Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Stem cap came off…

Old 09-13-22, 07:47 AM
mcgeggy

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale Synapse (105)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stem cap came off…

I was on a ride (Cannondale Topstone Sora 2019) and noticed my stem cap was missing, somehow popped off and was lost mid ride. I ordered a new one. It’s the kind that screws on over the expander plug, not held in place with the little bolt. Can I just screw the new cap on? Or is there something about preload that I need to worry about? The plug is still tight inside…
Old 09-13-22, 02:41 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
The stem should hold whatever preload in on the fork. I'd worry, though, that if the stem cap unscrewed and fell out then the preload is likely suspect. It's probably worth a trip to the LBS to get a new one and make sure it's installed correctly.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-13-22, 06:57 PM
mcgeggy

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale Synapse (105)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
The stem should hold whatever preload in on the fork. I'd worry, though, that if the stem cap unscrewed and fell out then the preload is likely suspect. It's probably worth a trip to the LBS to get a new one and make sure it's installed correctly.
It was strange that it just vanished the way it did. But I’ve been riding without it and no issues. I wonder it it was over tightened the last time I had a full tuneup done, and maybe the threaded tube part cracked, and that’s why it loosened so easily and vibrated off.

If I was replacing the entire thing (cap + plug), my understanding is I would use the cap to expand the plug inside the stem, and the torque it to spec using the bolt. But if the cap worked it’s way loose however that happened, and the bolt stayed torqued in the plug, then I would just need to screw the cap back into place. No?
Old 09-14-22, 08:23 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
What pdlamb said is correct, technically the stem should hold the preload and all you need to do is add the cap.

However, there may be something wrong for the cap to fall off which is why he is suggesting redoing the preload when you get the new cap.
Likes For katsup: