Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bag for Transporting Bike (wheels off, in car)

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-22, 05:14 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts

A couple times a year I want to bring my bike somewhere and there is limited space in my vehicle (packed with other stuff for family getaways). If I could put it in a bag, with the wheels off, that would reduce the space. I could also lower or remove the seatpost. Any bags that are somewhat durable and perhaps for another purpose that may work? I was thinking of a hockey bag or massage table bag, but need to take some measurements of my bike with wheels removed to see. It’s a drop bar road style bike with no racks. Thanks!

Last edited by Noonievut; 02-22-22 at 05:59 AM.
Old 02-22-22, 06:10 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Pick up a cheap plastic tarp to wrap it.

Rinko bike bags (google it) usually involve fork removal which I suspect you do not want to do.

Or get a cheap bike bag from Nashbar or Performance.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 02-22-22, 07:15 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Pick up a cheap plastic tarp to wrap it.

Rinko bike bags (google it) usually involve fork removal which I suspect you do not want to do.

That plus some bungee cords may be the ticket
Old 02-22-22, 10:58 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
The Transit one from them has worked well for me. I have used it to fly to a number of tours checking it as a checked bag. I managed to get all my UL gear in with the bike and still stay within the 50# limit, It rode in the car fine and flew safely with some cardboard added to protect the bike. They are pretty inxpensive to start with and go on sale often.

If you need more stuff a second checked or a carry on bag may be required for flying to a tour. Not an issue for just carrying the bike in the car, but for that I have never bothered with any bag. I guess I beat up my cars pretty bad. It does perpetually have a tarp in the back on the seat where my muddy dog tends to jump in and out.

Last edited by staehpj1; 02-22-22 at 11:04 AM.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 02-22-22, 11:58 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
You should be able to purchase wheel bags, at least for certain tire/wheel sizes. I've seen them for racers that may have "race day wheels".

for the rest of the bike? I've found bags for folders.

I don't do a lot of sewing, but I'd probably take the measurements, get some waterproof ripstop nylon, perhaps a zipper, and sew up a custom bag. It doesn't have to be perfect as it would conform to the bike.
Old 02-22-22, 12:55 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
A front fork without a wheel might puncture a tarp. When a bike is shipped from a manufacturer to a bike shop in a box, the front fork has a sacrificial plastic piece to prevent that. You might want to see if any local bike shops have any in their recycle bin that have not yet been discarded.

And you probably should pull the pedals off, I assume you know how to do that. If you have not done that, one side is left hand thread. A pedal wrench can be useful for that as most conventional wrenches do not fit on pedals which usually take a narrower wrench or a long armed allen wrench.

You are less likely to mess up your gearing if you load it in the car with the drive side up, assuming the bike is on top. That way nothing would bend the rear derailleur hanger.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: