Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tacx Galaxia rollers or Elite Arion mag rollers?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-03-22, 05:16 AM
AlfaW

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Hello for everyone!

We almost into winter mode and because i mostly ride gravel/road bike - i want to train indoor this winter. After research i have came to conclusion, that for me better suits rollers.

I selected 2 options:

Elite Arion Mag https://www.elite-it.com/en/products...lers/arion-mag

Tacx® Galaxia https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/690895

For me important ability to train hard and to be able to do speed intervals. As i understand - it's better to get rollers with resistance. From another side - galaxia has some kind of Swing System, but no resistance.
Another important thing - i need to be able to connect rollers to Zwift. For that i need to buy any cadence & speed sensor as i understand.

Can you share your experience with this rollers and what you would recommend? Personally i aim more towards Elite Arion Mag.

Thank you
Old 11-03-22, 07:22 AM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Neither of the above but if your budget permits Tru Trainer rollers will last you a lifetime. I retired my 30 YO Performance rollers with turbine fan resistance. The Tru Trainers have a flywheel for resistance in the middle roller. It is more resistance than the fans. Same Sufferfest workouts are more difficult and the power readings more sensitive. For a better Zwift experience I think a smart trainer is better but I love my rollers and get plenty of workouts from Sufferfest and the new offerings from Wahoo.
Old 11-03-22, 09:09 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,979 Posts
If you wanted a more realistic Zwift experience with rollers (i.e. dynamic resistance/power) then you might want to look at the Elite Nero smart rollers. However, if you are looking to do any productive interval training then you are far better off with a smart trainer. Zwift without accurate power is not very meaningful.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-03-22, 09:47 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
This should be in Indoor and Stationary cycling.

Not a fan of rollers either. Tried using one and even with powermeter pedals, intervals and virtual riding were lacking. If speed work, ie, pedaling really fast for no good reason with no realistic resistance is all you care about, then sure, rollers are a choice.
Old 11-03-22, 10:08 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I'd pick up a used set off of your local Craigslist. Determine if the roller experience is for you before shelling out serious money.
Old 11-03-22, 11:34 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked 1,931 Times in 1,378 Posts
I think rollers w/o resistance are good for recovery spins and that's it. You really need resistance. A power meter on the bike is best, but these rollers:
https://www.sportcrafters.com/produc...ve-pro-rollers
come with a power curve so you can get close with just speed. I've seen good reports of these from BFers.

I've been training on resistance rollers for ~25 years, the same set. One of the things I really like about them is that you just throw your road bike on and start riding. Compared to wheel-on trainers, tire wear is almost non-existent. Also of course they keep your ability to ride in a straight line intact. They don't have a flywheel, so it's true that it's not like riding your bike on the flat - there's very little momentum. OTOH I prefer it because it's more like climbing, where there's not much momentum, and climbing well is a good skill to have. One gets better at pedaling with a steady HMMMMM instead of HMMmmmMMMmmmMMM. One has auditory feedback.
Old 11-03-22, 12:08 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
I have used rollers AND a smart trainer in the past. For your stated goals, you are going to do best with a smart trainer.
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-03-22, 12:31 PM
AlfaW

Originally Posted by datlas
I have used rollers AND a smart trainer in the past. For your stated goals, you are going to do best with a smart trainer.
I agree. I wanted to buy Zwift Hub for around 450-500 EUR, but they are out of stock and no clear answer when they will be available for order in Europe. All other trainers seems to be around 600 EUR+. Not sure I'm ready to invest 600+ EUR for smart trainer at the moment and for some reason i believe, that roller will be more fun to ride. As far, as i can get at least some close-to-true results from Zwift i will be fine.
Old 11-03-22, 12:34 PM
AlfaW

Originally Posted by PeteHski
If you wanted a more realistic Zwift experience with rollers (i.e. dynamic resistance/power) then you might want to look at the Elite Nero smart rollers. However, if you are looking to do any productive interval training then you are far better off with a smart trainer. Zwift without accurate power is not very meaningful.
hmm, 500+ EUR. You almost can get Smart trainer for this price.
Old 11-03-22, 12:36 PM
Zaskar

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Legit question: With power-based (direct and wheel-on) trainers, what purpose do rollers serve? I think the "it helps even our your pedal stroke" thing is a myth. If you're able to ride rollers, chances are you've been riding so long that rollers aren't going to change how you ride.

Unsolicited opinion: Rollers are an outdated tool that survived well past their usefulness because it was cool say you trained on (were able to use) rollers.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 11-03-22, 12:36 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by AlfaW
I know snooty people will look down on them, but a wheel-on smart trainer can likely be found at your price. I have a Wahoo Kickr Snap and it's fine for occasional Zwifting.

My concern is that with "regular" rollers when you need to do a sprint or speed up, you are going to have to compromise between stability (staying up) and power output.
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-03-22, 12:42 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 443 Posts
rollers all the way. I can get a soak-the-floor-with-sweat workout with no resistance. It's more fun, keeps you more attentive to pedaling smooth circles, cuz if you don't, you fall off.
Old 11-03-22, 12:48 PM
waters60

Originally Posted by surak
This should be in Indoor and Stationary cycling.

