Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

WD40 Anti-Rust on BB threads

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-08-22, 09:42 AM
Anfieldtramp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi all,

While rust-proofing a new steel frame recently with WD40 Corrosion Inhibitor (basically a fancier type of WD40 that is supposed to help with preventing rust), I accidentally got some on the BB threads. I didn't notice this till it already dried. It is not a lot, but enough to be noticeable. Is this a bad thing? I saw a YouTube video where the mechanic cautioned against getting framesaver on the BB threads. And if it is a bad thing, how do I remove it? Do I try using regular WD40 and wiping with a cloth?
Old 03-08-22, 10:14 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 247 Posts
There's quite a bit of discussion about this cheap penetrant, this one may be related to your concerns:

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...urt-tires.html

I would wash the whole bike with your fave bike soap, and then avoid using WD40 at all.

All rust inhibitors don't work if dirt is left there to keep things moist and mushy.

Regularly washing a bike and having it lazily drip-dry will be more effective.

Despite how crappy WD40 is, it will penetrate when left over long periods of time, and you don't want any of it to mix with any lube, especially in the BB.
Old 03-08-22, 10:16 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
You could always ask a local shop to chase the BB threads. It only takes a few minutes and should be cheap.
Old 03-08-22, 10:22 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Anfieldtramp
Hi all,

While rust-proofing a new steel frame recently with WD40 Corrosion Inhibitor (basically a fancier type of WD40 that is supposed to help with preventing rust), I accidentally got some on the BB threads. I didn't notice this till it already dried. It is not a lot, but enough to be noticeable. Is this a bad thing? I saw a YouTube video where the mechanic cautioned against getting framesaver on the BB threads. And if it is a bad thing, how do I remove it? Do I try using regular WD40 and wiping with a cloth?
An old tooth brush and a little WD40 or mineral spirits will do what you want but I wouldn't even worry about it. It's probably just a little waxy oily residue.
Old 03-08-22, 10:43 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
There's quite a bit of discussion about this cheap penetrant, this one may be related to your concerns:

I would wash the whole bike with your fave bike soap, and then avoid using WD40 at all.

All rust inhibitors don't work if dirt is left there to keep things moist and mushy.

Regularly washing a bike and having it lazily drip-dry will be more effective.

Despite how crappy WD40 is, it will penetrate when left over long periods of time, and you don't want any of it to mix with any lube, especially in the BB.
I believe the OP is talking about internally rustproofing a steel frame and some ended up in the BB threads.

Wire or tooth brush and some mineral spirits rags and clean it out.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-08-22, 11:10 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I believe the OP is talking about internally rustproofing a steel frame and some ended up in the BB threads.
Need the OP to provide more info, but that also sounds peculiar.
Old 03-08-22, 11:17 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Common really to rustproof a steel frame internally, in fact they make products specifically for that.
Once sprayed in you flip the frame around so it coats all surfaces and some runs out the main tubes into the BB shell.

https://problemsolversbike.com/files...er_INST_VF.pdf
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-08-22, 11:41 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26251 Post(s)
Liked 10,233 Times in 7,102 Posts
Hi all,

...I have treated many frames internally with Rustoleum corrosion inhibitor, which leaves an oily deposit on the interior surfaces. It usually gets on the threading of the BB shell. I have honestly never thought about it as problematic. The only conceivable thing it might do in that spot that would present a problem might be if it somehow interfered with the threading enough to inhibit cup and spindle installation. Which it never has, IME.

If the frame is Italian or French threaded, I usually install the fixed cup using Loctite, if it's an old school cup and cone loose bearing BB. For that to work, you need a cleans threaded surface. So for those, I clean it with acetone oor mineral spirits before installation. Unless it's something like that, I wouldn't worry much about it.
Old 03-08-22, 01:55 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
not at all, very common to treat steel frames with rustproofer like J.P Wiegle ....

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-08-22, 08:43 PM
Anfieldtramp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Common really to rustproof a steel frame internally, in fact they make products specifically for that.
Once sprayed in you flip the frame around so it coats all surfaces and some runs out the main tubes into the BB shell.

https://problemsolversbike.com/files...er_INST_VF.pdf
Yeap this was exactly what I was doing. FYI the frame is brand new, so no issue with dirt or anything. And it’s bare as well, i.e no components installed.
Old 03-08-22, 08:43 PM
Anfieldtramp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
An old tooth brush and a little WD40 or mineral spirits will do what you want but I wouldn't even worry about it. It's probably just a little waxy oily residue.
thanks for this! Will try this over the weekend
Old 03-08-22, 11:42 PM
bitpuddle

Bikes: Cinelli Nemo Tig / Battaglin Power Plus / Moots RCS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

There is a whole family of products under the WD-40 name; I think you’re confusing the rust inhibitor with th classic WD-40 product.
Likes For bitpuddle:
Old 03-08-22, 11:47 PM
bitpuddle

Bikes: Cinelli Nemo Tig / Battaglin Power Plus / Moots RCS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
I recently treated a frame with the WD-40 corrosion inhibitor, as I couldn’t get FrameSaver anywhere. The product seems similar to FrameSaver, if a bit thinner and much less noxious. It seemed to dry more quickly, as well.

