Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Park Tool MQ-1 METRIC QUAD WRENCH

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-22, 03:04 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts

We love this tool and have one in our portable operations box. We are setting up a 2nd portable operations box but can't seem to find one and Park Tool has discontinued it. WE searched other manufactures for a similar item with no luck. Fixed sockets are 15mm, 17mm & 19mm. We like to keep a 14mm socket the 3/8" drive end

Anyone have one that they can part with or know of a like item? Thanks

Old 10-12-22, 04:08 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 463 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
We love this tool and have one in our portable operations box. We are setting up a 2nd portable operations box but can't seem to find one and Park Tool has discontinued it. WE searched other manufactures for a similar item with no luck. Fixed sockets are 15mm, 17mm & 19mm. We like to keep a 14mm socket the 3/8" drive end

Anyone have one that they can part with or know of a like item? Thanks
Icycle Texas appears to still have it in stock; so does The Pedaler Bike Shop (not sure if they'll ship, but I think they will). Dunno what either wants for S&H, though.

Last edited by Hondo6; 10-12-22 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Add possible 2nd source.
Old 10-12-22, 09:28 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Like this?

https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bi...country_id=261

12-13-14-15mm sockets.
Old 10-12-22, 10:10 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by Hondo6
Icycle Texas appears to still have it in stock; so does The Pedaler Bike Shop (not sure if they'll ship, but I think they will). Dunno what either wants for S&H, though.

Thank you, they actually had 2 in stock per their website. We bought one and left the other for the next guy. Rechecked also with Park Tools to see if they were considering putting it back into production., they are not.

Old 10-12-22, 10:19 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Thanks, similar but not quite, the 17mm would be important to use to work on children's bikes with training wheels.

Much more expensive, mostly due to shipping, $65.19m including shipping to US vs the Park Tool one from iCycle at $ 39.47 shipped

Old 10-13-22, 03:59 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 463 Posts
Thank you, they actually had 2 in stock per their website. We bought one and left the other for the next guy. Rechecked also with Park Tools to see if they were considering putting it back into production., they are not.
Glad to help when I can. Hope the second portable operation rig works out as well as your first.
Old 10-13-22, 12:07 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by Hondo6
Glad to help when I can. Hope the second portable operation rig works out as well as your first.
Appreciate the kind words but unfortunately we have just got word that their inventory is not accurate and they cancelled the order due to no stock so we are back at square one.,.. still looking for this tool.

Old 10-13-22, 01:34 PM
Patty Up North

Bikes: Ghost HTX 7500 2005 & Fuji Touring 2016

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
How about just welding the sockets and the 3/8 square on a regular crossed tool that would be used on a car? Or weld it up in the size of your dreams. Should be a quickie for a machinist or a welder if you supplied the bits and bobs.

I have shortened a lot of regular tools, mostly box wrenches, to fit in my under-the-saddle toolkit. I I where to ride a IGH, I would make a 8, 10 and 15 kombo tool. Not as much leverage as a regular tool, but better than the tool that I would not bring.

Last edited by Patty Up North; 10-13-22 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-13-22, 02:19 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
Originally Posted by Patty Up North
How about just welding the sockets and the 3/8 square on a regular crossed tool that would be used on a car? Or weld it up in the size of your dreams. Should be a quickie for a machinist or a welder if you supplied the bits and bobs.

I have shortened a lot of regular tools, mostly box wrenches, to fit in my under-the-saddle toolkit. I I where to ride a IGH, I would make a 8, 10 and 15 kombo tool. Not as much leverage as a regular tool, but better than the tool that I would not bring.
This has 2 of the needed sizes.
https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T...000FW2NU8?th=1
Cut off the 21 & 22 mm and weld on 14 & 15mm sockets and you're set.
Old 10-13-22, 02:55 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
This has 2 of the needed sizes.
https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T...000FW2NU8?th=1
Cut off the 21 & 22 mm and weld on 14 & 15mm sockets and you're set.
Originally Posted by Patty Up North

Thank you for the suggestions but......

Sure we could have a custom tool built but at what cost? We are a volunteer 501c3 bike shop and are frugal on how we spend our money.