Not a fan of rollers either. Tried using one and even with powermeter pedals, intervals and virtual riding were lacking. If speed work, ie, pedaling really fast for no good reason with no realistic resistance is all you care about, then sure, rollers are a choice.
My guess is you have never ridden rollers with resistance. As a post below says, just being able to put your bike on the rollers is a huge advantage. As far as Zwift I can get plenty of workouts from Wahoo, from Sufferfest to their newly acquired RDP. I am also looking forward to re-creating my power output from segments of rides with long climbs. All of these things back in the days of rollers without resistance using HR as a metric were but a dream. It is a whole new world.
Old 11-03-22, 12:54 PM
waters60

Originally Posted by Zaskar
Legit question: With power-based (direct and wheel-on) trainers, what purpose do rollers serve? I think the "it helps even our your pedal stroke" thing is a myth. If you're able to ride rollers, chances are you've been riding so long that rollers aren't going to change how you ride.

Unsolicited opinion: Rollers are an outdated tool that survived well past their usefulness because it was cool say you trained on (were able to use) rollers.
Mine won’t be outdated for about 30 years or more. Another benefit is the balance needed to ride them. At age 62 I know that balance can become a casualty of aging and reinforcing one’s sense of balance is a valuable way to prevent its loss.
I also know that I am cooler because I ride rollers. Funny how when I tell people I ride rollers they are impressed; that is their unsolicited response!
Old 11-03-22, 01:00 PM
Zaskar

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
Mine won’t be outdated for about 30 years or more. Another benefit is the balance needed to ride them. At age 62 I know that balance can become a casualty of aging and reinforcing one’s sense of balance is a valuable way to prevent its loss.
I also know that I am cooler because I ride rollers. Funny how when I tell people I ride rollers they are impressed; that is their unsolicited response!
Both great responses!
Old 11-03-22, 01:05 PM
waters60

Originally Posted by Zaskar

Bike Forums has a mind of its own!
Sorry about double posting…
Old 11-03-22, 01:18 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
My guess is you have never ridden rollers with resistance. As a post below says, just being able to put your bike on the rollers is a huge advantage. As far as Zwift I can get plenty of workouts from Wahoo, from Sufferfest to their newly acquired RDP. I am also looking forward to re-creating my power output from segments of rides with long climbs. All of these things back in the days of rollers without resistance using HR as a metric were but a dream. It is a whole new world.
Your guess is wrong.
Likes For surak:
Old 11-03-22, 03:07 PM
AlfaW

So many different opinions..

I already looked for used rollers and couldn't find any interesting models, only few basic ones. So I will have to go for a new rollers from local store or from bike24 etc. I guess there is no point to wait Zwift Hub, as it might take ages. And still, rollers looks kinda more appealing for me, then smart trainer. Hard to choose, when you cannot try before purchasing
Old 11-03-22, 03:16 PM
waters60

Originally Posted by surak
Your guess is wrong.
If speed work, ie, pedaling really fast for no good reason with no realistic resistance is all you care about, then sure, rollers are a choice.“
Perhaps you never rode rollers with “ realistic “ resistance, which is a shame, because the resistance on my Tru Trainers is very real!
I get real resistance, balance and lots of fun. 30 years worth so far.
Old 11-03-22, 03:39 PM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,979 Posts
Sure, but you specifically asked about rollers for use on Zwift. For Zwift to have any meaning (other than just watching an avatar randomly move on the screen) you need dynamic resistance. I did briefly consider the Nero rollers over a fixed smart trainer, but glad I went with the trainer. Reviews of the Nero were a mized bag in terms of it's resistance characteristics.

Basically if your aim is to get fitter over winter then a smart trainer is your best choice for banging out the Watts. You could supplement your training with a set of conventional rollers if balancing on rollers is a skill that you really think will help your bike riding.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-03-22, 08:57 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Can you share your experience with this rollers and what you would recommend? Personally i aim more towards Elite Arion Mag. Thank you
Okay so back on topic.

I have a set of the Elite Arion Mag rollers with the 3-level resistance unit built in.

They're a great unit, well built, and the raised roller edges do give you a little "nudge" if you happen to get too close to the side. They WILL NOT completely stop you from coming crashing down if you mess it up though. On the lowest settings (which I assume the no-resistance model is) there is very little to stop you from spinning out in a high gear. If you are going to get rollers, try and find a set with resistance. There are "hacks" to add resistance, but I've not tried any.

It look me about a week to be comfortable on the rollers. They can be quite entertaining/engaging and that additional movement compared to a smart trainer is nice. That said, since getting a smart trainer (Tacx NEO) I very rarely use the rollers.
Old 11-05-22, 12:23 PM
waters60

It was my experience during my brief ownership of a set of Inside Ride rollers with Smart Resistance that there was too much lag time in the resistance so quick tempo / wattage changes were problematic. I guess this applies to other smart roller resistance units. Smart trainers are definitely the way to go if you want to do Zwift.