loose. Regardless, it's good to remove it and grease the threads so it can be (more easily) removed at some point in the future.
Likes For FastJake:
Old 01-30-22, 02:11 PM
TPL

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
When lubricating threads on frame bottom bracket and cups ....apply grease to frame ....then, oil to threads of the cup
Old 02-01-22, 06:04 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Most often, I find the “hook” wrenches less than satisfying to use . The “punch” method usually works well but I’ve learned using one that is “softer” than the steel of the locking ring does the least amount of damage. Unless the locking ring is rusted to the adjustable cup, a few taps on the drift placed (as mentioned) tangentially to a notch on the ring will loosen it. Also as mentioned, once the locking ring is removed, again unless the adjustable cup is rusted to the frame, it’s generally easily removed. I have pin spanners but if I’m not close to my bike tool box, I’ve used the needle nose pliers technique.
While it isn’t always necessary to remove the fixed cup, I usually do to better clean out the threads of the bottom bracket. 32mm may be a common distance across the flats but I’ve many times had to use a 36mm wrench. Using a large washer to hold the wrench against the fixed cup IS very helpful AND don’t forget that most often (except on some European frames) the drive side is “left hand threaded”!
Likes For sovende:
Old 02-07-22, 01:01 AM
rmwesley

Originally Posted by TPL
When lubricating threads on frame bottom bracket and cups ....apply grease to frame ....then, oil to threads of the cup
Hi, hadn’t heard of using oil on the cup threads. Is this standard practice? Thanks
Old 02-07-22, 01:07 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by rmwesley
Hi, hadn’t heard of using oil on the cup threads. Is this standard practice? Thanks
I would say grease on both is more standard.