Most of our funds go toward buying parts for the 2,000 bikes a year we repair at no charge to our partners and their clients. Custom made tools are down near the bottom of our list of needs. We bought the original tool (new) for under $21 (including shipping) back in May of 2019. The new tool was going to cost almost $40 including shipping. I think that was about the limit I wanted to spend. We could use other off-the-shelf tools to accomplish the same tasks such as a "T" wrench with a 3/8 drive head, which we can purchase for about $16. I hope you can see my point.

We found this Park Tool MQ-1 perfect in the amount of leverage we sometimes need and the size of it fit well into "large tool" box. That along with the 3/8 drive head, allowed us to use a 14mm socket for tough crank removals or a 13mm socket for those older front axle nuts we run into. It was a well rounded 'goto" tool for the tougher bolts/nuts.

Now if someone wants to volunteer and make this tool for us, we would be happy to entertain it. We do not have a welder nor the knowledge to build a dependable and sturdy tool like this.

Old 10-13-22, 03:15 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,908 Times in 1,139 Posts
Joe,
You know I always fall for a good story about thrifty-ness. Send me your shipping info and I will spend a few minutes either in a pawn shop or in one of my local junk yards and find what you need. I suspect that a good breaker bar and four sockets would do the same thing for you and be easily toted around in a mobile tool box. Smiles, MH
Old 10-13-22, 03:19 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
I'm frugal too, but that wouldn't stop me from picking up an old lug wrench and a couple sockets out of the "orphan bin" at a pawn shop, using a hack saw to cut of the 2? ends I don't need, and look for a weldor that'll donate a few minutes of their time and an electrode or 2 to a non profit. You'll probably find 1 or 2 sizes are already "close enough".
Can't they write off some absurd amount on their taxes for a charitable contribution?
Else, quit whining and go without.
Old 10-13-22, 04:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions but......

Sure we could have a custom tool built but at what cost? We are a volunteer 501c3 bike shop and are frugal on how we spend our money.

Most of our funds go toward buying parts for the 2,000 bikes a year we repair at no charge to our partners and their clients. Custom made tools are down near the bottom of our list of needs. We bought the original tool (new) for under $21 (including shipping) back in May of 2019. The new tool was going to cost almost $40 including shipping. I think that was about the limit I wanted to spend. We could use other off-the-shelf tools to accomplish the same tasks such as a "T" wrench with a 3/8 drive head, which we can purchase for about $16. I hope you can see my point.

We found this Park Tool MQ-1 perfect in the amount of leverage we sometimes need and the size of it fit well into "large tool" box. That along with the 3/8 drive head, allowed us to use a 14mm socket for tough crank removals or a 13mm socket for those older front axle nuts we run into. It was a well rounded 'goto" tool for the tougher bolts/nuts.

Now if someone wants to volunteer and make this tool for us, we would be happy to entertain it. We do not have a welder nor the knowledge to build a dependable and sturdy tool like this.

If this is true reach out to Park and Pedros and other bicycle tool companies or even other major tool companies and say hey this is what we do this is who we are can you help us out at all? You might not get that specific tool but I am sure if you gave them your story they might send you ratchet and some sockets to accomplish what you need and maybe other support as well. If nothing else they will say sorry we can't help and you just took a little time but more than likely they might help out in some way.
Old 10-14-22, 01:13 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Joe,
You know I always fall for a good story about thrifty-ness. Send me your shipping info and I will spend a few minutes either in a pawn shop or in one of my local junk yards and find what you need. I suspect that a good breaker bar and four sockets would do the same thing for you and be easily toted around in a mobile tool box. Smiles, MH
Dave, Thanks for the offer but we already have a 18" breaker bar and a full socket set in the kit.

Old 10-14-22, 01:16 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I'm frugal too, but that wouldn't stop me from picking up an old lug wrench and a couple sockets out of the "orphan bin" at a pawn shop, using a hack saw to cut of the 2? ends I don't need, and look for a weldor that'll donate a few minutes of their time and an electrode or 2 to a non profit. You'll probably find 1 or 2 sizes are already "close enough".
Can't they write off some absurd amount on their taxes for a charitable contribution?
Else, quit whining and go without.
Not Whining, just trying to find the right tool for our 2nd team

Old 10-14-22, 01:30 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by veganbikes
If this is true reach out to Park and Pedros and other bicycle tool companies or even other major tool companies and say hey this is what we do this is who we are can you help us out at all? You might not get that specific tool but I am sure if you gave them your story they might send you ratchet and some sockets to accomplish what you need and maybe other support as well. If nothing else they will say sorry we can't help and you just took a little time but more than likely they might help out in some way.
Thanks, We did reach out to Park Tool, they only said"There is no plan to resume production of the MQ-1."

We did a search at Pedros and other bike tool companies for a like item without luck, that is why we started this thread to see if someone out there had a line on one.

Old 10-14-22, 03:29 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

The search is over.

A respected member of this forum has contacted me via private message and is shipping us one of these tools. Thank you Steve.

Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 10-15-22, 11:02 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Thanks, We did reach out to Park Tool, they only said"There is no plan to resume production of the MQ-1."

We did a search at Pedros and other bike tool companies for a like item without luck, that is why we started this thread to see if someone out there had a line on one.
You missed the point, my point was not to reach out to these companies for that specific tool but to reach out and say "hey we are a non-profit that fixes 2000 bikes a year and we rely on donations we really need some certain tools to keep us rolling and wondering if you can help us out in any way with that" Park Tool for instance makes a serviceable ratcheting wrench with bits and at least did make a breaker bar as well. Plus if you are mobile the Big Blue Tool box is quite nice, it rolls and can fit quite a number of tools in it.

I am glad you found the tool from another forum member that is awesome but I would still reach out to these companies and see if they have any willingness or ability to donate some tools or maybe even time depending on location or something like that.
Old 10-16-22, 01:09 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by veganbikes
You missed the point, my point was not to reach out to these companies for that specific tool but to reach out and say "hey we are a non-profit that fixes 2000 bikes a year and we rely on donations we really need some certain tools to keep us rolling and wondering if you can help us out in any way with that" Park Tool for instance makes a serviceable ratcheting wrench with bits and at least did make a breaker bar as well. Plus if you are mobile the Big Blue Tool box is quite nice, it rolls and can fit quite a number of tools in it.

I am glad you found the tool from another forum member that is awesome but I would still reach out to these companies and see if they have any willingness or ability to donate some tools or maybe even time depending on location or something like that.
I guess I did miss your point, sorry.

Part Tool has a Community Grant program https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/...ty-tool-grants, which they award annually to 10 organizations worldwide.

We have applied each year since 2019 but have not been selected yet (we will try again this year, program opens Nov.1). Never reached out to Pedro's .

The Big Blue Tool Box is nice but again costly, We had donated in a few of these small rolling carts with seats from a local company that was running a promotion. They work out well for organizing the smaller tools. We have since replaced the wheels with a small 12x18 dolly bolted to the bottom for better roll.

Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 10-16-22, 10:22 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I guess I did miss your point, sorry.

Part Tool has a Community Grant program https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/...ty-tool-grants, which they award annually to 10 organizations worldwide.

We have applied each year since 2019 but have not been selected yet (we will try again this year, program opens Nov.1). Never reached out to Pedro's .

The Big Blue Tool Box is nice but again costly, We had donated in a few of these small rolling carts with seats from a local company that was running a promotion. They work out well for organizing the smaller tools. We have since replaced the wheels with a small 12x18 dolly bolted to the bottom for better roll.
Try Pedros, Unior, Beta, PB Swiss...it can't hurt and even if they say no you can at least say you tried. I always find if you ask you might get something maybe just a product to test maybe it is a product you can turn around in a year and sell to make money for the organization or to attract folks to help out.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-16-22, 11:23 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,054 Posts
There's no need for the OP to post 15 reasons why only the MQ-1 will do. Right, got it. For anyone else's similar requirements, perhaps a common dogbone wrench?

Likes For tcs:
Old 10-16-22, 11:44 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 1,044 Posts

https://www.aliexpress.us