Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Got a new bike, what pedals do I have

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-24-22, 07:13 PM
boba7523

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hey guys, I recently got myself a 2015 Giant Defy 1, and it comes with a Shimano pedal. But I'm not sure what kind it is. I'm suspecting it's either SPD or SPD SL but wanted to check with you guys. I'm trying to buy cycling shoes with cleats for them so I can clip in. Thank you!
Old 09-24-22, 07:21 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
That bike did not come with any specific pedals, so what it has now is whatever the previous owner installed on it. Without a description or a photo, these pedals could be any one of dozens of clipless style pedals on the market. As for shoes, you have to determine whether the pedals require either 2 bolt or 3 bolt cleats. A few cycling shoes can accept either type, but most are either one or the other. Cleats are not sold with shoes. Normally pedals are sold with the required cleats which can also be purchased separately. It is up to you to figure out what brand and model pedals were installed on your bike, they could be any one of dozens of choices. Then you have to buy the required cleats and then buy shoes those cleats can be installed on
Old 09-24-22, 07:23 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
you can usually find the Shimano model #/name somewhere on the pedal...
you can also check here: https://www.roadbikerider.com/comple...ds-and-models/

Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 09-24-22, 07:25 PM
boba7523

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
That bike did not come with any specific pedals, so what it has now is whatever the previous owner installed on it. Without a description or a photo, these pedals could be any one of dozens of clipless style pedals on the market. As for shoes, you have to determine whether the pedals require either 2 bolt or 3 bolt cleats. A few cycling shoes can accept either type, but most are either one or the other. Cleats are not sold with shoes. Normally pedals are sold with the required cleats which can also be purchased separately. It is up to you to figure out what brand and model pedals were installed on your bike, they could be any one of dozens of choices. Then you have to buy the required cleats and then buy shoes those cleats can be installed on

Thank you , you replied too fast lol. I was still uploading photos :
Old 09-24-22, 07:29 PM
alcjphil

As a new member you will not be able to upload photos until you have 10 posts. You will however be able to create a photo album to which you can upload photos where older members can examine them. and tell you what pedals you have
I know that this is often frustrating for new members but this policy had to be used due to hundreds of spam posts a few years ao

Last edited by alcjphil; 09-24-22 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-24-22, 08:09 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Damn, just google it and compare to what you have. Way easier and faster than posting here.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-24-22, 10:30 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Damn, just google it and compare to what you have. Way easier and faster than posting here.
Come on. The OP is new here and is asking an honest question. We need to just chill and cut them them some slack.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-25-22, 09:09 AM
kwb377 
Definitely an amateur...

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Stumpy FSR

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Come on. The OP is new here and is asking an honest question. We need to just chill and cut them them some slack.
We can cut them all the slack in the world, but can't help when the sole information presented is "Shimano pedals".

While the presentation may not have been palatable, they have a valid point...it would have probably taken less than two minutes to type "Shimano pedals" into Google and sifted through Images until finding a match. While the OP may be new here, I doubt they're new to the internet. Based on reading questions here and on various FB groups (cycling related and other hobbies), it's clear that people nowadays would rather type a question and wait hours to read responses than take 60 seconds of their time and find the answer themselves. "Problem solving" is quickly becoming a dying skill.

Last edited by kwb377; 09-25-22 at 09:13 AM.
Likes For kwb377:
Old 09-25-22, 09:55 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
I'm willing to bet that the OP probably came across Bike Forums after trying to google what pedal he has. In this case a polite suggestion to do a google image search of Shimano pedals would have been more welcoming to him than a curt answer. Yet we seem to support pages of posts wanting to know what we have found in dumpsters, asking for solutions for carrying golf clubs and debating if one should be welcome to bandit an organized charity ride without a shirt and helmet while complaining about troll posters. Just my two cents, but I think we could support our hobby better by helping someone learn to identify a bicycle component than feeding the trolls in other threads.

Old 09-25-22, 10:10 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by kwb377
We can cut them all the slack in the world, but can't help when the sole information presented is "Shimano pedals".

While the presentation may not have been palatable, they have a valid point...it would have probably taken less than two minutes to type "Shimano pedals" into Google and sifted through Images until finding a match. While the OP may be new here, I doubt they're new to the internet. Based on reading questions here and on various FB groups (cycling related and other hobbies), it's clear that people nowadays would rather type a question and wait hours to read responses than take 60 seconds of their time and find the answer themselves. "Problem solving" is quickly becoming a dying skill.
What is not a dying skill is the art of scolding others and generally being unpleasant for no purpose whatsoever. If someone chooses to reach out to the BF community in a way you see as awkward why comment? Let someone else respond and continue on your highly productive and efficient soulless day.

Charming as always.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 09-25-22, 10:19 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by boba7523
Hey guys, I recently got myself a 2015 Giant Defy 1, and it comes with a Shimano pedal. But I'm not sure what kind it is. I'm suspecting it's either SPD or SPD SL but wanted to check with you guys. I'm trying to buy cycling shoes with cleats for them so I can clip in. Thank you!
pretty confusing to start with, or it was to me with my feeble brain, lol. It’s even harder if you don’t have a cyclist friend or LBS (Local Bike Shop) to rely on. And of course with less than 10 post you can’t upload pictures. Perhaps this may help.

https://university.trisports.com/201...ipless-pedals/
Old 09-25-22, 12:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
I think they might be Shimano Pedals either SPD or SPD SL. Without pictures nobody will know except you. To post pictures you need to get active in the forums, there are tons of excellent current threads that people are actively posting in. You should be one of those. If that is not your interest then I might suggest as others using the great god google but if it is welcome and get posting and pretty soon in just a short time you will be able to post photos and you will be actively joining in on threads and having a great time here.
Old 09-30-22, 11:28 PM
boba7523

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey guys, I figured out the model name is inscribed on the pedal. Yes, it is SPL SL pedal.
Likes For boba7523:
Old 10-01-22, 09:53 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Yep, it doesn't get any easier than using Google Lens.
Old 10-01-22, 02:18 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
Originally Posted by boba7523
Hey guys, I figured out the model name is inscribed on the pedal. Yes, it is SPL SL pedal.
What’s the model name?
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 10-01-22, 03:28 PM
boba7523

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
What’s the model name?
They are Shimano pd-r540 I believe, I forgot. But SPD SL for sure.
Likes For boba7523:
Old 10-01-22, 06:43 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by kwb377

To be fair, Shimano has made multiple types of pedals in many different models. While SPD and SPD-SL are noticeably different, I would expect a newbie to have a hack of a time telling between SPD-SL and the older Shimano models using the Look Delta system, and imagine asking here could get a faster answer... once they could upload the pics, of course.