Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Modern brake attachment problem on 1982 Fuji team

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-22, 04:53 PM
arewolfe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

In my attempt to upgrade my 1982 Fuji team I bought a Tektro r315 rear brake and quickly realized the cylindrical piece that receives the screw (to attach the brake to the frame on the crossbar between the seat stays) is too large for the frame. The diameter of the cylinder is larger than the brake mount hole drilled into the frame. Is the cylinder size a modern component that fits most frames built after a certain year? It seems my choices are:

A) replace the bolt that attaches the brake to the frame with something a lot longer, and get a makeshift hex bolt to secure it.

B) find some type of adapter so the cylindrical peice can serve its function in attaching the brake to the frame... though the stock Tektro screw is very short (barely reaches through the brake mount hole on the Fuji).

C) get a new frame 😂

Am I missing something? Any advice welcome. The old Diacomp brakes (I believe they were original) are terrible.

Last edited by arewolfe; 10-08-22 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-08-22, 05:19 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
What you now have are "recessed nut" brakes and that elongated nut needs an 8mm hole to fit in but only at the front of the brake bridge. It's a bit tricky to drill out only the front side of the bridge because the seat tube blocks it. It can be done using a very short 8mm or 5/16" drill bit, clamping the bit in a pair of vise-grips and rotating the bit by hand a fraction of a turn at a time. It's laborious but it works.
Old 10-08-22, 05:39 PM
arewolfe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks. Are "non-recessed nut" brakes easy to find? That'd be my first choice before drilling the frame.

EDIT: Found 'em Thanks again!

Last edited by arewolfe; 10-08-22 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-08-22, 05:59 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by arewolfe
Thanks. Are "non-recessed nut" brakes easy to find? That'd be my first choice before drilling the frame.

"Nutted" vs "Recessed" mounts.

You're probably going to want something like these as well, unless the brakes come with them, and/or the back of the fork is flat.

​​​​​​https://www.porkchopbmx.com/dia-comp...spacer-fo.html

​​​​​​https://www.porkchopbmx.com/dia-comp...-46156262.html
Old 10-08-22, 11:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,424 Posts
Thanks. Are "non-recessed nut" brakes easy to find?

ANY 6mm (6x1) nut will do. It's just a plain nut.

However, that style brake bridge needs 2 hemispheral washers to properly support the tube so it doesn't get squashed flat.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-09-22, 01:04 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
ANY 6mm (6x1) nut will do. It's just a plain nut.
It also needs a longer mounting bolt because the ones that use recessed nuts don't reach all the way through the bridge/fork crown.
Old 10-09-22, 08:24 AM
Mr. 66

Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
I would use the front brake on the rear nut mounted, and replace the short bolt with a longer for nut mount on front.

I did just that on a brake swap for a '77 Nishiki
Old 10-10-22, 07:26 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I would use the front brake on the rear nut mounted, and replace the short bolt with a longer for nut mount on front.
A variation on this is to use the front brake on the rear with. a nut as mentioned above. For the front, drill out the rear of the fork to 8mm/5/16" and use the rear brake with a long recessed nut (they are available up to 30 mm) or just use the rear brake and a regular nut inserted under the fork crown into the open bottom of the steerer.

Here is a Youtube video:

I realize this is moot as you already found real nutted calipers but it may help someone else.

Last edited by HillRider; 10-10-22 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-10-22, 08:36 AM
arewolfe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow, great responses. Thanks.

I ordered a Tektro 539 rear brake that supposedly has a 1-3/8" bolt which will reach through the frame.

As for the front brake swap idea, I don't have one. I'm a brakelss BMX guy who just wants an around-town cruiser (bought the Fuji for $100 and have been upgrading it slowly) so one rear brake is plenty.
Old 10-21-22, 09:17 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
70% of your braking power comes from the front wheel. So, if you insist on having only one brake on a road-ridden bike, (and if you do, you are always and eternally wrong,) that brake must be on the front.

Unless you have a large life insurance policy, the beneficiary of which you want to make wealthy very soon. In which case, have at.

Bicycles have two brakes for very, very, very good reasons.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 10-22-22, 04:42 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
You found the answer - you need brakes with a nutted mount. I had the same problem replacing brakes on an '85 Fuji, and ended up buying those Tektro R539s that you linked to. Those are fantastic dual-pivot brakes, much better than the stock calipers.
Old 10-22-22, 02:36 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
. I had the same problem replacing brakes on an '85 Fuji, and ended up buying those Tektro R539s that you linked to.
Which model Fuji? My' 85 League is recessed. 1985 seems a couple of years late to me for nutted brakes on a bike shop bike.

--Shannon
Old 10-22-22, 05:37 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
Which model Fuji? My' 85 League is recessed. 1985 seems a couple of years late to me for nutted brakes on a bike shop bike.

--Shannon
It was an '85 Sagres. I no longer have that bike but interestingly, I just acquired an '86 Sagres almost by accident and I got it for free. I'm restoring it because it has the same quad-butted Valite frame that other bikes higher in the food chain had, and I like the way Fuji's "sport touring" bikes ride and handle. It has the same brake setup, nutted. Also 27" wheels which is also kind of late in the game.
Old 10-22-22, 09:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,852 Times in 2,302 Posts
Wow, great responses. Thanks.

I ordered a Tektro 539 rear brake that supposedly has a 1-3/8" bolt which will reach through the frame.

As for the front brake swap idea, I don't have one. I'm a brakelss BMX guy who just wants an around-town cruiser (bought the Fuji for $100 and have been upgrading it slowly) so one rear brake is plenty.
Since I like to be able to stop quickly I don't ride bikes without front brakes. If I were to only be restricted to only one brake it would be the front, again because of stopping ability. Andy (who is right handed and operates the front brake with this dominate hand)