Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

RivNut Question

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

RivNut Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-22, 05:17 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
RivNut Question

I am doing a ebike conversion for a friend. The frame is aTrek Antelope. The battery will be mounted on the DT. I would like to add 2 more mounting points to to make it more secure but don't want to mess up the nice paint. Wi using a RivNut compromise the DT?
Thanks!
Old 10-22-22, 07:53 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
It's not likely to hold.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 10-22-22, 09:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Rivnuts have a bad enough time dealing with the mass of a water bottle. Is the motor less weight? How does the motor react to its drive forces? How do the various mounting points deal with this vector? If the Rivnuts were positioned so that only shear forces are seen and there are no rocking forces than maybe enough Rivnuts could work, but I wouldn't trust it until a trial was done with enough miles/cycles to make me comfy. Andy
Old 10-22-22, 09:33 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

It's for batteries, not the motor, so there isn't a concern with torque. OTOH, I recently saw a pic where a battery just ripped out a batch of mount points. Most production ebikes don't use water bottle mounts at all.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 10-22-22, 09:57 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
My mistake for not catching the battery mounting aspect. Still my concerns are much the same as Eric's.

Tom mentions adding additional mounts. I assume this is in addition to the factory bottle mounts. Steel or alloy frame (as in brazed in place bosses or compressed rivnut types)? Andy
Old 10-23-22, 05:50 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Thanks for the replies. For perspective I Used Rivnuts on my ebike conversion, a Giant Escape,which is an aluminum frame. Have about 1400 as of yesterday. This is my commuter bike.
Old 10-23-22, 07:51 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

It won't compromise the dt until the rivnuts tear out. If you're convinced it will work, have at it.
Old 10-23-22, 02:55 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Get one of these mounts, and run the hose clamps. Most secure mounting I've done or seen. They come with some heat shrink for the clamps to protect the paint, I just used some rubber strips from a reflector set and it looks much better.

I have added a rivnut as well, it was okay. Still had to run the hose clamps, too much movement without them.

https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicy...ouble-bob.html

https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicy...riple-bob.html
Old 10-23-22, 10:48 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Wes's solution seems like a solid one. It would also be possible to drill holes on the other side of the tube so that the bosses being used could be attached with bolts going all the way through the tube. Of course there would need to be reinforcements around all the holes (probably made out of .058" wall tubing) to distribute the stresses over a wider area.
Old 10-24-22, 12:50 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I like that clamp on mount. I'm wondering if I should get something like that laser cut to be brazed on.