After it set, I did clean out the BB/headset/seat tube before greasing and assembling, but I can’t imagine that product causing issues with the threads (particularly if you grease them).
Likes For bitpuddle:
Old 03-09-22, 05:16 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
I build bicycle frames and they all get protected inside with Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector, which is very similar to Frame Saver. The frames sit in the stand overnight to dry and he excess coating drips down and puddles in the bottom bracket. I just wipe the excess away with a rag and have never concerned myself with having it in the bottom bracket threads. Its just a wax coating and won't hurt anything. I can't even imagine what kind of harm someone could think it would do.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 03-09-22, 09:03 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
I build bicycle frames and they all get protected inside with Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector, which is very similar to Frame Saver. The frames sit in the stand overnight to dry and he excess coating drips down and puddles in the bottom bracket. I just wipe the excess away with a rag and have never concerned myself with having it in the bottom bracket threads. Its just a wax coating and won't hurt anything. I can't even imagine what kind of harm someone could think it would do.
Can't imagine? Can't even imagine?? Well, it could --

It could...

It could keep the bottom bracket from corroding into the frame, so the next time you need to replace the bottom bracket, with that waxy stuff in the interface, it could take an hour or two instead of giving you six weeks without a usable bike. That would deprive you of a chance to go buy another bike!

Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-09-22, 09:15 AM
Anfieldtramp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Can't imagine? Can't even imagine?? Well, it could --

It could...

It could keep the bottom bracket from corroding into the frame, so the next time you need to replace the bottom bracket, with that waxy stuff in the interface, it could take an hour or two instead of giving you six weeks without a usable bike. That would deprive you of a chance to go buy another bike!

So now you have no reason to give the missus for the N+1 bike 😢
Old 03-09-22, 09:34 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
So now you have no reason to give the missus for the N+1 bike 😢
Just curious.
I have never even held in my hands a brand new bare frame. Having the BB threads and shell faces chased with a proper BB alignment tool is an acceptable practice and just as important as dropout alignments. Has this been done on your frame?
Old 03-09-22, 11:24 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
thanks for this! Will try this over the weekend
Before I did the toothbrush treatment, I would just grease the threads and see if the BB cups go in easily. They probably will but if you encounter too much resistance, back them out and clean the threads. SImple.
Old 03-09-22, 11:33 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
My less than scientific approach: I'd simply grease the threads with a generous amount of marine grease (the stuff from auto parts stores for boat trailer hubs), screw in the BB and forget about it. Can't imagine that unscrewing it is going to require much more force than going on even if it's 10 years or more.

Yes, if I had to fight to screw the cups in, I'd back them pout and re-think this but till then ...
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-09-22, 11:51 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I have treated many frames internally with Rustoleum corrosion inhibitor, which leaves an oily deposit on the interior surfaces. It usually gets on the threading of the BB shell. I have honestly never thought about it as problematic. The only conceivable thing it might do in that spot that would present a problem might be if it somehow interfered with the threading enough to inhibit cup and spindle installation. Which it never has, IME.

If the frame is Italian or French threaded, I usually install the fixed cup using Loctite, if it's an old school cup and cone loose bearing BB. For that to work, you need a cleans threaded surface. So for those, I clean it with acetone oor mineral spirits before installation. Unless it's something like that, I wouldn't worry much about it.
For French threads, I used to grip the right cup in a bench vise and spin the frame. They make great, huge and powerful! wrenches. Does require good, square edges on the vise jaws. Mine now are way too beat up but I'ce stuck to English the past 40 years.
Old 03-09-22, 09:33 PM
Anfieldtramp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Just curious.
I have never even held in my hands a brand new bare frame. Having the BB threads and shell faces chased with a proper BB alignment tool is an acceptable practice and just as important as dropout alignments. Has this been done on your frame?
i intend to let my LBS do just that!
Old 03-09-22, 10:41 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Just wipe the threads with a rag before you grease them to install the bottom bracket.

You cannot possibly have hurt the bottom bracket threads, jeez. I hope all the ridiculous nonsense responses were jokes.
Likes For FastJake: