Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tubeles sealant sipping on both sides on both tires

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-22, 10:51 AM
PNB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I used (briefly) the search function but got no real useful hit.
here is the story:
I have a some 10Y old 26" fully which I use only occasionally and did not at all for a few years since I was on an expat mission.
So the tires (Schwalbe Nobby Nic Tubeless Ready) are still in pretty good conditions.
I refilled the sealant altogether maybe 3-4 times over the years (always Stan's) and the last times some 6-9 months ago.
Since a few weeks I noticed that both sides of both tires are constantly wet from sealant and you can notice some tiny bubbles.
The pressure loss over weeks is negligible and I'm wondering what's going on and if I should expect some major failure any time soon.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by PNB; 10-07-22 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-07-22, 10:58 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Are they wet on the sidewalls, or at the beads?
Old 10-07-22, 11:01 AM
PNB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could be mistaken, but it really seems on the sidewalls, more in direction of the thread that the rim and quite all over the place.
Old 10-07-22, 11:30 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,202 Times in 692 Posts
Sidewall leaking sealent

Try reading this. Despite being a Stan's user for some time, I've had issues with Stan's not working on sidewalls.

Barry
Old 10-07-22, 12:17 PM
PNB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
Try reading this. Despite being a Stan's user for some time, I've had issues with Stan's not working on sidewalls.

Barry
I don´t see many similarities.
My tires are mounted since years, never lost significantly pressure nor doing it now.
Till a few weeks ago everything was pretty much unspectacular and then they started getting wet from the inside out, both tires, both sides. At once.
Old 10-07-22, 03:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
I don't know the particulars of your tires, but am forced to wonder of maybe the sealant attacked the rubber coating inside the tire, and now it's "breathing" through the walls. In theory, the sealant would close this, but the nature of tire sealants is that riding drives it outward as the wheels spin, so they're very effective in the tread area. However, no natural action would replenish sealant at the side walls.

You can live with now since it doesn't seem to be causing more than minor annoyance. Or you can try your luck by removing wheels and laying them at a slight tilt and spinning them slowly for a while. Then repeat on the other side. No guaranties, but trying is free.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-07-22, 07:18 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Some tires just seem to do that usually it is the thinner walled race tires. The rear tire on my hardtail does it. Doesn't seem to hurt anything other than needing the sealant checked more often so I ignore it.
Old 10-07-22, 07:36 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 1,793 Posts
You could just lay the bike on its side and spin the wheels a few times. Then flip it and do the other side.

It might be the side walls are just disintegrating and becoming more porous, but I have the same tires and they have been fine for years, albeit with orange seal.

It could be something as trivial as not shaking the bottle of sealant enough before replenishing it.
Old 10-07-22, 07:47 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
We see this fairly regularly in the bike shop. Not a good thing, obviously creates a situation where the sealant needs to be replenished more often, but other than that, it's a non-issue as long as you don't mind how it looks and the tires are still holding air. Canker is correct, it seems to happen more with lighter tires with thin sidewalls.
Old 10-08-22, 02:32 AM
PNB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
We see this fairly regularly in the bike shop. Not a good thing, obviously creates a situation where the sealant needs to be replenished more often, but other than that, it's a non-issue as long as you don't mind how it looks and the tires are still holding air. Canker is correct, it seems to happen more with lighter tires with thin sidewalls.
Thanks for the feedback.
Again, I'm surprised that it never happened before and started now that the tires are so old.
I´d just like to avoid a sudden failure when I´d possibly be in the middle of nowhere in case the tires are somehow deteriorated for whatever reason.
Old 10-08-22, 02:38 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by PNB
Thanks for the feedback.
Again, I'm surprised that it never happened before and started now that the tires are so old.
I´d just like to avoid a sudden failure when I´d possibly be in the middle of nowhere in case the tires are somehow deteriorated for whatever reason.
tires/rubber will be affected by oxidation,ozone etc over time so something happening with age is not surprising..... (kinda like my knees)

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 10-10-22, 05:42 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
FWIW: various sources recommend that auto tires be replaces at either 6 or 10 years after date of manufacture. So yes, deterioration due to ozone/UV/etc . . . exposure is a real "thing" for tires of all types.

Up to you whether or not you replace the tires in question. But if they're approaching 10 years old, you might want to consider the cost of new tires vs. the inconvenience of a roadside tire failure you can't patch or boot. Or worse.
Old 10-10-22, 05:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
are there any cracks appearing in the rubber? If you see cracking, they could be dry rotting.
Old 10-11-22, 11:08 AM
PNB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
FWIW: various sources recommend that auto tires be replaces at either 6 or 10 years after date of manufacture. So yes, deterioration due to ozone/UV/etc . . . exposure is a real "thing" for tires of all types.

Up to you whether or not you replace the tires in question. But if they're approaching 10 years old, you might want to consider the cost of new tires vs. the inconvenience of a roadside tire failure you can't patch or boot. Or worse.
Yes, I will replace them. Thanks.
Old 10-11-22, 03:31 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
After two years of running tires tubeless some begin to leak. I've read that this is because running tires tubeless stresses the tire more than it would if you had tubes. When my tires began to leak sealant at the sidewalls I positioned the tire on its side so that the sealant would flow to that area, and the leak stopped for a while. I eventually gave up and scraped out all the sealant I could, and put in a tube. No problems now.
Old 10-11-22, 09:30 PM
PNB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
After two years of running tires tubeless some begin to leak. I've read that this is because running tires tubeless stresses the tire more than it would if you had tubes. When my tires began to leak sealant at the sidewalls I positioned the tire on its side so that the sealant would flow to that area, and the leak stopped for a while. I eventually gave up and scraped out all the sealant I could, and put in a tube. No problems now.
I can hardly believe that the tube would provide any relief from stress.
More likely with a tube you wouldn´t see any sealant leakage because there is no sealant in the first place.
Which also means that the tire still holds.

In my case I had tubes at the beginning.
After a puncture (snake bite?) it was very hard to replace the tube and I almost broke the tire levers because the tires sit so tight.
Thatś why I moved to tubeless.
Last Fall I wanted to put a winter tire with spikes (with tube) on the front wheel and, for the first time in my life, I gave up altogether.
With another bike/different rims and the very same winter tire I barely needed tire levers.
So I ended buying a new front wheel for the winter tire and it worked like a charm.

Last edited by PNB; 10-11-22 at 09:38 PM.